Dextromethorphan

L

Lety

My daugher has DDF508. She started a cold a few days ago and now she is coughing a lot. I called the doctor (Cf center) and they can't see her until tomorrow. Is it okay if I giver her Dextromethorpan (Mucinex) for the cough. She didn't get any sleep last night and this morning when I called the CF center they told us no doctors avaiblabe today and we should wait until tomorror. I hate to see her coughing all night long. Please any advice.

Dextromethhorpan

L

Lety

My daugher has DDF508. She started a cold a few days ago and now she is coughing a lot. I called the doctor (Cf center) and they can't see her until tomorrow. Is it okay if I giver her Dextromethorpan (Mucinex) for the cough. She didn't get any sleep last night and this morning when I called the CF center they told us no doctors avaiblabe today and we should wait until tomorror. I hate to see her coughing all night long. Please any advice.

Dextromethhorpan

Incomudrox

If she has a cough that is nothing more than a cough (relatively dry) and mostly non-productive it should be fine for overnight to get some rest. As long as you make her cough on purpose in the morning to get some stuff out. My methodology is cough suppressants are only bad in the case of children that won't cough unless they are forced to. As an adult with CF I know that I need to cough, i can feel the mucus in my lungs and make myself cough to get it out so taking Dextromethorphan is a non-issue for me. So to summarize just use common sense and keep her well hydrated as well.

Incomudrox

If she has a cough that is nothing more than a cough (relatively dry) and mostly non-productive it should be fine for overnight to get some rest. As long as you make her cough on purpose in the morning to get some stuff out. My methodology is cough suppressants are only bad in the case of children that won't cough unless they are forced to. As an adult with CF I know that I need to cough, i can feel the mucus in my lungs and make myself cough to get it out so taking Dextromethorphan is a non-issue for me. So to summarize just use common sense and keep her well hydrated as well.

cheygemini

My daughter is 6 w/cf. Her doctor recommended Delsym for a headcold cough. I think it can be used when they are pretty young (age 3 or so).
For me, that is the hardest thing to watch- the coughing all night and her not getting any sleep.
I usually use Kid's Nyquil or Delysm or similiar product. A multi-cold symptom medicinewill help with the post nasal drip and tickle cough. It usually works about 5 hours. She usually will wake up around 3 or 4 am and need an albuterol.
Unfortunately, I have become an expert at reading the symptoms of my daughter's cold. She always gets super congested/junky coughabout 3 to 4 days into the cold. She usually throws up at night from all the mucus for a few days. And she is on bactrim 2x/day and azithromycin 3x/week. I always dread the next cold.
Hope your child is doing better today!Good Luck.

cheygemini

My daughter is 6 w/cf. Her doctor recommended Delsym for a headcold cough. I think it can be used when they are pretty young (age 3 or so).
For me, that is the hardest thing to watch- the coughing all night and her not getting any sleep.
I usually use Kid's Nyquil or Delysm or similiar product. A multi-cold symptom medicinewill help with the post nasal drip and tickle cough. It usually works about 5 hours. She usually will wake up around 3 or 4 am and need an albuterol.
Unfortunately, I have become an expert at reading the symptoms of my daughter's cold. She always gets super congested/junky coughabout 3 to 4 days into the cold. She usually throws up at night from all the mucus for a few days. And she is on bactrim 2x/day and azithromycin 3x/week. I always dread the next cold.
Hope your child is doing better today!Good Luck.

rmotion

Its tough, when you are getting a cold and hacking you have to subside it via cough suppressant, the problem is long term it is not good for CF, it tampers down the cilia action which leads to more infection.
I know usually when I get a cold it goes to my chest and just have to deal with it.
Mucinex is usually guiefisen and is a mucinex thinner.

rmotion

Its tough, when you are getting a cold and hacking you have to subside it via cough suppressant, the problem is long term it is not good for CF, it tampers down the cilia action which leads to more infection.
I know usually when I get a cold it goes to my chest and just have to deal with it.
Mucinex is usually guiefisen and is a mucinex thinner.

L

Lety

Thanks for all the responses. We went to cf center yesterday and she was prescribed antibiotics (clyndamycin.) for 3 weeks. She is not coughing as much at night but still during the day I can hear her very chesty. She started complaining of leg pain now. Long time ago I read a tread about growing pains but I can't remember much of it. Could this be related to the cold? Are growing pain different on CF kids? What can I do to help her with the pain? Thanks so much again. I truly appreciate all your responses.

L

Lety

Thanks for all the responses. We went to cf center yesterday and she was prescribed antibiotics (clyndamycin.) for 3 weeks. She is not coughing as much at night but still during the day I can hear her very chesty. She started complaining of leg pain now. Long time ago I read a tread about growing pains but I can't remember much of it. Could this be related to the cold? Are growing pain different on CF kids? What can I do to help her with the pain? Thanks so much again. I truly appreciate all your responses.