Cracked Ribs

coltsfan715

Last year - around Christmas 2006 - I was in a similar situation to you (minus the falling part). I was sick and trying to avoid IVs at Christmas by taking oral meds and upping my CPT. Well one night I was doing my CPT and started coughing and had this God Awful snap and pop feeling that literally felt and sounded like someone had stabbed me in the back and ripped through the muscles and all.

I doubled over in pain almost immediately and could do nothing but shallow breathing without being in horrendous pain. I went to the doc and the did xrays and the whole work up and couldn't see any fractures BUT assumed that I had broken or cracked a rib and that was what was causing the horrible pain.

I went to several massage therapists because I was having such a hard time with the pain (I had refused pain meds because - many people say because I am stupod - but I don't like to take them since we take so many other things anyway). The last massage therapist I went to was actually at a therapy center and she ended up realizing that I had not cracked a rib but popped a rib out of place - basically the muscle tightened so much when I was coughing that it pulled one of the ribs it was attached to up and therefore out of place. She worked on me for about 30 minutes and when I walked out of the office 95% of my pain was gone. I went back to her for several weeks because the muscle kept trying to pull the rib up again so we had to relax the muscle enough to where it wouldn't pull the rib.

Anyway long story longer - it presented itself in a similar fashion I guess as a broken or cracked rib. I did have a spot that was tender to the touch - and I mean tender to the point that I could barely touch it and I would start to cry. That was right under my underarm. When felt and compared to the other side it was noticeably raised and "out of place". If you aren't able to get an answer from the doc maybe see about getting a script to go to physical and massage therapy for muscle spasms and back pain related to CF exacerbations. I think that is how we had the script worded for my insurance to cover the massage therapy.

I hope you start feeling better I know that pain is highly uncomfortable and makes you want to die at times.

Hope you feel better,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Last year - around Christmas 2006 - I was in a similar situation to you (minus the falling part). I was sick and trying to avoid IVs at Christmas by taking oral meds and upping my CPT. Well one night I was doing my CPT and started coughing and had this God Awful snap and pop feeling that literally felt and sounded like someone had stabbed me in the back and ripped through the muscles and all.

I doubled over in pain almost immediately and could do nothing but shallow breathing without being in horrendous pain. I went to the doc and the did xrays and the whole work up and couldn't see any fractures BUT assumed that I had broken or cracked a rib and that was what was causing the horrible pain.

I went to several massage therapists because I was having such a hard time with the pain (I had refused pain meds because - many people say because I am stupod - but I don't like to take them since we take so many other things anyway). The last massage therapist I went to was actually at a therapy center and she ended up realizing that I had not cracked a rib but popped a rib out of place - basically the muscle tightened so much when I was coughing that it pulled one of the ribs it was attached to up and therefore out of place. She worked on me for about 30 minutes and when I walked out of the office 95% of my pain was gone. I went back to her for several weeks because the muscle kept trying to pull the rib up again so we had to relax the muscle enough to where it wouldn't pull the rib.

Anyway long story longer - it presented itself in a similar fashion I guess as a broken or cracked rib. I did have a spot that was tender to the touch - and I mean tender to the point that I could barely touch it and I would start to cry. That was right under my underarm. When felt and compared to the other side it was noticeably raised and "out of place". If you aren't able to get an answer from the doc maybe see about getting a script to go to physical and massage therapy for muscle spasms and back pain related to CF exacerbations. I think that is how we had the script worded for my insurance to cover the massage therapy.

I hope you start feeling better I know that pain is highly uncomfortable and makes you want to die at times.

Hope you feel better,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Hope you feel better,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Hope you feel better,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Hope you feel better,
Lindsey

LisaV

My late husband cracked any number of ribs over his lifetime.
There is no treatment except pain meds (can't even tape you up because then you can't breathe to get crap out of your lungs).
At the end he had 3 nonunion fractured ribs just sort of hanging in there.

LisaV

There is no treatment except pain meds (can't even tape you up because then you can't breathe to get crap out of your lungs).

LisaV

LisaV

LisaV

idajune

Thanks for all the responses. I have spent hours on the internet trying to self diagnose. I am considering going to a chiropractor if my x-ray and doc appointment gives me nothing. I did wrap up with an ace bandage as I am doing my vest, it does restrict some but at this point I am getting desperate because need to be able to cough - of course. I am happy that my nurse is at least entertaining the idea that I actually cracked a rib - I know it was something. I was stunned for a few seconds when the 'pop' occurred, I was sure the neighbors heard it:)

Thanks all.

idajune

Thanks for all the responses. I have spent hours on the internet trying to self diagnose. I am considering going to a chiropractor if my x-ray and doc appointment gives me nothing. I did wrap up with an ace bandage as I am doing my vest, it does restrict some but at this point I am getting desperate because need to be able to cough - of course. I am happy that my nurse is at least entertaining the idea that I actually cracked a rib - I know it was something. I was stunned for a few seconds when the 'pop' occurred, I was sure the neighbors heard it:)

Thanks all.

idajune

Thanks all.

idajune

Thanks all.

idajune

Thanks all.