Creon capsules with microspheres not working

riehlism

Hi, I'm new to the CF Forums. My son has not been officially diagnosed, but there is high suspicion for CF. He is currently 7 months old. The plan is to treat him as if he has CF, until proven otherwise.
He has to take Creon capsules with microspheres with every meal and he hates it. He harbors them in his mouth and we were told he can't do that because of the potential for burns and sores. We were told there used to be a powdered version on the market that has now been discontinued. We were also told we could not crush the beads or try to dissolve them because that would change the functionality of the enzyme.
Are there other parents in our situation, and how are you doing this? We have tried everything from: suspending the beads in syrup and giving them through a syringe, mixing with food (that led to a feeding aversion), giving some beads and immediately chasing with water or pacifier.
This is all quite new to us, so any assistance will be helpful
Highlights in his history:
<ul>
<li>Meconium ileus at birth, requiring surgery</li>
<li>Intermittent vomiting and diarrhea, even after the switch to a hypoallergenic formula</li>
<li>Low albumin (leading to think of some type of protein-losing enteropathy, with CF as a possible differential diagnosis)</li>
<li>Low IgG</li>
<li>Same weight since he was 4 months old</li>
<li>Negative for sweat chloride</li>
<li>The three of us were negative for the most common panel of gene mutations</li>
<li>My husband is Spanish and 1/4 Italian. I am Filipino and 1/4 German.</li>
</ul>

riehlism

Hi, I'm new to the CF Forums. My son has not been officially diagnosed, but there is high suspicion for CF. He is currently 7 months old. The plan is to treat him as if he has CF, until proven otherwise.
He has to take Creon capsules with microspheres with every meal and he hates it. He harbors them in his mouth and we were told he can't do that because of the potential for burns and sores. We were told there used to be a powdered version on the market that has now been discontinued. We were also told we could not crush the beads or try to dissolve them because that would change the functionality of the enzyme.
Are there other parents in our situation, and how are you doing this? We have tried everything from: suspending the beads in syrup and giving them through a syringe, mixing with food (that led to a feeding aversion), giving some beads and immediately chasing with water or pacifier.
This is all quite new to us, so any assistance will be helpful
Highlights in his history:
<ul>
<li>Meconium ileus at birth, requiring surgery</li>
<li>Intermittent vomiting and diarrhea, even after the switch to a hypoallergenic formula</li>
<li>Low albumin (leading to think of some type of protein-losing enteropathy, with CF as a possible differential diagnosis)</li>
<li>Low IgG</li>
<li>Same weight since he was 4 months old</li>
<li>Negative for sweat chloride</li>
<li>The three of us were negative for the most common panel of gene mutations</li>
<li>My husband is Spanish and 1/4 Italian. I am Filipino and 1/4 German.</li>
</ul>

jendonl

Our dd did the same thing when she was just under 2 years old. We all found out pretty quickly that you can make a child put something in her mouth, but you can't make them swallow it. We ended up using a pill popper that we had gotten from our veterinarian for our cat. We had an extra that had never been used. You put the pill in the end of a tube and push it to the back of their mouth.
Of course, our dd was a bit older than yours and she kind of knew what we were going to do and agreed to try it. It may not be right in your situation but it worked great for us. She started using the pill popper herself and within a couple of months shewas able to take the pills whole without using it.

jendonl

Our dd did the same thing when she was just under 2 years old. We all found out pretty quickly that you can make a child put something in her mouth, but you can't make them swallow it. We ended up using a pill popper that we had gotten from our veterinarian for our cat. We had an extra that had never been used. You put the pill in the end of a tube and push it to the back of their mouth.
Of course, our dd was a bit older than yours and she kind of knew what we were going to do and agreed to try it. It may not be right in your situation but it worked great for us. She started using the pill popper herself and within a couple of months shewas able to take the pills whole without using it.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
With DS we used a tongue depresser or a really flat baby spoon with pureed bananas and washed them down quickly with the bottle.

I have heard of people putting a whole enzyme capsule into a straw and having the child suck on the straw to wash it down with the fluid. Or you could try putting a whole capsule on a spoonful of pureed fruit, followed by a drink and see if you can wash it down.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
With DS we used a tongue depresser or a really flat baby spoon with pureed bananas and washed them down quickly with the bottle.

I have heard of people putting a whole enzyme capsule into a straw and having the child suck on the straw to wash it down with the fluid. Or you could try putting a whole capsule on a spoonful of pureed fruit, followed by a drink and see if you can wash it down.

Havoc

The power stuff was horrible, which is why it was discontinued. My parents used to dump out the enteric coated spheres into applesauce or something that could be swallowed without being chewed.. Other than that, I don;t have any ideas.

Havoc

The power stuff was horrible, which is why it was discontinued. My parents used to dump out the enteric coated spheres into applesauce or something that could be swallowed without being chewed.. Other than that, I don;t have any ideas.