diarrhea due to enzymes?

Bella's-mom

Just wondering if giving too much enzyme will cause diarrhea. My daughter isn't the greatest eater and when she does eat its very slowly. I'm not sure if her diarrhea is being caused by too much enzymes.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Could be she's not eating fast enough. We divide enzymes. Give most at start of meal and halfway through or near end give ds the rest. Another issue could be not enough enzymes. Or to really confuse you, she could be constipated and what you're seeing is what's getting past the stool backed up in the colon

sweetninis

i think too much enzymes cause constipation not diarrhea, diarrhea is caused when the enzymes intake is less than required

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Given the eating/weight issue and that you are looking to do a g-tube, maybe ask for an xray first to see if she really is "backed-up." Our son was and that was part of the reason he wasn't eating around that age and it took a long time for the back-up to build up to an emergency room visit and hospitalization. And when DS starts to get backed-up again, he'll have pure liquid stools and then "squirts" of sticky stuff.