Developing pancreatic Insufficiency?

mom2lillian

This is not pregnancy but deals alot with breasfeeding so let me knwo what you think. Thanks!

Well I have never been pancreatic insufficient but I am beginnign to wonder. I have been trying to loose weight postpartum. Not anything drastic I wanted to loose 2lbs or less per week so as to loose it in a healhty way and I am not dieting just eating healthy (this was what was happenign until past few weeks). I had also gained wieght doing all IVF drugs and such to get pregnant so I wanted to loose about 30lbs total (I know I'm sorry for bringing up).

I am breastfeeding (estimates say this is about 300-500 calories a day and I go to the gym about 4x per week 30-45 minutes and do a pretty good workout which per my heart rate monitor says in range 300 calories per workout.

Lately my weight loss has really sped up. 2 weeks ago I lost 3 lbs last week I lost 5lbs and so far this week it is already looking like I have lost a few more. In addition I have gotten gut aches a few times I have eaten fattier items and tonight I went out to dinner with friends and had a rich dinner consisting of bread with olive oil and paremsean cheees mixture dip, steak, and blue chees mashed potatoes. Since then I have had 2 BM's and 3 diarhea BM's I dont know if it related btu I think it is.

Is it possible I am not digesting as well as normal (I dont have a gallbladder btw so maybe just from that and the fact I normally dont eat really fatty foods)? I had my vitamin levels checked 2/21 after giving birth and all was still fine. I was on enzymes in past after being dx 'just because' it was typical thing to do and it caused problems so I dont want to be on them unless I actually end up needing them.

What should I consider or try to see if this is just weight loss due to working out and breastfeeding or if it due to some malabsorbtion? In mean time I am trying to up my calories from healht foods a bit as I dont want the weight loss to be drastic and affect my milk supply.

Thanks for the help

mom2lillian

This is not pregnancy but deals alot with breasfeeding so let me knwo what you think. Thanks!

Well I have never been pancreatic insufficient but I am beginnign to wonder. I have been trying to loose weight postpartum. Not anything drastic I wanted to loose 2lbs or less per week so as to loose it in a healhty way and I am not dieting just eating healthy (this was what was happenign until past few weeks). I had also gained wieght doing all IVF drugs and such to get pregnant so I wanted to loose about 30lbs total (I know I'm sorry for bringing up).

I am breastfeeding (estimates say this is about 300-500 calories a day and I go to the gym about 4x per week 30-45 minutes and do a pretty good workout which per my heart rate monitor says in range 300 calories per workout.

Lately my weight loss has really sped up. 2 weeks ago I lost 3 lbs last week I lost 5lbs and so far this week it is already looking like I have lost a few more. In addition I have gotten gut aches a few times I have eaten fattier items and tonight I went out to dinner with friends and had a rich dinner consisting of bread with olive oil and paremsean cheees mixture dip, steak, and blue chees mashed potatoes. Since then I have had 2 BM's and 3 diarhea BM's I dont know if it related btu I think it is.

Is it possible I am not digesting as well as normal (I dont have a gallbladder btw so maybe just from that and the fact I normally dont eat really fatty foods)? I had my vitamin levels checked 2/21 after giving birth and all was still fine. I was on enzymes in past after being dx 'just because' it was typical thing to do and it caused problems so I dont want to be on them unless I actually end up needing them.

What should I consider or try to see if this is just weight loss due to working out and breastfeeding or if it due to some malabsorbtion? In mean time I am trying to up my calories from healht foods a bit as I dont want the weight loss to be drastic and affect my milk supply.

Thanks for the help

mom2lillian

Thanks for the help

wanderlost

It's hard to say - but it certainly isn;t unheard of that you might be becoming pancreatic insufficient. I think there is a test for it (not sure - I have always been insufficient). I can say that I am losing a ton of weight breastfeeding and I do think that producing breastmilk somehow relates with my gut function - I have no idea how, I just know that I have had to increase my enzymes since breastfeeding - and I can't help but think the two are rleated since I have been on the same amoutn of enzymes for years before this.

I only gained 20lbs with this pregnancy - but I was also about 20 lbs heavier than I had been before. I have taken off all of that weight - and I am actually to the point now that I no longer want to lose anymore, so I have been really trying to increase my calories. I am not going to stop breastfeeding, but I am trying to eat a lot more.

So I have no idea if any of that helps you. I would get checked out or start on a small enzyme dose as I would think if you are becoming insufficient you don't want the nutritional status of your milk to go down - kwim??

wanderlost

It's hard to say - but it certainly isn;t unheard of that you might be becoming pancreatic insufficient. I think there is a test for it (not sure - I have always been insufficient). I can say that I am losing a ton of weight breastfeeding and I do think that producing breastmilk somehow relates with my gut function - I have no idea how, I just know that I have had to increase my enzymes since breastfeeding - and I can't help but think the two are rleated since I have been on the same amoutn of enzymes for years before this.

I only gained 20lbs with this pregnancy - but I was also about 20 lbs heavier than I had been before. I have taken off all of that weight - and I am actually to the point now that I no longer want to lose anymore, so I have been really trying to increase my calories. I am not going to stop breastfeeding, but I am trying to eat a lot more.

So I have no idea if any of that helps you. I would get checked out or start on a small enzyme dose as I would think if you are becoming insufficient you don't want the nutritional status of your milk to go down - kwim??

wanderlost

mom2lillian

thanks wanderlost. You can get a fecal fat test I know so if I continue to drop at this rate I may ask for one (though the thought doesnt seem appealing - kwim?) along with a vitamin level recheck. I have been checking to see how often my stools float (I normally have an occasional one here or there).

I have been keeping an eye on my milk and it seems to have the same look and fatty layer to it and well my daughter has went from 25% curve at birth to the 50% curve at 2months ot the 50-75% curve at 4 month check last week so doctor said she is doing great gaining and is proportionally gaining both length and weight.

I have been having horrid gas lately too, so that makes me think something's going on as well. I have never lost weight this easily. Of course on other hand I am wokring out very well and watchign what I eat and she is at age where she is eating more and the content of the breastmilk changes a they age to be more caloric rich (Iam sure you know this being LLL) so maybe I am jsut at that point.

thanks

mom2lillian

thanks wanderlost. You can get a fecal fat test I know so if I continue to drop at this rate I may ask for one (though the thought doesnt seem appealing - kwim?) along with a vitamin level recheck. I have been checking to see how often my stools float (I normally have an occasional one here or there).

I have been keeping an eye on my milk and it seems to have the same look and fatty layer to it and well my daughter has went from 25% curve at birth to the 50% curve at 2months ot the 50-75% curve at 4 month check last week so doctor said she is doing great gaining and is proportionally gaining both length and weight.

I have been having horrid gas lately too, so that makes me think something's going on as well. I have never lost weight this easily. Of course on other hand I am wokring out very well and watchign what I eat and she is at age where she is eating more and the content of the breastmilk changes a they age to be more caloric rich (Iam sure you know this being LLL) so maybe I am jsut at that point.

thanks

mom2lillian

thanks