creon help

Tisha

The amount varies from person to person, depending on how well/bad your digestive system is working.
What I've always done is regulate depending on several variables:
1) how much fat had the actual meal (more fat = more enzymes)
2) my bowel movements (too loose = increase enzymes, too hard/several days without going = reduce enzymes).
There's many more factors, but that's my system in a nutshell...

SIcklyhatED

personally, I've always followed a rule my parents told me (who knows where they got the info): 1 enzyme for every 100 calories, give or take. Extra fatty foods may require an extra enzyme or so. I don't take enzyme with fruit, vegetables, juice, tea, soda, fat-free candy etc

I've been dosing myself since I was in early elementary school and have only had 1 bowel obstruction because I need to switch from Pancreas MT 10 to Creon.

I've also experimented with myself (shame shame, I know). I tried way up-ing my enzyme to see if bloating would go away, and I'm definitely not doing that again.... I went a few days without, not much happened. It's not really an exact science I feel. Everyone's different.

SIcklyhatED

personally, I've always followed a rule my parents told me (who knows where they got the info): 1 enzyme for every 100 calories, give or take. Extra fatty foods may require an extra enzyme or so. I don't take enzyme with fruit, vegetables, juice, tea, soda, fat-free candy etc

I've been dosing myself since I was in early elementary school and have only had 1 bowel obstruction because I need to switch from Pancreas MT 10 to Creon.

I've also experimented with myself (shame shame, I know). I tried way up-ing my enzyme to see if bloating would go away, and I'm definitely not doing that again.... I went a few days without, not much happened. It's not really an exact science I feel. Everyone's different.

SIcklyhatED

SIcklyhatED

SIcklyhatED

SIcklyhatED

verix

Hi,

I had experience care for my son w/CF in Spain and in USA.
In Spain docs at Hospital Universitario Infantil Niño Jesus, Madrid, tell us to give the creon 5-10 min before meals, because this way when food reach the intestine, the creon is there ready to work. When we came to the States, 5 years ago, Docs tell us to give the enzymes just at the beginning of the meal. And they make fun of the care in Spain, btw.
I asked recently which is the right dose and what type of foods really need creon, because my son is not gaining weight, and the nutritionist tell me to give the enzymes only for foods that contains fats. She said 1 cap. of creon for every 5 grams of fats (creon 12). If the enzymes are only for fats, I wonder why they contain also protease and amylase (to absorb proteins and carbohydrates?) but nobody truly answer my question. The nutritionist at Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus, Ohio, decides the amount of enzymes based in annual blood tests, and the charts of percentile of growth, which are taken every 2 or 3 months. In Spain, beside blood work and track of the weight, we had to make every few months a very nasty test: Van de Kamer. This test consisted in keeping track for 3 days of ALL what my son ate, measuring every ingredient of the meal before cooking, measuring the leftovers, snacks, everything..., and, collecting, starting 1 day after the tracking of the ingested food, all the stools for 3 days. With this test, Docs were able to measure absorption and prescribe the right amount of enzymes. When I asked Docs in Columbus to do the same test, they said to me that this test was not necessary. Well, I am not a doctor, not a scientist....I really do not know what is the right thing to do... I am just a mom dealing for 8 years with CF... I feel I have developed a great intuition to anticipate was going on, before docs decide to take part... Sorry I have no answer for your question, I just shared my experience, just in case it could help you.

verix

Hi,

In Spain docs at Hospital Universitario Infantil Niño Jesus, Madrid, tell us to give the creon 5-10 min before meals, because this way when food reach the intestine, the creon is there ready to work. When we came to the States, 5 years ago, Docs tell us to give the enzymes just at the beginning of the meal. And they make fun of the care in Spain, btw.
I asked recently which is the right dose and what type of foods really need creon, because my son is not gaining weight, and the nutritionist tell me to give the enzymes only for foods that contains fats. She said 1 cap. of creon for every 5 grams of fats (creon 12). If the enzymes are only for fats, I wonder why they contain also protease and amylase (to absorb proteins and carbohydrates?) but nobody truly answer my question. The nutritionist at Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus, Ohio, decides the amount of enzymes based in annual blood tests, and the charts of percentile of growth, which are taken every 2 or 3 months. In Spain, beside blood work and track of the weight, we had to make every few months a very nasty test: Van de Kamer. This test consisted in keeping track for 3 days of ALL what my son ate, measuring every ingredient of the meal before cooking, measuring the leftovers, snacks, everything..., and, collecting, starting 1 day after the tracking of the ingested food, all the stools for 3 days. With this test, Docs were able to measure absorption and prescribe the right amount of enzymes. When I asked Docs in Columbus to do the same test, they said to me that this test was not necessary. Well, I am not a doctor, not a scientist....I really do not know what is the right thing to do... I am just a mom dealing for 8 years with CF... I feel I have developed a great intuition to anticipate was going on, before docs decide to take part... Sorry I have no answer for your question, I just shared my experience, just in case it could help you.

verix

Hi,

scrapper1264

I give my son 1 enzyme per 5g of fat. The prescription states 5-6/meal and 3-4/snack, but as we all know, not all meals are the same!! Especially recently with all the Thanksgiving goodies!

scrapper1264

I give my son 1 enzyme per 5g of fat. The prescription states 5-6/meal and 3-4/snack, but as we all know, not all meals are the same!! Especially recently with all the Thanksgiving goodies!

scrapper1264

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
The enzyme issue always drove me nuts. As an infant, ds drank a higher calorie formula and when he was older we added cream to his bottles. So based on the fat content, he needed more enzymes than a baby of similar weight who maybe drank regular formula or pregestimil. He also had a slower digestive tract.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
The enzyme issue always drove me nuts. As an infant, ds drank a higher calorie formula and when he was older we added cream to his bottles. So based on the fat content, he needed more enzymes than a baby of similar weight who maybe drank regular formula or pregestimil. He also had a slower digestive tract.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

jendonl

<br>We were told that Creon 6 digests 6 grams of fat. A Creon 12 digests 12 grams of fat. So for someone who produces no enzymes of their own, they will need one Creon 6 for every 6 grams of fat consumed.There are basically 3 different kinds of Enzymes that are produced. One kind digests fat, the other two digest proteins and carbohydrates. The reason we are not concerned with anything but the fat content is that the Enzyme capsules come from pigs which have a completely different diet. The pig diet has much less fat than the human diet so pig pancreases produce a much lower level of the kind of enzymes that digest fat. Because of this, there is enough of the other two kinds of enzymes in a single Creon capsule to digest just about any amount of protein or carbohydrates you might eat in a single meal. If you eat something without any fat at all, you may still need an Enzyme capsule to digest any proteins and carbohydrates.