Depression

fugikitten2087

As most of you know I'm in the hospital yet again. My Dr. is on this kick that I'm depressed and thats why I'm so tired and loosing weight. I'm eating ***** loads and I'm tired because I'm sick. How meny of you get asked this constantlly by your dr.'s? You know " areyou depressed?" and if you do how meny have been willing put on anti-depressants I keep refussing them. I just am cuirous.

JennifersHope

I don't get asked if I am depressed, more so anxious. I throughout my school years was always so anxious about missing work and missing school that I drove my doctors nuts.

They were right, I was anxious, I admitted it. I still tend to be high strung but it is more related to the steroids I take.

Sometimes I have found that doctors get fixated on depression or mental health issues when they can't figure out what is wrong with you. It is easier for them to blame you, i.e depression on you rather then on the fact that they just don't know.
My CF doctor is more out to blame me, my primary is awesome when he doesn't know, he just says so. If only doctors could be more humble and admit when they don't know.

Anyway, hope you feel better.

Jennifer

Emily65Roses

Not at doctor's visits, usually. Often the social worker will stop in and ask how I'm doing. The only time that they ask me over and over if I'm depressed... is when I'm inpatient. I think they tend to assume we are because it SUCKS being in, even if you've been in 100 times before. Lonely, boring, etc. So they want to make sure you're doing all right. *shrug*

catboogie

more so with my last doctor than this one--his wife was a shrink--go figure! anyway, he seemed to think that depression could have a big effect on our motivation for self care, and could also lead to destructive habits if left untreated. he didn't try to force pills on me just wanted me to know that there were ways to handle depression and that i was definitly not alone if i was feeling this way.

laura

spicyone18

I was depressed, and I did take somthing for it. I am no longer depressed but whenever I have clinic my doctor does ask how my spirits are, if I am generally happy. I no longer take anything for depression, but besides just asking he doesn't push for anything.

anonymous

I was also depressed and am taking medicine for it. i was against it at first but i love it now. It just stablizes me so i am not so sad. I am still happy and still have plenty of emotions just not the real lows.

My doctor is the opposite. He seems to judge me that I am on medication and i hate it. so does the social worker

Sue 24w/CF

thelizardqueen

I have some minor issues with depression, but nothing that needs treatment. My main concern in anxiety and I've just recently gone into counseling for it on my own request, not my doctors. I even had to fight with my doc to get a med to relax me for the short term till I can get a physch evaluation to find outif I need something stronger for my anxiety.

ej0820

I too just have issues with anxiety. I checked into counseling and my counselor suggested going on a low dose of a mild anti-depressant. Recently I was just released from counseling because my stress levels are back to what's considered a good balance. She said between the counseling and 25mg of Zoloft each day, I've made a lot of progress. My cf doc doesn't really push anti-depressants or anything, but if you're in for a loooong time, like transplant wait long time, and you start to get frustrated and angry, he'll suggest them temporarily.

kybert

my doc and some other doc is always shoving this issue in my face. why? because i have a fatigue problem which they cant solve. instead of using their brains and trying to figure out why im so tired, they prefer to blame me instead. in my 'clinics' eyes you are depressed if you..

voice concerns about poor treatment
are chronically tired
dont follow through with unreasonable demands
take an active role in your care and make suggestions as to how you should be treated
cave into their bullying
dont do uber exciting things everyday
dont have a job
dont share every detail of your personal life with the staff
forget a treatment here and there
have people come with you to appointments
cry because something really bad happened to you
act like you want to be somewhere far more exciting than clinic

the list goes on!

anonymous

hi,
my docs dont ask if im depressed they TELL me i am simply for the reason being i dont do my meds constantly so they think its me trying to harm myself on purpose by not doin them.

JazzysMom

I think being asked about Depression is a legitimate question. In addition to the mental/emotional rollercoaster we deal with the physical aspect can put us there also. ANYONE dealing with chronic illness is likely to deal with some sort of depression. Whether it be the basic blues to severe clinical depression is what is in question. I dont know if you are depressed per say, but overwhelmed & full of anger & anxiety no question. You have had a lot of crap happen lately & it would be insane (yes...pun intended) if you just glided thru it all untouched! Not everyone needs to be put on meds etc, but even you admitted that your support system leaves a lot to be desired at the moment so maybe just venting to someone would be of help! Either way you are not alone I can guarantee you that!