Cystic Fibrosis and Vaporizing/Ingesting Marijuana

Bardos

One of my good friends has been diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis since he was born. Having problems gaining weight when he was a child his mother asked his physician if he could ingest marijuana as a way to increase his appetite, but the doctor said he could NOT have any marijuana in any way, shape or form. My guess is because he was young and it could of effected his growth and because it is illegal to possess in Texas. I'm asking this question from a completely medical view and asking the reader not to add laws into the equation, there are two alternatives to smoking marijuana that many medical marijuana patients use to get their medicine. One is vaporizing, If vaporized at the correct temperature only the THC in the marijuana will become vapor. This means that there is no potentially harmful substances being inhaled except for THC. The second is oral consumption which again involves no carcinogens or dangerous compounds.

My question is would alternately ingesting marijuana (ie. Vaporizing or Edibles not SMOKING) affect a patients with CF in anyway that it wouldn't affect a human without CF, and if it does what part of the body would it effect and why?

Thank you for taking time to answer.

Bardos

One of my good friends has been diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis since he was born. Having problems gaining weight when he was a child his mother asked his physician if he could ingest marijuana as a way to increase his appetite, but the doctor said he could NOT have any marijuana in any way, shape or form. My guess is because he was young and it could of effected his growth and because it is illegal to possess in Texas. I'm asking this question from a completely medical view and asking the reader not to add laws into the equation, there are two alternatives to smoking marijuana that many medical marijuana patients use to get their medicine. One is vaporizing, If vaporized at the correct temperature only the THC in the marijuana will become vapor. This means that there is no potentially harmful substances being inhaled except for THC. The second is oral consumption which again involves no carcinogens or dangerous compounds.

My question is would alternately ingesting marijuana (ie. Vaporizing or Edibles not SMOKING) affect a patients with CF in anyway that it wouldn't affect a human without CF, and if it does what part of the body would it effect and why?

Thank you for taking time to answer.

Bardos

<br />
<br />My question is would alternately ingesting marijuana (ie. Vaporizing or Edibles not SMOKING) affect a patients with CF in anyway that it wouldn't affect a human without CF, and if it does what part of the body would it effect and why?
<br />
<br />Thank you for taking time to answer.

AprilDaMann

I have a problem with my appitite too. My doctor prescribed me marinol.

This should help explain it a little more for you.
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000403
">http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000403
</a>
I hope that your friend is doing well.

AprilDaMann

This should help explain it a little more for you.
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000403
</a>
I hope that your friend is doing well.

AprilDaMann

<br />
<br />This should help explain it a little more for you.
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000403
</a><br />
<br />I hope that your friend is doing well.

KMV77

If your inhaling the thc vapor, it will be similar to a nebulizer (a breathing treatment where medication is taken into the lungs through a mist). I have done a lot of research on this and from what I have read it also should act as a bronchodialator, people also say that mucous is easier to be brought up but that may be because they have more mucous due to it irritating their lungs. If it is not heated over 220 degrees then the plant material will not burn and the thc vapors will just be released. I'd say oral ingestion of the drug shouldnt affect a person with cf any differently than a person without. Inhaling may cause irritation, and with a cf persons lungs already compromised they could lead to infections. Just my 2 cents.

KMV77

If your inhaling the thc vapor, it will be similar to a nebulizer (a breathing treatment where medication is taken into the lungs through a mist). I have done a lot of research on this and from what I have read it also should act as a bronchodialator, people also say that mucous is easier to be brought up but that may be because they have more mucous due to it irritating their lungs. If it is not heated over 220 degrees then the plant material will not burn and the thc vapors will just be released. I'd say oral ingestion of the drug shouldnt affect a person with cf any differently than a person without. Inhaling may cause irritation, and with a cf persons lungs already compromised they could lead to infections. Just my 2 cents.

KMV77

Havoc

I agree with vaporizing, it's much less harsh. A note about edibles, particularly brownies, the THC is dissolved into the butter, and most of us CFers don't digest fats well. So there goes $60 in pot down the toilet, literally. Marinol is also an option if you are only looking for weight gain.

Havoc

I agree with vaporizing, it's much less harsh. A note about edibles, particularly brownies, the THC is dissolved into the butter, and most of us CFers don't digest fats well. So there goes $60 in pot down the toilet, literally. Marinol is also an option if you are only looking for weight gain.

Havoc

missT

I agree with the poster above. I would never neb or smoke anything that wasnt prescribed. On the other hand...I would def think he can eat the pot in small amounts. Be aware that he may have allergies (prob not). when I eat certain foods it causes my lungs to close up. Also, pot is treated with so many chemicals these days. Me personally, I would not ingest it. There are prescribed drugs you can take for appetite. Best of luck...i know how frustrating it is when you cant gain weight.

missT

I agree with the poster above. I would never neb or smoke anything that wasnt prescribed. On the other hand...I would def think he can eat the pot in small amounts. Be aware that he may have allergies (prob not). when I eat certain foods it causes my lungs to close up. Also, pot is treated with so many chemicals these days. Me personally, I would not ingest it. There are prescribed drugs you can take for appetite. Best of luck...i know how frustrating it is when you cant gain weight.

missT

Havoc

KMV, yeah it's not soluble in water (polar). It is soluble in most non-polar solutes, hexane, ethanol, lipids etc.

Havoc

KMV, yeah it's not soluble in water (polar). It is soluble in most non-polar solutes, hexane, ethanol, lipids etc.