Disability benefits - How much do you receive?

L

lifeisgood729

The social security administration has a list of requirements that will enable a CF patient to be declared disabled. It's not only based on lung functions. When I applied, my FEV1 was still high, but I was able to qualify because I had four courses of IV antibiotics in one year, as well as several bouts of hemoptysis. I made sure to mention how I met the SSA criteria in my application, and wrote in detail about my treatments. I also pointed out a pattern in my health: every time I went back to work as a teacher, I ended up sick and on IV once the fall cold/flu season hit the school. I would think a police officer could claim the same issue with exposure to so many people and germs. My doctor also wrote a very strong letter for me. I got approved on the first try with no problems.

I'm so glad I stopped working when I did. I was still in relatively good health, and I think I prolonged my decline a little by slowing down.

It's been many years since I applied, but I think I found the list of requirements on ssa.gov.

Martha
44 w/CF, mom to 3 with no CF

L

lifeisgood729

The social security administration has a list of requirements that will enable a CF patient to be declared disabled. It's not only based on lung functions. When I applied, my FEV1 was still high, but I was able to qualify because I had four courses of IV antibiotics in one year, as well as several bouts of hemoptysis. I made sure to mention how I met the SSA criteria in my application, and wrote in detail about my treatments. I also pointed out a pattern in my health: every time I went back to work as a teacher, I ended up sick and on IV once the fall cold/flu season hit the school. I would think a police officer could claim the same issue with exposure to so many people and germs. My doctor also wrote a very strong letter for me. I got approved on the first try with no problems.

I'm so glad I stopped working when I did. I was still in relatively good health, and I think I prolonged my decline a little by slowing down.

It's been many years since I applied, but I think I found the list of requirements on ssa.gov.

Martha
44 w/CF, mom to 3 with no CF

semnle34

Thank you for your responses. I contacted Beth and have them working on my application now. The process is so daunting and long. I'm hoping that with my Mycobacterium diagnosis along with the CF I will get me an approval on the first try. I've had a difficult time combating the infection. I will keep you guys posted on my process. Thanks again.

semnle34

Thank you for your responses. I contacted Beth and have them working on my application now. The process is so daunting and long. I'm hoping that with my Mycobacterium diagnosis along with the CF I will get me an approval on the first try. I've had a difficult time combating the infection. I will keep you guys posted on my process. Thanks again.