Disability Questions.

thefrogprincess

I thought I wouldn't be able to get SSDI if I am married because of his income and the fact that I get medical benefits through him....I gather this is not the case?

thefrogprincess

I thought I wouldn't be able to get SSDI if I am married because of his income and the fact that I get medical benefits through him....I gather this is not the case?

thefrogprincess

thefrogprincess

thefrogprincess

<br />

Landy

From what I understand, SSDI is based off the fact that you've worked & paid in SS taxes and Medicare through the years and has nothing to do with household income.

As for medical benefits you're receiving presently, that doesn't matter. A lot of times, Medicare would be your secondary insurance coverage & employee sponsored ins that you have in place would be your primary insurance.

Landy

From what I understand, SSDI is based off the fact that you've worked & paid in SS taxes and Medicare through the years and has nothing to do with household income.

As for medical benefits you're receiving presently, that doesn't matter. A lot of times, Medicare would be your secondary insurance coverage & employee sponsored ins that you have in place would be your primary insurance.

Landy

Landy

Landy

<br />
<br />As for medical benefits you're receiving presently, that doesn't matter. A lot of times, Medicare would be your secondary insurance coverage & employee sponsored ins that you have in place would be your primary insurance.
<br />

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>thefrogprincess</b></i>

I thought I wouldn't be able to get SSDI if I am married because of his income and the fact that I get medical benefits through him....I gather this is not the case?</end quote></div>

I have SSDI & have primary insurance through my husband which makes my Medicare secondary. SSI is based on income as stated & SSDI is based on work history along with the Medicare you are eligible for after 2 years of being disabled.

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>thefrogprincess</b></i>

I thought I wouldn't be able to get SSDI if I am married because of his income and the fact that I get medical benefits through him....I gather this is not the case?</end quote></div>

I have SSDI & have primary insurance through my husband which makes my Medicare secondary. SSI is based on income as stated & SSDI is based on work history along with the Medicare you are eligible for after 2 years of being disabled.

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

I thought I wouldn't be able to get SSDI if I am married because of his income and the fact that I get medical benefits through him....I gather this is not the case?</end quote>

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />I thought I wouldn't be able to get SSDI if I am married because of his income and the fact that I get medical benefits through him....I gather this is not the case?</end quote>
<br />
<br />
<br />I have SSDI & have primary insurance through my husband which makes my Medicare secondary. SSI is based on income as stated & SSDI is based on work history along with the Medicare you are eligible for after 2 years of being disabled.
<br />
<br />
<br />

julie

LOL light

Jessi, Mel is right, SSDI is based off of your work history (age at application and # of years you've been employed and amount you earned equals a certain # of credits). SSI is based off of the income of everyone in the household and is for those who don't have a work history or enough of a work history to qualify.

See you Friday, I'll have some print outs for you to make this make more sense.

julie

LOL light

Jessi, Mel is right, SSDI is based off of your work history (age at application and # of years you've been employed and amount you earned equals a certain # of credits). SSI is based off of the income of everyone in the household and is for those who don't have a work history or enough of a work history to qualify.

julie

LOL light

julie

LOL light

julie

LOL light
<br />
<br />Jessi, Mel is right, SSDI is based off of your work history (age at application and # of years you've been employed and amount you earned equals a certain # of credits). SSI is based off of the income of everyone in the household and is for those who don't have a work history or enough of a work history to qualify.
<br />
<br />See you Friday, I'll have some print outs for you to make this make more sense.