Creon question

Solo

It seems for years I had this gas problem, but it was ultimately helped by upping my digestive enzyme dosage. But I'm a bit concerned about taking too much enzyme. The other day I devoured a medium pizza and had to take 16 Creon so I wouldn't be over-run with gas. It seems it has a shelf life. When I first get the medicine, I usually have to take 9 or 10 enzymes. Towards the end of the month 15 or 16. I do feel better taking this many, normal bowel movements and the rash I had on my elbow for years actually has just about gone away.

My questions are, is my body getting used to Creon, maybe it's building an immunity to it so I have to take more? Does anyone think it's time to switch to another brand, I hear Zenpep has more enzyme in each capsule.

Lena Bean

I took creon when I was little and it slowly began to not work as well. Switched to pancrecarb from the first patient trials until the day it was taken off the market. I am back on creon and it seems to be working FANTASTIC again. I'd talk to your dietician and see if you can switch enzymes for at least a while.

Printer

Solo:

I take 10 Creon 24 with every meal and snack and I'm pushing the envelope. Do yourself a favor and google Steven D. Freedman, MD, PhD. He could help you.

Bill

Solo

Well forn the past 2 days I have had stomach pain. I just ignored it but this morning it was something fierce. Something is also distrupting my sleep patterns. I think my body is trying to tell me that I'm taking too much enzyme. I think I'll go back to taking 4 a meal and go up from there.

Thanks Printer, I'll check that dr. out!

Lena, I don't have an appointment with my drs for another month.

bigstar

Im taking 2-3 Creon (10,000) with every meal since i was little! I mean 9-10 a day. Everyone has their own pattern. Give your body some time and monitor the reactions.

PS Why the hell stomachaches (upper stomach) kick in, in the morning? I will never understand.

T

tgbaker

I was wondering if they go bad too. My pharmacy dumps all 400 capsules into one bottle. I'm at the end of that bottle and I've noticed I'm having more stomach issues. I picked up a new bottle today and they did it again. We'll see if I still have issues with the new bottle and how I do when I get to the end. I've been using Creon for 25 years, with no problems. They have tried to switch me a couple of times, but the other enzymes never work like Creon.

Tammy 52wcf

65rosessamurai

Creon (like with all enzyme meds) is basically a prescribed supplement. Those who understand that their pancrease is not able to excrete enough of their own enzymes is given a calculated (but not accurate) amount to take per meal.
For a long time, I didn't realize that for very greasy items, it helped to take some before, during and after to help digest what is so hard to do ---grease.

Of course there are proteins and other stuff not being absorbed that is done by the Creon, and if anyone has looked up the types of Creon, they would see a difference in icu for each active ingredient.

Taking too much Creon might back you up a bit, not enough will result in multiple trips to the bathroom and severe abdominal discomfort.

However, when Pancreas was still on the market, I took 15 per meal...sometimes adding one sitting of about 20 pills if I was adding the abx in addition to it.

Also, Creon can go bad (or the inert ingredients may degrade) if stored for a time beyond its "freshness date" or stored in an environment beyond its recommended environment, such as a very hot and humid place. But generally, since CF'rs are often using it, its usually gone before its shelf-life expires.

Printer

You must remember that Creon (all enzymes) comes in different strengths. The "key" is the amount of LIPASE per pill, not the number of pills.

Bill

erock77

Creon is sensitive to extreme temps, as all enzymes. Keep the lid on and out of the sun or hot car. I haven't heard of efficacy decreasing over a month. Don't go from 16/meal to 4/meal, 4 definitely won't work as well.
I was taking around 14-16 Creon 20's per meal and switched to Zenpep 2 years ago. I was able to "only" take 12-13 per meal. My body also required more over the years, it has part to do with weighing more and part to do with pancreas function. Sounds like we're both already over the recommended max. Your doc or dietitian can help figure out what a good dose is with some tests. They might have to study your poop, which sucks for everybody. Maybe add some probiotics to your regimen, keep some healthy flora in your gut.

briarrose

We call our pharmacist every time we fill Creon to remind them not to open the original packaging and just give them to us still sealed. That way, we know exactly what the expiration date is for each pill and we get to open a new pack every few days.

Solo

Creon (like with all enzyme meds) is basically a prescribed supplement. Those who understand that their pancrease is not able to excrete enough of their own enzymes is given a calculated (but not accurate) amount to take per meal.
For a long time, I didn't realize that for very greasy items, it helped to take some before, during and after to help digest what is so hard to do ---grease.

I had an EasyMac the other day and took 5 creon before, and 5 after and had absolutely no gas! I thought I had finally cracked the code and figured out why I had gas. But even though I have split my enzymes up, I still have gas. It seems that was an isolated incident; a fluke.

erock77
Creon is sensitive to extreme temps, as all enzymes. Keep the lid on and out of the sun or hot car. I haven't heard of efficacy decreasing over a month. Don't go from 16/meal to 4/meal, 4 definitely won't work as well.
I was taking around 14-16 Creon 20's per meal and switched to Zenpep 2 years ago. I was able to "only" take 12-13 per meal. My body also required more over the years, it has part to do with weighing more and part to do with pancreas function. Sounds like we're both already over the recommended max. Your doc or dietitian can help figure out what a good dose is with some tests. They might have to study your poop, which sucks for everybody. Maybe add some probiotics to your regimen, keep some healthy flora in your gut.​

I spoke to a dietician where I go, and she suggested a different probiotic supplement. I have switched from Culturelle to Florajen and thus far it has made no difference.

Printer

Solo:

Your problem may not be enzyme related, especially the gas. You may have "bacterial overgrowth". Talk to ypur CD Doctor.

Bill

Solo

Solo:

Your problem may not be enzyme related, especially the gas. You may have "bacterial overgrowth". Talk to ypur CD Doctor.

Bill

Bill I started with the uncontrollable gas about a decade or so ago, directly after an abdominal surgery to remove part of my small intestine. The doc at the time told me it was because of "bacteria overgrowth", so they put me on Metronidazole, and up until a few years ago I have been on that constantly to control the gas.

I have been tested for C. Diff and others, which came up negative, and I can take care of the gas issue with super high enzyme doses, so I'm tending to think it's enzyme related. I don't really want to rely on an anti-biotic my entire life if I don't have to.

I've been taking Culturelle pro biotic for a few years, and just recently switched. I would think that would knock out any bugs I might have?

Printer

Solo:

I suffer from bacterial overgrowth. Every 2-3 months, (only 4-6 times a year) for only 8 days, I take an antibiotic. My pancrease is shot and I rely on Creon to digest. I fully understand the gas problem. There was a time that I avoided crowded places. Solo, I've been there and done that, please listen to me.

I really think that you should have a work-up with a CF-Gastro Doctor. Don't continue to guess. Too much Creon, or any enzyme, can do serious damage to your intestens.

Bill

Solo

Solo:

I suffer from bacterial overgrowth. Every 2-3 months, (only 4-6 times a year) for only 8 days, I take an antibiotic. My pancrease is shot and I rely on Creon to digest. I fully understand the gas problem. There was a time that I avoided crowded places. Solo, I've been there and done that, please listen to me.

I really think that you should have a work-up with a CF-Gastro Doctor. Don't continue to guess. Too much Creon, or any enzyme, can do serious damage to your intestens.

Bill

Bill what anti-biotic do you take? Flagyl or metronidazole works great while I'm taking it, but a day or 2 after I stop, the uncontrollable gas returns. I don't have loose stools or very much bloating, just mainly gas, and that's why I would think it's an enzyme problem. The more enzyme I seem to take, the less gas I have.

Printer

Solo:

I take DOXYCYCLINE MOMO 50mg Tab. 2 tab first day then one/day for 6 days.

I gave you the name of a Doctor to see. I know that it is costly to fly to Boston but if you could come here early on a Friday am, you could see him and fly back that afternoon.

If I didn't think that it would be extremely important to you, I wouldn's suggest it. Like I said...been there done that.

Bill