CPTs

Alyssa

Kale65 -- very good questions -- you are an excellent mother! You have the exact right attitude for taking excellent care of your child -- you need to stay informed and ask questions!

Heather's guesses may be exactly right - they might be breaking you in slowly.... just an FYI about what happened (psychologically) to me.... my kids are very late diagnosis... our daughter was 14 when diagnosed, then a couple of years later our son was diagnosed but did not have any symptoms so we didn't do any treatments..... my daughter had been doing treatments for 5 years and I was very familiar with everything... but then my son had to start treatments I came home from his clinic visit feeling a bit out of sorts, wondering how I was going to keep track of everything :) It was kind of humorous actually, considering it was all the same stuff as I had been dealing with for 5 years, I still don't know why I felt overwhelmed, so I can only imagine what it's like for a new parent and a new diagnosis with all these new medications and treatments.

Alyssa

Kale65 -- very good questions -- you are an excellent mother! You have the exact right attitude for taking excellent care of your child -- you need to stay informed and ask questions!

Heather's guesses may be exactly right - they might be breaking you in slowly.... just an FYI about what happened (psychologically) to me.... my kids are very late diagnosis... our daughter was 14 when diagnosed, then a couple of years later our son was diagnosed but did not have any symptoms so we didn't do any treatments..... my daughter had been doing treatments for 5 years and I was very familiar with everything... but then my son had to start treatments I came home from his clinic visit feeling a bit out of sorts, wondering how I was going to keep track of everything :) It was kind of humorous actually, considering it was all the same stuff as I had been dealing with for 5 years, I still don't know why I felt overwhelmed, so I can only imagine what it's like for a new parent and a new diagnosis with all these new medications and treatments.

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
While it didn't seem so fortunate at the time, we learned how to do CPT while Max spent the first 4 weeks of his life in the nicu. He was recovering from surgery to correct a bowel obstruction due to meconium illeus and we were at the hospital waiting for him to recover, so we asked the respiratory therapists to show us what we needed to know. So one of us would study the handout we were given, while the other would do cpt under the supervision of the RT. And we'd be beating DS and he'd fall fast asleep. Even though we have the vest now, I still do CPT in the early morning before he wakes up, so he can get in an extra hour of sleep. He sleeps right thru it.

Was nice because if we had questions, we had someone right there to show us, offer suggestions, teach us how to use the nebulizer, adminster nebs. I can't imagine what it would've been like to have been given the diagnosis and then sent on our way with a list of instructions, medications, equipment.

And I still get a little flustered, overwhelmed when a new medication is added to the mix.

One of the parents of a newly diagnosed infant who was involved with great strides, had heard we did cpt, so she contacted the RT program and asked them to teach her because our local clinic takes the view of only doing CPT should lung problems occur.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
While it didn't seem so fortunate at the time, we learned how to do CPT while Max spent the first 4 weeks of his life in the nicu. He was recovering from surgery to correct a bowel obstruction due to meconium illeus and we were at the hospital waiting for him to recover, so we asked the respiratory therapists to show us what we needed to know. So one of us would study the handout we were given, while the other would do cpt under the supervision of the RT. And we'd be beating DS and he'd fall fast asleep. Even though we have the vest now, I still do CPT in the early morning before he wakes up, so he can get in an extra hour of sleep. He sleeps right thru it.

Was nice because if we had questions, we had someone right there to show us, offer suggestions, teach us how to use the nebulizer, adminster nebs. I can't imagine what it would've been like to have been given the diagnosis and then sent on our way with a list of instructions, medications, equipment.

And I still get a little flustered, overwhelmed when a new medication is added to the mix.

One of the parents of a newly diagnosed infant who was involved with great strides, had heard we did cpt, so she contacted the RT program and asked them to teach her because our local clinic takes the view of only doing CPT should lung problems occur.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member