Daughter coughing up blood

elliesmom

My daughter coughed up blood for the first time today-she is 18yo and started coughing during cross country practice at college.  we go see her dr. tomorrow afternoon.  this has never happened-has anyone else coughed up blood?  what can we expect at the dr.'s?  She does her vest and all her meds, until now the Dr. said to stop until he sees her-and yes he knows she is a runner-oddly enough, she is having the best season ever!!  Any advice or words would be great.<div><br></div>

elliesmom

My daughter coughed up blood for the first time today-she is 18yo and started coughing during cross country practice at college. we go see her dr. tomorrow afternoon. this has never happened-has anyone else coughed up blood? what can we expect at the dr.'s? She does her vest and all her meds, until now the Dr. said to stop until he sees her-and yes he knows she is a runner-oddly enough, she is having the best season ever!! Any advice or words would be great.<br>

elliesmom

My daughter coughed up blood for the first time today-she is 18yo and started coughing during cross country practice at college. we go see her dr. tomorrow afternoon. this has never happened-has anyone else coughed up blood? what can we expect at the dr.'s? She does her vest and all her meds, until now the Dr. said to stop until he sees her-and yes he knows she is a runner-oddly enough, she is having the best season ever!! Any advice or words would be great.<br>

T

TonyaH

My 13 year old has coughed up blood periodically since he was 9 years old. He has never been treated or hospitalized for hemoptysis. The bleeding always stops and only once was it about 1/2 a cup. Usually it is a tablespoon or so. We always stop nebs and therapy right away to allow the blood vessel to heal. Your doctor will let you know when you can resume treatment.

That's not to say they won't find an underlying cause for your daughter's bleed that they will need to treat. It sounds like she is doing really well right now. Did her last culture show anything new or out of the ordinary? How much blood did she cough up?

I wish I had a better answer for you, but it will really depend on what the doctor feels is the reason for the bleed. I wish you luck at your appointment. Would you mind updating here afterward? I would be interested to know what the doctor says.

T

TonyaH

My 13 year old has coughed up blood periodically since he was 9 years old. He has never been treated or hospitalized for hemoptysis. The bleeding always stops and only once was it about 1/2 a cup. Usually it is a tablespoon or so. We always stop nebs and therapy right away to allow the blood vessel to heal. Your doctor will let you know when you can resume treatment.

That's not to say they won't find an underlying cause for your daughter's bleed that they will need to treat. It sounds like she is doing really well right now. Did her last culture show anything new or out of the ordinary? How much blood did she cough up?

I wish I had a better answer for you, but it will really depend on what the doctor feels is the reason for the bleed. I wish you luck at your appointment. Would you mind updating here afterward? I would be interested to know what the doctor says.

T

TonyaH

<br />
<br />That's not to say they won't find an underlying cause for your daughter's bleed that they will need to treat. It sounds like she is doing really well right now. Did her last culture show anything new or out of the ordinary? How much blood did she cough up?
<br />
<br />I wish I had a better answer for you, but it will really depend on what the doctor feels is the reason for the bleed. I wish you luck at your appointment. Would you mind updating here afterward? I would be interested to know what the doctor says.

elliesmom

Thanks for your response Tonya, I will update tomorrow after the appt. Her last culture was fine as far as I know and our nurse shares everything with us. My daughter said it wasn't a lot of blood, but that she coughed it up a couple of times. She did go the nurse at the school and they are the ones that called the dr, then they called me, my daughter had to go eat dinner first-go figure, anyway when it talked to her she said it was not a lot-so it's hard to say. I just hope she makes it through the night ok, she has a single. Guess i won't sleep much...

elliesmom

Thanks for your response Tonya, I will update tomorrow after the appt. Her last culture was fine as far as I know and our nurse shares everything with us. My daughter said it wasn't a lot of blood, but that she coughed it up a couple of times. She did go the nurse at the school and they are the ones that called the dr, then they called me, my daughter had to go eat dinner first-go figure, anyway when it talked to her she said it was not a lot-so it's hard to say. I just hope she makes it through the night ok, she has a single. Guess i won't sleep much...

elliesmom

elliesmom

elliesmom

elliesmom

JaneCFer

Coughing up blood (hemoptysis) could mean a new infection or a burst capillary, sometimes the strain of coughing causes a cap to burst. It's usually not significant blood loss or anything, but any change should definitely be reported to and checked out by her doc.

God bless you and keep you!

JaneCFer

Coughing up blood (hemoptysis) could mean a new infection or a burst capillary, sometimes the strain of coughing causes a cap to burst. It's usually not significant blood loss or anything, but any change should definitely be reported to and checked out by her doc.

God bless you and keep you!

JaneCFer

<br />
<br />God bless you and keep you!

elliesmom

Well we went to the Dr. yesterday. He took a look and took an x-ray. He said she should be fine. He prescribed a vitamin k supplement for the next ten days and told her to take it easy on the running, but that she could still run in her conference meet saturady. Jane-he said it could very well be a burst capillary and not to worry too much about it. She is to not do CPT for a few days-something she was not exactly sad about. Since we never heard back after the x-ray I think that is fine. the tech took a quick look and didn't think there was anything to worry about. so, hopefully she won't cough anymore up. Jane and Tonya!

elliesmom

Well we went to the Dr. yesterday. He took a look and took an x-ray. He said she should be fine. He prescribed a vitamin k supplement for the next ten days and told her to take it easy on the running, but that she could still run in her conference meet saturady. Jane-he said it could very well be a burst capillary and not to worry too much about it. She is to not do CPT for a few days-something she was not exactly sad about. Since we never heard back after the x-ray I think that is fine. the tech took a quick look and didn't think there was anything to worry about. so, hopefully she won't cough anymore up. Jane and Tonya!

elliesmom

JaneCFer

Well it sounds like good news, no new infections. I will keep praying for you guys. I know its really scary the first time you see that bloody sputum!

JaneCFer

Well it sounds like good news, no new infections. I will keep praying for you guys. I know its really scary the first time you see that bloody sputum!