Did Anyone Work Full Time While Pregnant?

Kristen

I want to start by saying I feel really lucky that I've been able to keep working 40 hours a week up until now (almost 25 weeks), but, now that the baby is keeping me up a night, (kicking), I am starting to struggle. I try to get in bed around 9:30, and my alarm goes off at 7:00, but it's a struggle to squeeze in work, my commute, doing all of my CF stuff, (treatments, exercise, etc), and well, that's about all I have time for. By the time I get home at night (after work and the gym), it's almost 7:30, which gives me two hours to shower, dry my hair, heat up dinner, shovel some food into my face, and prepare everything for the next day. There is pretty much no time for me to actually relax and spend time with my husband. And, the other issue is that I don't get to eat dinner until after 8:00 - so I'm going to bed with a full stomach, which does not help my GERD.

To top things off, my job has been very stressful for the past six months or so - to the point where the back of my neck always hurts from tension. Being pregnant just makes this worse. I am very overloaded with work - management has me scheduled for like 50+ hours of work a week, so I am trying to squeeze it into 40 hours, which means I don't get it all done and people are constantly calling me, emailing me, and stopping by my office to ask for me for things (which means I get even less stuff done because I am interrupted so often). It's to the point where I give my phone the finger when it rings.

Last week was especially bad - between being stressed, soooooo tired from not getting enough sleep, and hormonally deranged, I ended up in the work bathroom sobbing. And then I got a little sick over the weekend - my lymph nodes hurt and I started coughing up more gunk than I normally do.

SO, my husband wants me to cut back on hours (to 32 hours a week) and tell my boss he needs to take some work away from me because I can't work full-time right now. It sucks because my boss is NOT understanding about all this stuff, which is unlike ALL of the other management where I work. I did call in sick yesterday because I wasn't feeling well, but I HAD to do some work from home. Which meant I had to go in briefly to pick up some drawings to review from home (and "briefly" turned into 1-1/2 hours because people had a gazillion questions for me while I was there). My boss's boss asked me why I was even there when I was sick, said I didn't look well, and that I needed to take care of myself. My boss just wanted to know if I could go to the staff meeting they were about to have.

I'm already signed up for intermittent FMLA for my CF, and my high risk OB has already told me that she thought I should absolutely take some FMLA each week to get some rest. But, I'm feeling really guilty about it - like I am calling in sick so I can watch a movie with my husband. And, I am definitely a type A personality and an overachiever, so I hate, hate, hate the idea of "giving up" on trying to get it all done.

So, I'm wondering if I am abnormal - was anyone actually able to pull this off and stay healthy? If so, do you have any advice?

(FWIW, I am NOT going to continue working after the baby arrives because I know I won't be able to handle it. I would love to just quit now, but we could really use the money and it would completely screw over the people I work with if quit right now.)

Kristen

I want to start by saying I feel really lucky that I've been able to keep working 40 hours a week up until now (almost 25 weeks), but, now that the baby is keeping me up a night, (kicking), I am starting to struggle. I try to get in bed around 9:30, and my alarm goes off at 7:00, but it's a struggle to squeeze in work, my commute, doing all of my CF stuff, (treatments, exercise, etc), and well, that's about all I have time for. By the time I get home at night (after work and the gym), it's almost 7:30, which gives me two hours to shower, dry my hair, heat up dinner, shovel some food into my face, and prepare everything for the next day. There is pretty much no time for me to actually relax and spend time with my husband. And, the other issue is that I don't get to eat dinner until after 8:00 - so I'm going to bed with a full stomach, which does not help my GERD.

To top things off, my job has been very stressful for the past six months or so - to the point where the back of my neck always hurts from tension. Being pregnant just makes this worse. I am very overloaded with work - management has me scheduled for like 50+ hours of work a week, so I am trying to squeeze it into 40 hours, which means I don't get it all done and people are constantly calling me, emailing me, and stopping by my office to ask for me for things (which means I get even less stuff done because I am interrupted so often). It's to the point where I give my phone the finger when it rings.

Last week was especially bad - between being stressed, soooooo tired from not getting enough sleep, and hormonally deranged, I ended up in the work bathroom sobbing. And then I got a little sick over the weekend - my lymph nodes hurt and I started coughing up more gunk than I normally do.

SO, my husband wants me to cut back on hours (to 32 hours a week) and tell my boss he needs to take some work away from me because I can't work full-time right now. It sucks because my boss is NOT understanding about all this stuff, which is unlike ALL of the other management where I work. I did call in sick yesterday because I wasn't feeling well, but I HAD to do some work from home. Which meant I had to go in briefly to pick up some drawings to review from home (and "briefly" turned into 1-1/2 hours because people had a gazillion questions for me while I was there). My boss's boss asked me why I was even there when I was sick, said I didn't look well, and that I needed to take care of myself. My boss just wanted to know if I could go to the staff meeting they were about to have.

I'm already signed up for intermittent FMLA for my CF, and my high risk OB has already told me that she thought I should absolutely take some FMLA each week to get some rest. But, I'm feeling really guilty about it - like I am calling in sick so I can watch a movie with my husband. And, I am definitely a type A personality and an overachiever, so I hate, hate, hate the idea of "giving up" on trying to get it all done.

So, I'm wondering if I am abnormal - was anyone actually able to pull this off and stay healthy? If so, do you have any advice?

(FWIW, I am NOT going to continue working after the baby arrives because I know I won't be able to handle it. I would love to just quit now, but we could really use the money and it would completely screw over the people I work with if quit right now.)

Kristen

Kristen

Kristen

<br />
<br />To top things off, my job has been very stressful for the past six months or so - to the point where the back of my neck always hurts from tension. Being pregnant just makes this worse. I am very overloaded with work - management has me scheduled for like 50+ hours of work a week, so I am trying to squeeze it into 40 hours, which means I don't get it all done and people are constantly calling me, emailing me, and stopping by my office to ask for me for things (which means I get even less stuff done because I am interrupted so often). It's to the point where I give my phone the finger when it rings.
<br />
<br />Last week was especially bad - between being stressed, soooooo tired from not getting enough sleep, and hormonally deranged, I ended up in the work bathroom sobbing. And then I got a little sick over the weekend - my lymph nodes hurt and I started coughing up more gunk than I normally do.
<br />
<br />SO, my husband wants me to cut back on hours (to 32 hours a week) and tell my boss he needs to take some work away from me because I can't work full-time right now. It sucks because my boss is NOT understanding about all this stuff, which is unlike ALL of the other management where I work. I did call in sick yesterday because I wasn't feeling well, but I HAD to do some work from home. Which meant I had to go in briefly to pick up some drawings to review from home (and "briefly" turned into 1-1/2 hours because people had a gazillion questions for me while I was there). My boss's boss asked me why I was even there when I was sick, said I didn't look well, and that I needed to take care of myself. My boss just wanted to know if I could go to the staff meeting they were about to have.
<br />
<br />I'm already signed up for intermittent FMLA for my CF, and my high risk OB has already told me that she thought I should absolutely take some FMLA each week to get some rest. But, I'm feeling really guilty about it - like I am calling in sick so I can watch a movie with my husband. And, I am definitely a type A personality and an overachiever, so I hate, hate, hate the idea of "giving up" on trying to get it all done.
<br />
<br />So, I'm wondering if I am abnormal - was anyone actually able to pull this off and stay healthy? If so, do you have any advice?
<br />
<br />(FWIW, I am NOT going to continue working after the baby arrives because I know I won't be able to handle it. I would love to just quit now, but we could really use the money and it would completely screw over the people I work with if quit right now.)

Melissa75

Administrator
I had no health issues apart from ajuicy cough with my first pregnancy, but at about the stage you are in, I would come in at 9:45 am instead of 8:15 am. I needed the extra 1.5 hrs of sleep and I got to bypass some of the nutso train and subway commuters. Sometimes I would add work on the weekend, because I too felt guilty/needed/responsible. By 37-38 weeks, I was working from home unless I was needed for a meeting. I had the baby btw x-mas and new yrs at 39 wks 2 days.

I hope you can slow down--I know you feel responsible toward your job, but #1 is you and the baby. Your job will survive with less of you and who cares if they get testy--especially if you are not continuing after the baby is born. Plus, if you get really sick, they will be seeing 0 hrs from you each week rather than 32, let alone 40.

Melissa75

Administrator
I had no health issues apart from ajuicy cough with my first pregnancy, but at about the stage you are in, I would come in at 9:45 am instead of 8:15 am. I needed the extra 1.5 hrs of sleep and I got to bypass some of the nutso train and subway commuters. Sometimes I would add work on the weekend, because I too felt guilty/needed/responsible. By 37-38 weeks, I was working from home unless I was needed for a meeting. I had the baby btw x-mas and new yrs at 39 wks 2 days.

I hope you can slow down--I know you feel responsible toward your job, but #1 is you and the baby. Your job will survive with less of you and who cares if they get testy--especially if you are not continuing after the baby is born. Plus, if you get really sick, they will be seeing 0 hrs from you each week rather than 32, let alone 40.

Melissa75

Administrator

Melissa75

Administrator

Melissa75

Administrator
<br />
<br />I hope you can slow down--I know you feel responsible toward your job, but #1 is you and the baby. Your job will survive with less of you and who cares if they get testy--especially if you are not continuing after the baby is born. Plus, if you get really sick, they will be seeing 0 hrs from you each week rather than 32, let alone 40.

K

Keepercjr

Kristin

Melissa is right. You are # 1 priority. You are a mom NOW and the best way to take care of your baby (unborn or born) is to take care of of his/her mother. Stress is a really bad thing during pregnancy. When I was in grad school I took a class that was all about stress. Though it was geared towards animals, we did read some journal articles on humans and stress and the paper that I wrote was specifically about stress and pregnancy. I can send it to you if you want though you probably don't want to read it. It is kinda scary. When doing my research for the paper I was shocked at how badly stress can affect a fetus (animal or human) for the short term and even for the rest of their lives if it is bad enough (for that think natural disaster type stress on a mom). For the person being stressed, the worst effect for us is weakening our immune system though it does a whole host of other things. You are kind of at a critical window where the stress hormones flowing through your body are going to have the most effect on baby. When they're almost done cooking, the hormones have the least effect.

You need to slow down. It isn't because you failed, it is because you are human. And you are human with a chronic illness and pregnant! Like melissa said, if you end up really ill then they will get no work out of you anyway.

K

Keepercjr

Kristin

Melissa is right. You are # 1 priority. You are a mom NOW and the best way to take care of your baby (unborn or born) is to take care of of his/her mother. Stress is a really bad thing during pregnancy. When I was in grad school I took a class that was all about stress. Though it was geared towards animals, we did read some journal articles on humans and stress and the paper that I wrote was specifically about stress and pregnancy. I can send it to you if you want though you probably don't want to read it. It is kinda scary. When doing my research for the paper I was shocked at how badly stress can affect a fetus (animal or human) for the short term and even for the rest of their lives if it is bad enough (for that think natural disaster type stress on a mom). For the person being stressed, the worst effect for us is weakening our immune system though it does a whole host of other things. You are kind of at a critical window where the stress hormones flowing through your body are going to have the most effect on baby. When they're almost done cooking, the hormones have the least effect.

You need to slow down. It isn't because you failed, it is because you are human. And you are human with a chronic illness and pregnant! Like melissa said, if you end up really ill then they will get no work out of you anyway.

K

Keepercjr

Kristin

K

Keepercjr

Kristin

K

Keepercjr

Kristin
<br />
<br />Melissa is right. You are # 1 priority. You are a mom NOW and the best way to take care of your baby (unborn or born) is to take care of of his/her mother. Stress is a really bad thing during pregnancy. When I was in grad school I took a class that was all about stress. Though it was geared towards animals, we did read some journal articles on humans and stress and the paper that I wrote was specifically about stress and pregnancy. I can send it to you if you want though you probably don't want to read it. It is kinda scary. When doing my research for the paper I was shocked at how badly stress can affect a fetus (animal or human) for the short term and even for the rest of their lives if it is bad enough (for that think natural disaster type stress on a mom). For the person being stressed, the worst effect for us is weakening our immune system though it does a whole host of other things. You are kind of at a critical window where the stress hormones flowing through your body are going to have the most effect on baby. When they're almost done cooking, the hormones have the least effect.
<br />
<br />You need to slow down. It isn't because you failed, it is because you are human. And you are human with a chronic illness and pregnant! Like melissa said, if you end up really ill then they will get no work out of you anyway.

julie

I don't think your going to like my answer but I'm going to share it anyways.

Right now making sure that your baby gets to full term is the MOST important "job" you have.

I can GUARANTEE you, that you would never forgive yourself if all your stress from work caused you to go into preterm labor and you delivered a very very preterm baby. The what if's and why didn't I's??? would eat you alive. Mine were born at 32 weeks and I still struggle with why I didn't keep them in longer.

Right now you need to be selfish, for this baby. Quit worrying about what the people at work will think, or how it will impact or affect them. While it shows that you have great character because you DO care, you need to put those concerns aside now and take care of yourself and your unborn child!

I HIGHLY recommend that in light of the lack of sleep, the recent cold, and all the responsibilities you have a work, that you reduce your hours to something more like 20-28 hours. 32 still sounds like too many for the kind of stress you explained your body is feeling.

julie

Right now making sure that your baby gets to full term is the MOST important "job" you have.

I can GUARANTEE you, that you would never forgive yourself if all your stress from work caused you to go into preterm labor and you delivered a very very preterm baby. The what if's and why didn't I's??? would eat you alive. Mine were born at 32 weeks and I still struggle with why I didn't keep them in longer.

Right now you need to be selfish, for this baby. Quit worrying about what the people at work will think, or how it will impact or affect them. While it shows that you have great character because you DO care, you need to put those concerns aside now and take care of yourself and your unborn child!

I HIGHLY recommend that in light of the lack of sleep, the recent cold, and all the responsibilities you have a work, that you reduce your hours to something more like 20-28 hours. 32 still sounds like too many for the kind of stress you explained your body is feeling.

julie

julie

julie

<br />
<br />Right now making sure that your baby gets to full term is the MOST important "job" you have.
<br />
<br />I can GUARANTEE you, that you would never forgive yourself if all your stress from work caused you to go into preterm labor and you delivered a very very preterm baby. The what if's and why didn't I's??? would eat you alive. Mine were born at 32 weeks and I still struggle with why I didn't keep them in longer.
<br />
<br />Right now you need to be selfish, for this baby. Quit worrying about what the people at work will think, or how it will impact or affect them. While it shows that you have great character because you DO care, you need to put those concerns aside now and take care of yourself and your unborn child!
<br />
<br />I HIGHLY recommend that in light of the lack of sleep, the recent cold, and all the responsibilities you have a work, that you reduce your hours to something more like 20-28 hours. 32 still sounds like too many for the kind of stress you explained your body is feeling.