Disability (SSI)

Robinranae

Anyone receiving SSI for disability related to CF? I'm fixing to turn 18 and have not had a job. I was told if I got a job then my SSI would be cut out and I receive that through my insurance. Problem being, I NEED INSURANCE. What is a good alternative? I'm a bit confused. I was told that I may never have to get a job in order to keep receiving payment for my meds and stuff. I need help/advice. Thanks!!

Robinranae

Anyone receiving SSI for disability related to CF? I'm fixing to turn 18 and have not had a job. I was told if I got a job then my SSI would be cut out and I receive that through my insurance. Problem being, I NEED INSURANCE. What is a good alternative? I'm a bit confused. I was told that I may never have to get a job in order to keep receiving payment for my meds and stuff. I need help/advice. Thanks!!

musclemania70

you can receive ssi if your income is very small (below their guidlines). Then you would probably qualify for your state medicaid program which pays for almost all your scripts. The first step is to go to your local dept of social services AND social security office and apply in person. tell them you cannot work and need assistance.

this is under the assumption you do not plan on working a significant amount..

I'd recommnend trying to find a job and getting insurance through your employer if your health allows for you to work. Its a much better feeling being employed and earning a paycheck then taking handouts. HOWEVER, some CF patients cannot work and being on government programs is their only option. You have to do what's best for you.

musclemania70

you can receive ssi if your income is very small (below their guidlines). Then you would probably qualify for your state medicaid program which pays for almost all your scripts. The first step is to go to your local dept of social services AND social security office and apply in person. tell them you cannot work and need assistance.

this is under the assumption you do not plan on working a significant amount..

I'd recommnend trying to find a job and getting insurance through your employer if your health allows for you to work. Its a much better feeling being employed and earning a paycheck then taking handouts. HOWEVER, some CF patients cannot work and being on government programs is their only option. You have to do what's best for you.

jbrandyn

if you visit the SSA website they have a good explanation of the process, I think you might be able to apply online now to. Depending on the state you live in there will be different wait times, but if you are going to college or in a position where you can't get private insurance SSI and Medicaid is really good to have. If you have a social worker for CF they should be able to help point you in the right direction and get the necessary supporting evidence. Unfortunately it is a kind of long process, but once you get it it's great to have access to healthcare.

On the job thing, there is a certain amount you can make before they suspend your medicaid so you would have to find out what the income guidelines are for that. If you are going to go to college work study grants do not effect your income.

jbrandyn

if you visit the SSA website they have a good explanation of the process, I think you might be able to apply online now to. Depending on the state you live in there will be different wait times, but if you are going to college or in a position where you can't get private insurance SSI and Medicaid is really good to have. If you have a social worker for CF they should be able to help point you in the right direction and get the necessary supporting evidence. Unfortunately it is a kind of long process, but once you get it it's great to have access to healthcare.

On the job thing, there is a certain amount you can make before they suspend your medicaid so you would have to find out what the income guidelines are for that. If you are going to go to college work study grants do not effect your income.

jbrandyn

Oh and be sure to get a good letter from your doc explaining why you can't work and that you have a terminal disability before you turn 18 you should be fine. it sounds kind of over dramatic but it helps you not get denied and have to appeal.
Best of luck!

jbrandyn

Oh and be sure to get a good letter from your doc explaining why you can't work and that you have a terminal disability before you turn 18 you should be fine. it sounds kind of over dramatic but it helps you not get denied and have to appeal.
Best of luck!

julie

If you are currently receiving SSI, it will NOT change simply because you turn 18.

What state do you live in? Many have different income limits for healthcare for the "Working disabled", so if you are considered disabled but are working a bit, the income threasholds are higher to still qualify for medicaid.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions, services@dafcf.org (www.dafcf.org)