Culture

Tinymiracle1

Anyone with CF or child with CF had the acinetobactor baumannii grow? My daughter's culture came back positive for it and apparantly it is in the same family as the pseudo...(sp?) Just wandering if this is something she will always have or does it go away and come back frequently. It was the first time she grew something and she was also deathly ill at the time too.

Tinymiracle1

Anyone with CF or child with CF had the acinetobactor baumannii grow? My daughter's culture came back positive for it and apparantly it is in the same family as the pseudo...(sp?) Just wandering if this is something she will always have or does it go away and come back frequently. It was the first time she grew something and she was also deathly ill at the time too.

Tinymiracle1

just1more

While we have not dealt with it I did some literature review and this is what I can tell you:

It is weakly related to Psuedomonas aeruginosa though not close enough to draw many comparisons.

It is common in the environment; but normally only affects those that are already compromised; such as with CF or other illness/injury.

That said, it is normally resistant to most antibiotics; so I would talk with your CF Dr about how they will treat. However, it is not something that they will likely ignore.

just1more

While we have not dealt with it I did some literature review and this is what I can tell you:

It is weakly related to Psuedomonas aeruginosa though not close enough to draw many comparisons.

It is common in the environment; but normally only affects those that are already compromised; such as with CF or other illness/injury.

That said, it is normally resistant to most antibiotics; so I would talk with your CF Dr about how they will treat. However, it is not something that they will likely ignore.

just1more

<br />
<br />It is weakly related to Psuedomonas aeruginosa though not close enough to draw many comparisons.
<br />
<br />It is common in the environment; but normally only affects those that are already compromised; such as with CF or other illness/injury.
<br />
<br />That said, it is normally resistant to most antibiotics; so I would talk with your CF Dr about how they will treat. However, it is not something that they will likely ignore.

Tinymiracle1

Thank you, Tom. Do you know where I can look up that infor you posted? Her CF doc is going to try a specific type of antibiotic to see if we can get it to go away. She said she was concerned with what grew because it was in that pseudo family and they see a lot of that in CF patients. I appreciate you taking the time to look it up and help me with it. With everything going on with her, I haven't had much time to research anything so I thought if I posted it here, someone would help. Thank you!

Tinymiracle1

Thank you, Tom. Do you know where I can look up that infor you posted? Her CF doc is going to try a specific type of antibiotic to see if we can get it to go away. She said she was concerned with what grew because it was in that pseudo family and they see a lot of that in CF patients. I appreciate you taking the time to look it up and help me with it. With everything going on with her, I haven't had much time to research anything so I thought if I posted it here, someone would help. Thank you!

Tinymiracle1

hmw

Here is some info about this bug in the context of a pretty thorough article about the various 'unusual' stuff that can show up on culture: <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/558719_7">Emerging and Unusual Gram-Negative Infections in Cystic Fibrosis: Acinetobacter Baumannii</a>

hmw

Here is some info about this bug in the context of a pretty thorough article about the various 'unusual' stuff that can show up on culture: <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/558719_7">Emerging and Unusual Gram-Negative Infections in Cystic Fibrosis: Acinetobacter Baumannii</a>

hmw