Disability benefits??

Jeana

<P>So, my baseline FEV1 has been 75% for years and lately high 60s.  From late Aug to mid Oct (about 6 weeks), I dropped to 37%.  I was hospitalized for 1 1/2 weeks and let go when my FEV1 was at 51.  A week later it had risen only to 54.  After another week of antibiotics through my PICC, it was still at 54.  My doctor said that antibiotics are not making a difference any longer and removed my PICC.  So is this my new baseline???  My doc said that my FEV1 could improve with exercise but unsure how much.  My biggest problem is with working and two kids, I simply don't have time to exercise, do all my treatments, keep my diabetes under control, etc.  I'm lucky to get 6 hours of sleep a night.  And now I feel even more exhausted with losing 20% of my lung function.  Because of this, I decided to look into disability benefits.</P>
<P>As for my FEV1, I would qualify.  I guess assuming that they don't decide that my since my baseline was 75 that this will not go back up and deny me.  I am also not sure my doc will say that I can't work, since I'm currently working, but I'm not taking care of my health because of work.</P>
<P> </P>
<P>Some questions:  Do I have to quit working before I can apply?  How will I live then?  Can I take partial retirement and still get disability?  Will that reduce my disability?  Will I somehow be insured if I quit working?  Should I divorce my husband in name only to get benefits?  Any experiences or information would be extremely helpful!  Thanks in advance.  </P>

Jeana

<P>So, my baseline FEV1 has been 75% for years and lately high 60s. From late Aug to mid Oct (about 6 weeks), I dropped to 37%. I was hospitalized for1 1/2weeks and let go when my FEV1 was at 51. A week later it had risen only to 54. After another week of antibiotics through my PICC, it was still at 54. My doctor said that antibiotics are not making a difference any longer and removed my PICC. So is this my new baseline??? My doc said that my FEV1 could improve with exercise but unsure how much. My biggest problemis with working and two kids, I simply don't have time to exercise, do all my treatments, keep my diabetes under control, etc. I'm lucky to get 6 hours of sleep a night. And now I feel even more exhausted with losing 20% of my lung function. Because of this, I decided to look into disability benefits.</P>
<P>As for my FEV1, I would qualify. I guess assumingthat they don't decide that my since my baseline was 75 that this will not go back up anddeny me. I am also not sure my doc will say that I can't work, since I'm currently working, but I'm not taking care of my health because of work.</P>
<P></P>
<P>Some questions: Do I have to quit working before I can apply? How will I live then? Can I take partial retirement and still get disability? Will that reduce my disability? Will I somehowbe insured if Iquit working? Should I divorce my husband in name only to get benefits? Any experiencesor information would beextremely helpful! Thanks in advance. </P>

Jeana

<P>So, my baseline FEV1 has been 75% for years and lately high 60s. From late Aug to mid Oct (about 6 weeks), I dropped to 37%. I was hospitalized for1 1/2weeks and let go when my FEV1 was at 51. A week later it had risen only to 54. After another week of antibiotics through my PICC, it was still at 54. My doctor said that antibiotics are not making a difference any longer and removed my PICC. So is this my new baseline??? My doc said that my FEV1 could improve with exercise but unsure how much. My biggest problemis with working and two kids, I simply don't have time to exercise, do all my treatments, keep my diabetes under control, etc. I'm lucky to get 6 hours of sleep a night. And now I feel even more exhausted with losing 20% of my lung function. Because of this, I decided to look into disability benefits.</P>
<P>As for my FEV1, I would qualify. I guess assumingthat they don't decide that my since my baseline was 75 that this will not go back up anddeny me. I am also not sure my doc will say that I can't work, since I'm currently working, but I'm not taking care of my health because of work.</P>
<P></P>
<P>Some questions: Do I have to quit working before I can apply? How will I live then? Can I take partial retirement and still get disability? Will that reduce my disability? Will I somehowbe insured if Iquit working? Should I divorce my husband in name only to get benefits? Any experiencesor information would beextremely helpful! Thanks in advance. <BR></P>

julie

1. You can NOT be working over the "substantial gainful limit" and initially qualify for disability benefits. (http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/317/kw/working%20on%20disability)

2. Tough question..our govt. sure doesn't make this easy. Are you able to survive off 1 income for a while while they process your application?

3. Is it a "public" fund partial retirement, or private? If it is private, it has NO bearing on your disability application and payments as long as you are applying for SSDI (disability benefits based on your work history/credits). If you are applying for SSI (disability based on household income because you don't have enough work credits), then this is an entirely different and complicated question.

4. If you are applying for SSDI, NO, your husbands income will have NO bearing on your benefits. If you are applying for SSI, your husbands income WILL affect your SSI benefits.

What state do you live in?

julie

1. You can NOT be working over the "substantial gainful limit" and initially qualify for disability benefits. (http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/317/kw/working%20on%20disability)

2. Tough question..our govt. sure doesn't make this easy. Are you able to survive off 1 income for a while while they process your application?

3. Is it a "public" fund partial retirement, or private? If it is private, it has NO bearing on your disability application and payments as long as you are applying for SSDI (disability benefits based on your work history/credits). If you are applying for SSI (disability based on household income because you don't have enough work credits), then this is an entirely different and complicated question.

4. If you are applying for SSDI, NO, your husbands income will have NO bearing on your benefits. If you are applying for SSI, your husbands income WILL affect your SSI benefits.

julie

<br />
<br />2. Tough question..our govt. sure doesn't make this easy. Are you able to survive off 1 income for a while while they process your application?
<br />
<br />3. Is it a "public" fund partial retirement, or private? If it is private, it has NO bearing on your disability application and payments as long as you are applying for SSDI (disability benefits based on your work history/credits). If you are applying for SSI (disability based on household income because you don't have enough work credits), then this is an entirely different and complicated question.
<br />
<br />4. If you are applying for SSDI, NO, your husbands income will have NO bearing on your benefits. If you are applying for SSI, your husbands income WILL affect your SSI benefits.
<br />
<br />What state do you live in?

julie

julie

julie

<br />
<br />2. Tough question..our govt. sure doesn't make this easy. Are you able to survive off 1 income for a while while they process your application?
<br />
<br />3. Is it a "public" fund partial retirement, or private? If it is private, it has NO bearing on your disability application and payments as long as you are applying for SSDI (disability benefits based on your work history/credits). If you are applying for SSI (disability based on household income because you don't have enough work credits), then this is an entirely different and complicated question.
<br />
<br />4. If you are applying for SSDI, NO, your husbands income will have NO bearing on your benefits. If you are applying for SSI, your husbands income WILL affect your SSI benefits.
<br />
<br />What state do you live in?

Jeana

<P>So, here's the scoop.  I live and teach in Alaska.  For whatever reason, we do not pay social security but instead are under the TRS system--Alaska Teacher Retirement System.  Both my employer and myself contribute to my retirement.  Is this considered private retirement?  Unfortunately, that makes the amount I've contributed or work credits very small.  I'm just not sure if we can cover our expenses longterm without my contribution.  My husband has a seasonal job--driving truck--and we depend on my income to get us through the winter.</P>
<P> </P>
<P>Do you know how long I would have to have this lung function before I might qualify for disability?  Or how long I would have to be not working?  I am so exhausted and out of breath at work that it's killing me, but I have two kids to provide for.  It looks to me that I might qualify for neither program--the one, I might not have work credits and the second they might think my husband makes enough.</P>

Jeana

<P>So, here's the scoop. I live and teach in Alaska. For whatever reason, we do not pay social security but instead are under the TRS system--Alaska Teacher Retirement System. Both my employer and myself contribute to my retirement. Is this considered private retirement? Unfortunately, that makes the amount I've contributed or work credits very small. I'm just not sure if we can cover our expenses longterm without my contribution. My husband has a seasonal job--driving truck--and we depend on my income to get us through the winter.</P>
<P></P>
<P>Do you know how long I would have to have this lung function before I might qualify for disability? Or how long I would have to be not working? I am so exhausted and out of breath at work that it's killing me, but I have two kids to provide for. It looks to me that I might qualify for neither program--the one, I might not have work credits and the second they might think my husband makes enough.</P>

Jeana

<P><BR>So, here's the scoop. I live and teach in Alaska. For whatever reason, we do not pay social security but instead are under the TRS system--Alaska Teacher Retirement System. Both my employer and myself contribute to my retirement. Is this considered private retirement? Unfortunately, that makes the amount I've contributed or work credits very small. I'm just not sure if we can cover our expenses longterm without my contribution. My husband has a seasonal job--driving truck--and we depend on my income to get us through the winter.</P>
<P></P>
<P>Do you know how long I would have to have this lung function before I might qualify for disability? Or how long I would have to be not working? I am so exhausted and out of breath at work that it's killing me, but I have two kids to provide for. It looks to me that I might qualify for neither program--the one, I might not have work credits and the second they might think my husband makes enough.</P>

Simba15

ATRS is a state system. So I do not think it is private. Call them and ask them. States does not usually equal private

Simba15

ATRS is a state system. So I do not think it is private. Call them and ask them. States does not usually equal private

Simba15

<BR>ATRS is a state system. So I do not think it is private. Call them and ask them. States does not usually equal private

PinkPigg

My advice is to talk to Julie who has been helping with disability issues for us for quite a while. THANKS JULIE!!! Beth Sufian is also a great contact. Beth is an attorney with CF and serves as the free legal hotline for the CF Foundation: http://www.cff.org/LivingWithCF/AssistanceResources/CFLegalHotline/

Peace,
Steph

PinkPigg

My advice is to talk to Julie who has been helping with disability issues for us for quite a while. THANKS JULIE!!! Beth Sufian is also a great contact. Beth is an attorney with CF and serves as the free legal hotline for the CF Foundation: http://www.cff.org/LivingWithCF/AssistanceResources/CFLegalHotline/

Peace,
Steph