Culture Result Questions

ashton2005

Hello everyone! I know that i dont post too often but ashton has been coughing a lot lately and ran a slight temp as well.. We had clinic F/U on wednesday last week and they did throat CX. He is so far growing H Flu "which is new to us" and then his Staph that turned into PCN/Methicillin resitant.. my questions are with his staph is it still ok to send him to daycare?? I know with skin infections there are precautions but with MRSA in lungs is it the same.. He is on Keflex which hes not responding to and they are waiting on sensitivities to come back on the H Flu... They are going to give me a definate tomorrow on the treatment options. He hasent been in the hospital in a little over a year so i wouldnt be suprised if they put him in for a tune up!!! I would just like to know others experiences with these bugs.. since they are slightly changed and one new on for us!!

ashton2005

Hello everyone! I know that i dont post too often but ashton has been coughing a lot lately and ran a slight temp as well.. We had clinic F/U on wednesday last week and they did throat CX. He is so far growing H Flu "which is new to us" and then his Staph that turned into PCN/Methicillin resitant.. my questions are with his staph is it still ok to send him to daycare?? I know with skin infections there are precautions but with MRSA in lungs is it the same.. He is on Keflex which hes not responding to and they are waiting on sensitivities to come back on the H Flu... They are going to give me a definate tomorrow on the treatment options. He hasent been in the hospital in a little over a year so i wouldnt be suprised if they put him in for a tune up!!! I would just like to know others experiences with these bugs.. since they are slightly changed and one new on for us!!

ashton2005

ashton2005

ashton2005

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Christi,

If he is coughing and has a slight temp I would keep him home irregardless of the cultures. People at risk for picking up MRSA are those that are immunocompromised, getting chemo, other CF'ers, or those elderly folks with chronic lung conditions. I don't know much about the other bug, though. Once the MRSA is knocked down or dormant(Ashton) not coughing I wouldn't worry too much about transferring MRSA to others; other than the type of people I listed above.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Christi,

If he is coughing and has a slight temp I would keep him home irregardless of the cultures. People at risk for picking up MRSA are those that are immunocompromised, getting chemo, other CF'ers, or those elderly folks with chronic lung conditions. I don't know much about the other bug, though. Once the MRSA is knocked down or dormant(Ashton) not coughing I wouldn't worry too much about transferring MRSA to others; other than the type of people I listed above.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Christi,

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Christi,

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Christi,

ashton2005

he hasent ran the temp since last thursday.. sorry i should have clarified that... just the coughing and the runny nose that the keflex isnt touching

ashton2005

he hasent ran the temp since last thursday.. sorry i should have clarified that... just the coughing and the runny nose that the keflex isnt touching

ashton2005

ashton2005

ashton2005

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS has been on keflex as a Prophylactic abx for a long time, yet he still cultured H.flu. Other than some sinus issues when he cultured it or non-mucoid pseudo, he really didn't have any symptoms. When he was put on zithromax at 2 1/2, his doctor told us it would most likely get rid of it and he hasn't cultured it since.

DS hasn't cultured MRSA. Oh, and the sinus infection went away after a month-long treatment with augmentin.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS has been on keflex as a Prophylactic abx for a long time, yet he still cultured H.flu. Other than some sinus issues when he cultured it or non-mucoid pseudo, he really didn't have any symptoms. When he was put on zithromax at 2 1/2, his doctor told us it would most likely get rid of it and he hasn't cultured it since.

DS hasn't cultured MRSA. Oh, and the sinus infection went away after a month-long treatment with augmentin.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />DS hasn't cultured MRSA. Oh, and the sinus infection went away after a month-long treatment with augmentin.