Diabetes...maybe

carmick

I'm wondering if this is a weird CF thing...A couple of weeks ago my doc had me do an oral glucose tolerance test as part of a search to figure out why I wasn't bouncing back after an exacerbation. My 2 hour blood glucose level was 240, well into the diabetes range. However, my A1C was 5.6 aka normal. I've been monitoring my sugars since then. In the morning I'm generally between 90 and 110 and under 120 after meals and the numbers have been coming down as the infection is *finally* clearing. Could the OGTT results have been really skewed by my being sick? I mean 240 is pretty high. Anyone else have relatively normal sugars but a high OGTT result?

carmick

I'm wondering if this is a weird CF thing...A couple of weeks ago my doc had me do an oral glucose tolerance test as part of a search to figure out why I wasn't bouncing back after an exacerbation. My 2 hour blood glucose level was 240, well into the diabetes range. However, my A1C was 5.6 aka normal. I've been monitoring my sugars since then. In the morning I'm generally between 90 and 110 and under 120 after meals and the numbers have been coming down as the infection is *finally* clearing. Could the OGTT results have been really skewed by my being sick? I mean 240 is pretty high. Anyone else have relatively normal sugars but a high OGTT result?

carmick

lindsleyfamily

Hi Caryn: Were you on any steroids at the time of your OGTT. Steroids can increase your blood sugar level. My daughter had a continous monitor placed for 7 days. It took readings every few minutes. Maybe something to try if you are still having problems.

lindsleyfamily

Hi Caryn: Were you on any steroids at the time of your OGTT. Steroids can increase your blood sugar level. My daughter had a continous monitor placed for 7 days. It took readings every few minutes. Maybe something to try if you are still having problems.

lindsleyfamily

carmick

Nope, I haven't taken steroids in a couple of years. Back then I did have higher sugars (high 100s) when I was on high doses of prednisone and a couple of OGTTs suggesting prediabetes, but that hasn't been the case since stopping the steroids. I've had a couple of normal OGTTs since then.

carmick

Nope, I haven't taken steroids in a couple of years. Back then I did have higher sugars (high 100s) when I was on high doses of prednisone and a couple of OGTTs suggesting prediabetes, but that hasn't been the case since stopping the steroids. I've had a couple of normal OGTTs since then.

carmick

Havoc

Caryn,

You mentioned being below 120mg/dl after meals, how long after meals? Also, what kind of diet do you normally have. You might be leaning toward CFRD, but don't notice it if you keep a good balanced diet without a lot of simple carbs. The OGTT, being a megadose of glucose, might have given you a valuable insight.

Havoc

Caryn,

You mentioned being below 120mg/dl after meals, how long after meals? Also, what kind of diet do you normally have. You might be leaning toward CFRD, but don't notice it if you keep a good balanced diet without a lot of simple carbs. The OGTT, being a megadose of glucose, might have given you a valuable insight.

Havoc

Caryn,
<br />
<br />You mentioned being below 120mg/dl after meals, how long after meals? Also, what kind of diet do you normally have. You might be leaning toward CFRD, but don't notice it if you keep a good balanced diet without a lot of simple carbs. The OGTT, being a megadose of glucose, might have given you a valuable insight.

saveferris2009

Please keep in mind that due to our underlying disease, an A1C is NOT normal if it's over 5.3. Our red blood cells don't live the "normal" 3 months, so this makes our A1C artificially low.

So the fact that you're 5.6 is consistent with your OGTT result.

Also, keep in mind, many CFers have irregular sugars when they are ill. When we are fighting infection, our bodies become inflamed. This inflammation makes us more insulin resistant.

So the fact that your sugars are normalizing as the infection gets better is consistent with the experience of many other CFers.

Do you go to an Endo that sees many patients with CFRD? If not, I would recommend that you do - CFRD is quite unique (noting the A1C as one example) and it's important to see someone who has experience and can give u accurate info.

Here's a great read from the CFF <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cff.org/UploadedFiles/LivingWithCF/StayingHealthy/Diet/Diabetes/CFRD-Manual-4th-edition.pdf">http://www.cff.org/UploadedFil...Manual-4th-edition.pdf</a>

saveferris2009

Please keep in mind that due to our underlying disease, an A1C is NOT normal if it's over 5.3. Our red blood cells don't live the "normal" 3 months, so this makes our A1C artificially low.

So the fact that you're 5.6 is consistent with your OGTT result.

Also, keep in mind, many CFers have irregular sugars when they are ill. When we are fighting infection, our bodies become inflamed. This inflammation makes us more insulin resistant.

So the fact that your sugars are normalizing as the infection gets better is consistent with the experience of many other CFers.

Do you go to an Endo that sees many patients with CFRD? If not, I would recommend that you do - CFRD is quite unique (noting the A1C as one example) and it's important to see someone who has experience and can give u accurate info.

Here's a great read from the CFF <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cff.org/UploadedFiles/LivingWithCF/StayingHealthy/Diet/Diabetes/CFRD-Manual-4th-edition.pdf">http://www.cff.org/UploadedFil...Manual-4th-edition.pdf</a>

saveferris2009

<br />
<br />So the fact that you're 5.6 is consistent with your OGTT result.
<br />
<br />Also, keep in mind, many CFers have irregular sugars when they are ill. When we are fighting infection, our bodies become inflamed. This inflammation makes us more insulin resistant.
<br />
<br />So the fact that your sugars are normalizing as the infection gets better is consistent with the experience of many other CFers.
<br />
<br />Do you go to an Endo that sees many patients with CFRD? If not, I would recommend that you do - CFRD is quite unique (noting the A1C as one example) and it's important to see someone who has experience and can give u accurate info.
<br />
<br />Here's a great read from the CFF <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cff.org/UploadedFiles/LivingWithCF/StayingHealthy/Diet/Diabetes/CFRD-Manual-4th-edition.pdf">http://www.cff.org/UploadedFil...Manual-4th-edition.pdf</a>

Havoc

I agree that HbA1c, used alone, is not a good diagnostic for CFRD. Could you cite the study that shows that an HbA1c >5.3 is abnormal?

Havoc

I agree that HbA1c, used alone, is not a good diagnostic for CFRD. Could you cite the study that shows that an HbA1c >5.3 is abnormal?

Havoc

skydiverchic

Yes I have had this happen. Last August I had an ogtt test. My 1 hour was high 224. then dropped down to 127 at the 2 hour mark. I did a continuous glucose monitoring and my blood sugars were higher than should be 101-303 and finger pricks were 112-459. I was heavily drinking regular pop so I switched to diet and that seemed to help for now my blood sugars are running from 100-160. It has only been over 200 twice in the last 3 months.

skydiverchic

Yes I have had this happen. Last August I had an ogtt test. My 1 hour was high 224. then dropped down to 127 at the 2 hour mark. I did a continuous glucose monitoring and my blood sugars were higher than should be 101-303 and finger pricks were 112-459. I was heavily drinking regular pop so I switched to diet and that seemed to help for now my blood sugars are running from 100-160. It has only been over 200 twice in the last 3 months.