disability

ladybug

SSDI is actual social security disability insurance based solely on you meeting the criteria for being a disabled person.

SSI is supplemental income and is directly related to how much money you have and whether that is enough (based on their criteria, which isn't very accurate) to live on. Many people don't qualify for SSI cause this is also based on any other income in your home for any reason and its a very very small amount (i.e. you need to be nearly destitute with your finances) they consider you need SSI. I'm pretty sure you can't get SSI UNLESS you get SSDI, but you CAN get SSDI and not qualify for SSI. Someone correct me if this is incorrect.

I agree though that you should apply for both. It doesn't hurt and you may qualify and be awarded both, which would be great!!

ladybug

SSDI is actual social security disability insurance based solely on you meeting the criteria for being a disabled person.

SSI is supplemental income and is directly related to how much money you have and whether that is enough (based on their criteria, which isn't very accurate) to live on. Many people don't qualify for SSI cause this is also based on any other income in your home for any reason and its a very very small amount (i.e. you need to be nearly destitute with your finances) they consider you need SSI. I'm pretty sure you can't get SSI UNLESS you get SSDI, but you CAN get SSDI and not qualify for SSI. Someone correct me if this is incorrect.

I agree though that you should apply for both. It doesn't hurt and you may qualify and be awarded both, which would be great!!

ladybug

ladybug

ladybug

<br />
<br />SSI is supplemental income and is directly related to how much money you have and whether that is enough (based on their criteria, which isn't very accurate) to live on. Many people don't qualify for SSI cause this is also based on any other income in your home for any reason and its a very very small amount (i.e. you need to be nearly destitute with your finances) they consider you need SSI. I'm pretty sure you can't get SSI UNLESS you get SSDI, but you CAN get SSDI and not qualify for SSI. Someone correct me if this is incorrect.
<br />
<br />I agree though that you should apply for both. It doesn't hurt and you may qualify and be awarded both, which would be great!!

becca23

definetly contact julie, her work is amazing. I have just applied and she has been a tremendous help throughout the process. You can qualify for both SSI and SSDI. SSI is based off your income and SSDI is based off you work history.

becca23

definetly contact julie, her work is amazing. I have just applied and she has been a tremendous help throughout the process. You can qualify for both SSI and SSDI. SSI is based off your income and SSDI is based off you work history.

becca23

becca23

becca23

LouLou

I only receive SSDI and didn't bother applying to SSI bc I was above the income bracket or had more money in the bank than they would allow. I don't remember the details sorry, I just know I couldn't qualify for it. Also remember that dependents of disabled parents (ie my son) get SSDI benefits. Together my son and I get a total of $30K per year. The amount is based on wage amounts I earned in the previous 10 years.

LouLou

I only receive SSDI and didn't bother applying to SSI bc I was above the income bracket or had more money in the bank than they would allow. I don't remember the details sorry, I just know I couldn't qualify for it. Also remember that dependents of disabled parents (ie my son) get SSDI benefits. Together my son and I get a total of $30K per year. The amount is based on wage amounts I earned in the previous 10 years.

LouLou

LouLou

LouLou

Brad

I applied for Both because I found out that SSI is faster and that way
it gave me a little something to tide me over.

I no longer get it either because my SS is to high and I did have to
pay it back, But it did Help until the SSDI came through...

Brad

Brad

Brad

Brad

<br /> it gave me a little something to tide me over.
<br />
<br /> I no longer get it either because my SS is to high and I did have to
<br /> pay it back, But it did Help until the SSDI came through...