Disney GAC Cards Replaced by DAS on October 9th

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Apparently this doesn't affect Make a Wish Trips, but due to abuse, Disney is replacing their GAC cards with a Disability Access Card. Similar to what universal has where you're given a time to return to go on rides and see shows. Still get your DAC at Guest Relations, but you explain your restrictions, not your condition (disease). A photo is taken to insure that you are the one receiving the card. Card is also larger so the CM's can write your return time on the back of the card.

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3179460

Gnome

Although it is disappointing I can understand why Disney did this. There was just too much abuse. The time we went to Disneyland we just stood in line with everybody else and that was with a high functioning autistic child as well as CF kids. We were fine but it wasn't hot or anything and we put our autistic on our back and she was fine waiting 1.5 hours at times. Actually with my dealing with autism the lower functioning autistics are the ones who will have the hardest time with this change as they needed this system but they also don't deal with change well. Although I can see if it is hot CFers would need this as well.

jshet

We just returned from our sons Make ?A Wish trip and had the most wonderful time ever. Unfortunately we will not be returning to Disney because mu son also has autism and cannot do a trip without the old guest assistance card. It would be a miserable trip for all of us.
i made observations on our recent trip of the abuse of the pass since the new program had not started yet. I have severe back and neck problems and am unable to ride the big rides that have warnings for people with back and neck issues. My son loves these rides and is afraid of nothing. So while my son, daughter, and husband ride these rides I sit and wait with my sons service dog because if I rode I would be unable to function the entire day. I watch ad wheel chair after wheel chair of adults are pushed into the fast pass or exits of these lines and see these people hop up and get on these rides with no assistance what so ever. Like they have just received a miracle. Then they get back into their wheelchair and our pushed on to the next ride that if I rode I would need to be pushed in a wheelchair the rest of the day.

We love Disney. My son is 17 and he loves getting autographs and seeing the characters. It is a shame that people had to ruin this for the ones that truly need it. I know that The Autism ?Notebook is working close with ?Disney so hopefully they will keep tweeting it and improving the new program