Culturing MRSA

Tysmom

I am new here, but would like some info. My son is 5yrs old and his culture came back with MRSA. He has cultured Staph since he was 1yrs old. I was just wondering if you could let me know more about this bacteria and how it has effected you or your child with CF. Thank you!

P

patpatstoo

My daughter is 18y/o and cultured MRSA when she was 10y/o. She is doing well and goes in for a tune up once a year. The only thing we have to deal with is being isolated while wee are in the hospital.

NoelA

My daughter cultured it when she was 4. She is 8, now and hasn't cultured it in 3 years. She did vanco via IV and once nebulized. She also did linezolid via IV. It took a little while, but so far so good!

zaj1139

My Grandson has had MRSA for the past 3 CF Clinic Visits and they are not doing anything special for it except watching and waiting? He tells me he feels great.

ponytails

my daughter is 5 and has cultured mrsa for 3 years. she has bronchiectasis in one of the lobes of her lungs which may or may not be related. clinic is always quicker to prescribe oral antibiotics when sick because they dont want the mrsa acting up when shes fighting a virus or illness. we have not seen any changes clinically speaking but as i mentioned xrays and ct scans are not the geatest. doctor doesnt believe irradication protocol is successful in most cases. but i have read about it working for some! good luck.

B

Beaz

My 15 yo son has cultured MRSA for about 8 years and his health has declined steadily since then. Our clinic had the "watch and wait" policy at that time and I cannot tell you how much guilt and regret I feel for not pushing much harder to have an eradication attempt made at that time.
This is compounded by having gone through a very similar experience when he first cultured pseudomonas and we were told that there was no eradication protocol. Now, of course, there is.
It seems, from my perspective, that there is very little downside to trying to hit it immediately and hard. If it doesn't work, well at least you tried and he's no worse off.
Best of luck to you!