Croup....

crickit715

Ok...so, we got bad news today. My daughter has Croup... what should I expect?? im sitting here tonight watching her breathe...really worried.

crickit715

Ok...so, we got bad news today. My daughter has Croup... what should I expect?? im sitting here tonight watching her breathe...really worried.

crickit715

hmw

What did they give her for this?

When my son (no cf) had a bad bout of croup in the last few years, he was given a course of oral steroids which helped immensely. Emily is prone to the 'barking seal' kind of cough seen in croup when she gets really sick as it is; and earlier this year got sick with parainfluenza, the same virus that also causes croup in young children, and she got really sick. She needed a high dose of Prednisone as well as her inhaled steroid 4x/day (with her albuterol & vest every 4hrs) to keep it under control. She was still coughing so hard she was vomiting.

From our experience I would expect a cough that sounds like a barking seal or sounds 'tight'; she may complain of pain in her chest or some trouble breathing. Give her nebs as often as her dr allows it. It's a virus, but keep an eye on her over the next several days to look out for secondary infection... did she see her ped or was it her cf dr that dx'ed the croup?

hmw

When my son (no cf) had a bad bout of croup in the last few years, he was given a course of oral steroids which helped immensely. Emily is prone to the 'barking seal' kind of cough seen in croup when she gets really sick as it is; and earlier this year got sick with parainfluenza, the same virus that also causes croup in young children, and she got really sick. She needed a high dose of Prednisone as well as her inhaled steroid 4x/day (with her albuterol & vest every 4hrs) to keep it under control. She was still coughing so hard she was vomiting.

From our experience I would expect a cough that sounds like a barking seal or sounds 'tight'; she may complain of pain in her chest or some trouble breathing. Give her nebs as often as her dr allows it. It's a virus, but keep an eye on her over the next several days to look out for secondary infection... did she see her ped or was it her cf dr that dx'ed the croup?

hmw

<br />
<br />When my son (no cf) had a bad bout of croup in the last few years, he was given a course of oral steroids which helped immensely. Emily is prone to the 'barking seal' kind of cough seen in croup when she gets really sick as it is; and earlier this year got sick with parainfluenza, the same virus that also causes croup in young children, and she got really sick. She needed a high dose of Prednisone as well as her inhaled steroid 4x/day (with her albuterol & vest every 4hrs) to keep it under control. She was still coughing so hard she was vomiting.
<br />
<br />From our experience I would expect a cough that sounds like a barking seal or sounds 'tight'; she may complain of pain in her chest or some trouble breathing. Give her nebs as often as her dr allows it. It's a virus, but keep an eye on her over the next several days to look out for secondary infection... did she see her ped or was it her cf dr that dx'ed the croup?

rubyroselee

Oh bummer! That is definitely not a fun thing to have. My son had it at 18 months old. It should only last about 3 days. Hopefully she was given a steroid to keep the inflammation down. Nights are usually worse than the days, so you'll hear a lot of coughing at night. But like I said, it's only for a few days and then it's gone. If it gets bad, put her in a steamy bathroom. If her breathing/coughing gets really bad, she may have to go to the ER - but hopefully that won't be the case. Hopefully she'll feel better soon.

rubyroselee

Oh bummer! That is definitely not a fun thing to have. My son had it at 18 months old. It should only last about 3 days. Hopefully she was given a steroid to keep the inflammation down. Nights are usually worse than the days, so you'll hear a lot of coughing at night. But like I said, it's only for a few days and then it's gone. If it gets bad, put her in a steamy bathroom. If her breathing/coughing gets really bad, she may have to go to the ER - but hopefully that won't be the case. Hopefully she'll feel better soon.

rubyroselee

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Both of my kids have had croup; that barking, seal cough...Even kids without CF can need treatment for croup. Something that has helped both my kids is getting them into a steamy bathroom. Another suggestion is taking them out in the cold air. Extra Chest pt and nebs(we use albuterol) we also do. I use Motrin for discomfort. Watch for wheezing, a temperature, difficulty breathing, child not acting right. I have had to bring my daughter with CF in to the ped for oral steroids when she had croup as a baby; my son without CF got through it on his own. Dont ever hesitate to call your CF doc.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Both of my kids have had croup; that barking, seal cough...Even kids without CF can need treatment for croup. Something that has helped both my kids is getting them into a steamy bathroom. Another suggestion is taking them out in the cold air. Extra Chest pt and nebs(we use albuterol) we also do. I use Motrin for discomfort. Watch for wheezing, a temperature, difficulty breathing, child not acting right. I have had to bring my daughter with CF in to the ped for oral steroids when she had croup as a baby; my son without CF got through it on his own. Dont ever hesitate to call your CF doc.

Rebjane

Super Moderator

S

semperfiohana

when my son who does not have cf had croup, they actually gave him a i believe it was a steriod shot on spot and sent us home with another antibiotic. they told us to watch his breathing in the event it got really bad. they also recommending that we go out and buy a humidifier for his room. i went out and bought on that doesn't do the hot steam. the one i bought was a vick's humidifier which has a spot on the top of it for a tiny insert of vicks like vapor rub that is heated up. we still use this when he starts to get a cough to this day. hopefully she starts to feel better soon.

S

semperfiohana

when my son who does not have cf had croup, they actually gave him a i believe it was a steriod shot on spot and sent us home with another antibiotic. they told us to watch his breathing in the event it got really bad. they also recommending that we go out and buy a humidifier for his room. i went out and bought on that doesn't do the hot steam. the one i bought was a vick's humidifier which has a spot on the top of it for a tiny insert of vicks like vapor rub that is heated up. we still use this when he starts to get a cough to this day. hopefully she starts to feel better soon.

S

semperfiohana

crickit715

thanks everyone...we made it through the first night which they said would be the worst. it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be. they gave her pulmicort and orapred. the "goose" noises seem sporadic, not a continual cough, but when it starts she wretches and gags horribly. she seems alot better this morning!

crickit715

thanks everyone...we made it through the first night which they said would be the worst. it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be. they gave her pulmicort and orapred. the "goose" noises seem sporadic, not a continual cough, but when it starts she wretches and gags horribly. she seems alot better this morning!

crickit715