Disappointing news from the doc.

Landy

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>chantelfox</b></i>

ALL THIS TIME I thought it was <b><i>your
lung capacity</i></b> that was the number that was looked at (mine
is high 70%'s) </end quote></div>

This may sound silly, but how do you know what your lung capacity is?

Aren't PFT's used to determine degrees of restriction, obstruction, etc.
For example, if my FEV1 is 40% does that mean my lung capacity is 40% or just that I can only blow out 40% of what is predicted for females of my age/weight. What if I'm 'not doing it right' when I do PFT's, then this would be a misleading number.
Would something like a CT Scan determine what your lung capacity is & PFT determine what your lung function is or are these 2 terms one in the same?
See...I told you this may sound silly.

chantelfox

<br>
"This may sound silly, but how do you know what your lung
capacity is? Aren't PFT's used to determine degrees of restriction,
obstruction, etc. For example, if my FEV1 is 40% does that mean my
lung capacity is 40% or just that I can only blow out 40% of what
is predicted for females of my age/weight. What if I'm 'not doing
it right' when I do PFT's, then this would be a misleading number.
Would something like a CT Scan determine what your lung capacity is
& PFT determine what your lung function is or are these 2 terms
one in the same? See...I told you this may sound silly."<br>
<br>
<br>
Hey there, ok..so from what I just was told by this doctor was that
one number is your lung capacity or how much air your lungs
can take in based on your stats for a person your size, weight, age
and so on who does NOT have respiratory issues, but the other
number ( I forget the name of the measurement) determines how much
you can blow out in one second. Apparently, the more you can blow
out in one second, the less obstructed and restricted your airways
are. Which means less damage from the disease. So the less
air your lungs are able to get out in one second the more your
health declines.  <br>
<br>
I just wish that growing up they did not act like the your lung
capacity  was the most important number.  So frustrating
and disappointing....<br>
<br>
<br>

chantelfox

<br>
<br>
<br>
health declines.  <br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

chantelfox

<br>
<br>
<br>
health declines.  <br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

chantelfox

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>princessjdc</b></i> Dont feel bad
you can always bring them up. I knew which one they looked at, but
I can see how it can be confusing, because there is soo many
numbers.</end quote></div><br>
<br>
<br>
How can you bring them up? I exercise, but is there any other way?
(That I can realistically fit into my day.)

chantelfox

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>princessjdc</b></i> Dont feel bad
<br>
<br>

chantelfox

<br>
<br>

coltsfan715

I think FVC is your total lung capacity
FEV1 is the volume of air you can force out in the first second of exhalation.

I am not sure about all the other numbers onthe PFT readout.

Lindsey

coltsfan715

Lindsey

coltsfan715

Lindsey

ladybug

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>chantelfox</b></i>

(That I can realistically fit into my day.)</end quote></div>

How is your weight? Many docs think weight is directly related to lung health... I know when I weigh more (AND workout regularily), I do better overall and have gained some lung funtion. For example, about 5 years ago I was in a pretty bad relationship and pretty bad off mentally as well. I rarely worked out and did not eat well. I weighed about 94 lbs. and had little muscle mass or "meat" on my bones. I also was trying to cram in full time school and part time work in the evenings and was just plain exhausted. I had to take a serious look at where my health fell in my priorities and my well-being.

Then, I got married to my best friend and got in a much better place mentally. I started eating A LOT to put on weight, which was pretty easy cause DH made me go to the gym every other day (sometimes more) and do lots of cardio, so I was often hungry. Instead of grabbing fruit or small snacks, I now grab nuts and ice cream and whole milk and peanut butter (you get the picture....) So, now I weigh 104 (even weighed 115 in Texas a coupla years ago!!!) and my FEV1 has gone up about 6%. This is with very little IV interaction...

So I credit my eating habits, mental state and excercising with my progress. I think you have to be in a place mentally where you take charge of your health. I also think you have to make peace with maybe not changing it drastically but knowing every little bit you do counts... whether you see it or not in "numbers" on some test. If your mind is at peace and in a good place, your body can follow. I also communicate a lot more and don't hold feelings in like I used to, which also helps me sleep better and live better. So, get out your agressions and don't let that stuff fester inside you. That can also boost your numbers IMHO.

Anyway, don't worry... your numbers CAN go up! Just get in the right place with your mind and body and do what you need to do and you can get there. It may take extra effort, but its worth it when you feel the outcome.

Good luck!!

ladybug

How is your weight? Many docs think weight is directly related to lung health... I know when I weigh more (AND workout regularily), I do better overall and have gained some lung funtion. For example, about 5 years ago I was in a pretty bad relationship and pretty bad off mentally as well. I rarely worked out and did not eat well. I weighed about 94 lbs. and had little muscle mass or "meat" on my bones. I also was trying to cram in full time school and part time work in the evenings and was just plain exhausted. I had to take a serious look at where my health fell in my priorities and my well-being.

Then, I got married to my best friend and got in a much better place mentally. I started eating A LOT to put on weight, which was pretty easy cause DH made me go to the gym every other day (sometimes more) and do lots of cardio, so I was often hungry. Instead of grabbing fruit or small snacks, I now grab nuts and ice cream and whole milk and peanut butter (you get the picture....) So, now I weigh 104 (even weighed 115 in Texas a coupla years ago!!!) and my FEV1 has gone up about 6%. This is with very little IV interaction...

So I credit my eating habits, mental state and excercising with my progress. I think you have to be in a place mentally where you take charge of your health. I also think you have to make peace with maybe not changing it drastically but knowing every little bit you do counts... whether you see it or not in "numbers" on some test. If your mind is at peace and in a good place, your body can follow. I also communicate a lot more and don't hold feelings in like I used to, which also helps me sleep better and live better. So, get out your agressions and don't let that stuff fester inside you. That can also boost your numbers IMHO.

Anyway, don't worry... your numbers CAN go up! Just get in the right place with your mind and body and do what you need to do and you can get there. It may take extra effort, but its worth it when you feel the outcome.

Good luck!!

ladybug

Good luck!!

gsplover

I don't think there is a magic way of bring up your FEV1s. I was told complience, complience, complience. I don't try to worry too much about bringing them up. I care more about not letting them fall.

Do you know if 53% is your baseline or is it down from normal? My base line is about the same. I have gone down to 38%...flare up with IVs and brought them back up to my baseline.

Like someone elde said numbers are not everything. I can jog 2 miles without stopping with my current lung functions. This is with very little training. You need to care more about how you feel than what the tests show. You know your body best!

gsplover

I don't think there is a magic way of bring up your FEV1s. I was told complience, complience, complience. I don't try to worry too much about bringing them up. I care more about not letting them fall.

Do you know if 53% is your baseline or is it down from normal? My base line is about the same. I have gone down to 38%...flare up with IVs and brought them back up to my baseline.

Like someone elde said numbers are not everything. I can jog 2 miles without stopping with my current lung functions. This is with very little training. You need to care more about how you feel than what the tests show. You know your body best!

gsplover

princessjdc

numbers.</end quote></div>

Do you take Hypertonic Saline? Thats how I got mine up. I use the 7% tho.