dang DIOS

rubyroselee

Hi everyone,

Back in January, I got my diagnosis of DIOS when I ended up in the ER with severe abdominal pain, where they found a distal intestinal obstruction on CT scan. Ever since then, I have been taking about 3/4 cap of Miralax twice a day. If I go below that amount, I end up with the abdominal pains within 3 days. However, even on the regular Miralax, I have had two episodes of pain after eating just in the past 5 days. I really don't want to increase the dose of Miralax because I already feel dehydrated my stools are quite soft/liquidy. :eek:

I had a clinic appointment last week, and my doctor said to just titrate the dose to my needs. But I'm just not even sure what to do. I suppose I need to keep the pipes clear, and I have to do whatever it takes. It's just sort of frustrating that I still have the pains from time to time regardless of the regular Miralax. Feeling a little frustrated with it lately. :confused:

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
If liquid you might be having over flow...I.e. it is going around built up stool. Try adding full dose of milk of magnesia for five days. See if it changes stools and helps with pain. Ds is now on two week of milk of magnesia and 2.2 caps a day of miralax and is only almost four...adding milk of magnesia got liquid to more solid probably because it was clearing old crap out. Maybe ask for X-ray once just to see what is going on so you know these are signs that you have backup and then in future treat from there. Also maybe check re upping enzymes. Dr are finally agreeing with me to do that.

rubyroselee

Hi,

Thank you very much. I might need to try adding milk of mag for a few days to see if that does anything. I've had an x-ray before when I wasn't experiencing any symptoms, and nothing showed up until I was having active pain. My doctor suggesting upping my enzymes, so that's what I did a few days ago - hoping that might help as well. I might need to up my Miralax dose a bit more too and just drink a lot more water throughout the day :)

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Definitely try the milk of magnesia. That seems to get things moving--the build up happens over time and miralax seems to only delay the inevitable need for the milk of magnesia to get the build-up out. The mistake we kept making was titrating down with liquid stools when that was "overflow" around the build-up. So watch out for that. That's now when I know it's time for M.O.M. It is gross but if a 3 year old can do it! ;-)