Discouraged about getting pregnant...any help or suggestions??

Kxray328

I'm 25 married and been trying to get pregnant for a year. I'm sick of seeing drs because they always root against me saying "oh it will be hard!" So it would be nice to hear encouragement since so many cf woman are pregnant. Any help would be appreciated :)

G

Hello! Sorry to hear your docs aren't supportive. What's your health status right now? How is your lung function? Energy level? Etc. Everyone w. CF is different and has a different situation with respect to kids. Are the docs saying it will be hard to conceive (common in CF) or hard to be a parent w. CF, or both? These variables make a huge difference. And yes, there's lots of moms with CF on this site and elsewhere. Good luck :)

Kxray328

Thank you, I have been sick the past few months but I'm recovering good. My lung function is good and my GI is where most of my problems are, with blockages. I keep hearing about "thick cervical mucus" and wonder if that will contribute to making pregnancy hard for me. I'm hoping it won't but so far that's been heavy on my mind.

G

Yes, CM is the main problemo for most of us (cervical mucus). But that's just a conception issue, and it sounds like if your health is otherwise OK it shouldn't stop you. A lot of women w. CF are going the assisted reproduction route due to CM....IUI, IVF, etc. I'm not sure the cost and the play-by-play of what it entails, but essentially the process involves implanting sperm manually to bypass that pesky CM....once pregnant , a lot of CF women experience few complications and deliver healthy babies. (Side note: the first step is obviously genetic testing to ensure your partner is not a CF carrier). There are plenty of blogs out there that deal with this. PM me if you want more info! (I'm not a CF mommy yet but am addicted to learning about the possibility / process of getting pregnant w. CF. :)