Dental problems caused by cf?

Vampy

I've had alot or problems with my teeth and i didn't know if it could be related to my cf. I have 20 teeth left and exactly half of them are bad, ive been making apts with the dentists for cleaning and everything else. now i have to take a whole day and go have my whole mouth worked on bc these are not just in front they are between teeth and in the back. really is painful and sharp i hurt my tongue on them a lot. Does anyone else have problems like this?

Vampy

I've had alot or problems with my teeth and i didn't know if it could be related to my cf. I have 20 teeth left and exactly half of them are bad, ive been making apts with the dentists for cleaning and everything else. now i have to take a whole day and go have my whole mouth worked on bc these are not just in front they are between teeth and in the back. really is painful and sharp i hurt my tongue on them a lot. Does anyone else have problems like this?

Vampy

laulau555

I don't have problems quite that severe, but my dentist does always say I have staining on the back of my teeth, probably because thats where I hold my neb and all the stuff I inhale gets on them. I just be sure to brush after I do my nebs or anything inhaled

laulau555

I don't have problems quite that severe, but my dentist does always say I have staining on the back of my teeth, probably because thats where I hold my neb and all the stuff I inhale gets on them. I just be sure to brush after I do my nebs or anything inhaled

laulau555

LouLou

I'm hearing that cfers should swish then brush not brush right after nebs because the meds are in our mouth and we are grinding them in if we brush before swishing. And I've heard that cfers have decreased enamel because of the inhalation therapy and acidity of our mucus. Decreased enamel is evident by a yellow cast to the teeth and sensitivity that can wax and wane.

LouLou

I'm hearing that cfers should swish then brush not brush right after nebs because the meds are in our mouth and we are grinding them in if we brush before swishing. And I've heard that cfers have decreased enamel because of the inhalation therapy and acidity of our mucus. Decreased enamel is evident by a yellow cast to the teeth and sensitivity that can wax and wane.

LouLou

kristenb

dang, lauren, how did ya get so wise!? you always have such information things to say, thank you.

wonderful information, thank you. i'd realized the effect of the inhalents on our teeth but never thought about the acidity of our mucus....interesting.

i also wanted to throw it out there, without scaring anyone, that i had a period in my late teens when i all of a sudden (in about 2 visits to the dentist) had tons of cavities. this went on for a little while and then about 1-2 years later i found out that i had cf-related diabetes. not to say that you have diabetes (you are likely screened or should be-i don't know how old you are...)but i'm just trying to share the teeth problems that i experienced that were inadvertantly related to cf. the dentist speculated that i had likely been running very high blood sugars without knowing it, which lead to the 'sudden' dental cavities. high blood sugars lead to dry mouth and dry mouth causes a decrease in important salivary enzymes that help break down plaque/built-up sugar...which can contribute to cavities. wheew, that was a mouthful...ha, i know, i'm a cornball!

seriously hope something gets resolved for you. mouth problems are can be so painful and it's such a sensitive area. take care.

kristenb

dang, lauren, how did ya get so wise!? you always have such information things to say, thank you.

wonderful information, thank you. i'd realized the effect of the inhalents on our teeth but never thought about the acidity of our mucus....interesting.

i also wanted to throw it out there, without scaring anyone, that i had a period in my late teens when i all of a sudden (in about 2 visits to the dentist) had tons of cavities. this went on for a little while and then about 1-2 years later i found out that i had cf-related diabetes. not to say that you have diabetes (you are likely screened or should be-i don't know how old you are...)but i'm just trying to share the teeth problems that i experienced that were inadvertantly related to cf. the dentist speculated that i had likely been running very high blood sugars without knowing it, which lead to the 'sudden' dental cavities. high blood sugars lead to dry mouth and dry mouth causes a decrease in important salivary enzymes that help break down plaque/built-up sugar...which can contribute to cavities. wheew, that was a mouthful...ha, i know, i'm a cornball!

seriously hope something gets resolved for you. mouth problems are can be so painful and it's such a sensitive area. take care.

kristenb

<br />
<br />wonderful information, thank you. i'd realized the effect of the inhalents on our teeth but never thought about the acidity of our mucus....interesting.
<br />
<br />i also wanted to throw it out there, without scaring anyone, that i had a period in my late teens when i all of a sudden (in about 2 visits to the dentist) had tons of cavities. this went on for a little while and then about 1-2 years later i found out that i had cf-related diabetes. not to say that you have diabetes (you are likely screened or should be-i don't know how old you are...)but i'm just trying to share the teeth problems that i experienced that were inadvertantly related to cf. the dentist speculated that i had likely been running very high blood sugars without knowing it, which lead to the 'sudden' dental cavities. high blood sugars lead to dry mouth and dry mouth causes a decrease in important salivary enzymes that help break down plaque/built-up sugar...which can contribute to cavities. wheew, that was a mouthful...ha, i know, i'm a cornball!
<br />
<br />seriously hope something gets resolved for you. mouth problems are can be so painful and it's such a sensitive area. take care.

M

mah

I have tons of problems w/ my teeth, thought to originate from the malabsorption. I am 30 and my teeth have been falling out for the past ~4 years (they break and then often need to be removed).
Check w/ a major dental school in your area b/c I go to a clinic that specializes in ppl w/ chronic illnesses and issues that arise from larger systemic problems and heavy medication use.
Call your local children's hospital to see if they know of a dental program that does this.

Call the University of Pittsburgh Dental School, AEGD clinic to see if they know of a similar program in your area.

The #1 thing to push to have done is fluroide treatments maybe 2x per year.

GOOD LUCK!

M

mah

I have tons of problems w/ my teeth, thought to originate from the malabsorption. I am 30 and my teeth have been falling out for the past ~4 years (they break and then often need to be removed).
Check w/ a major dental school in your area b/c I go to a clinic that specializes in ppl w/ chronic illnesses and issues that arise from larger systemic problems and heavy medication use.
Call your local children's hospital to see if they know of a dental program that does this.

Call the University of Pittsburgh Dental School, AEGD clinic to see if they know of a similar program in your area.

The #1 thing to push to have done is fluroide treatments maybe 2x per year.

GOOD LUCK!

M

mah

<br />Check w/ a major dental school in your area b/c I go to a clinic that specializes in ppl w/ chronic illnesses and issues that arise from larger systemic problems and heavy medication use.
<br />Call your local children's hospital to see if they know of a dental program that does this.
<br />
<br />Call the University of Pittsburgh Dental School, AEGD clinic to see if they know of a similar program in your area.
<br />
<br />The #1 thing to push to have done is fluroide treatments maybe 2x per year.
<br />
<br />GOOD LUCK!

Printer

Acid Reflux can have an serious effect upon your teeth. If you are having this advise ur CF Doctor and your Dentist.

Printer

Acid Reflux can have an serious effect upon your teeth. If you are having this advise ur CF Doctor and your Dentist.

Printer

Brad

I have always had trouble with teeth. I was told that
the enamel was soft due to many abx over the years along
with Nebs and Infections them selfs.

I have had all fillings replaced at least 3 times.

I still have most of them. I Rinse a lot during the day.

I can't even remember how many Fluoride treatments I have
had to try and keep enamel hard.

Good Luck.

Brad

I have always had trouble with teeth. I was told that
the enamel was soft due to many abx over the years along
with Nebs and Infections them selfs.

I have had all fillings replaced at least 3 times.

I still have most of them. I Rinse a lot during the day.

I can't even remember how many Fluoride treatments I have
had to try and keep enamel hard.

Good Luck.