Do gas stoves harm cystic fibrosis patients at all?

JazzysMom

I grew up on a gas stove. I only had an electric stove for a short time in the apartment we lived at before buying our home. Otherwise its been gas. If you have a carbon monoxide alarm & the stove is a newer, energy efficient I would worry too much.

I didnt like cooking with electric.

JazzysMom

I grew up on a gas stove. I only had an electric stove for a short time in the apartment we lived at before buying our home. Otherwise its been gas. If you have a carbon monoxide alarm & the stove is a newer, energy efficient I would worry too much.

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />I didnt like cooking with electric.

Transplantmommy

I have always had a gas stove and I had never noticed any difference with it. The only reason that my FEV1 decreased is because my CF progressed.

Transplantmommy

I have always had a gas stove and I had never noticed any difference with it. The only reason that my FEV1 decreased is because my CF progressed.

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

Nightwriter

Hi,

I'm going to pass along the information my doctor has told me. She is a pulmonary doctor with asthma as one of her specialties. Since being treated by her, my lung function has gone UP for the last 11 years (after declinig steadily). She says that gas stoves are bad for asthma and that electric cooking (and heating actually)is much healthier. I would by an electric stove and if possible the kind that 65rosessamarai mentioned as the newest kind of stove which heats superfast -- much faster than gas.

Gas is a known irritant for respiratory patients. You have even cited references stating so. It increases inflammation in the lungs -- the sourced of so many problems. And there is a little talked about but critical asthma component to C.F.

And not to disregard anyone else's experiences, but my doctor always tells me when someone says something doesn't bother them, she says that that is only evident when the yearly Pulmonary Function Tests are taken. If there is a decline, then you can't for sure that something isn't affecting you. A lot of triggers aren't felt at all, but they are quietly doing their damage.

Since you are lucky enough to have a choice, I'd say pick the one that will definetely NOT cause any kind of lung damage. Your boyfriend is lucky to have someone like you who is trying to help him.

Nightwriter

Hi,

I'm going to pass along the information my doctor has told me. She is a pulmonary doctor with asthma as one of her specialties. Since being treated by her, my lung function has gone UP for the last 11 years (after declinig steadily). She says that gas stoves are bad for asthma and that electric cooking (and heating actually)is much healthier. I would by an electric stove and if possible the kind that 65rosessamarai mentioned as the newest kind of stove which heats superfast -- much faster than gas.

Gas is a known irritant for respiratory patients. You have even cited references stating so. It increases inflammation in the lungs -- the sourced of so many problems. And there is a little talked about but critical asthma component to C.F.

And not to disregard anyone else's experiences, but my doctor always tells me when someone says something doesn't bother them, she says that that is only evident when the yearly Pulmonary Function Tests are taken. If there is a decline, then you can't for sure that something isn't affecting you. A lot of triggers aren't felt at all, but they are quietly doing their damage.

Since you are lucky enough to have a choice, I'd say pick the one that will definetely NOT cause any kind of lung damage. Your boyfriend is lucky to have someone like you who is trying to help him.

Nightwriter

Hi,

Nightwriter

Hi,

Nightwriter

Hi,
<br />
<br />I'm going to pass along the information my doctor has told me. She is a pulmonary doctor with asthma as one of her specialties. Since being treated by her, my lung function has gone UP for the last 11 years (after declinig steadily). She says that gas stoves are bad for asthma and that electric cooking (and heating actually)is much healthier. I would by an electric stove and if possible the kind that 65rosessamarai mentioned as the newest kind of stove which heats superfast -- much faster than gas.
<br />
<br />Gas is a known irritant for respiratory patients. You have even cited references stating so. It increases inflammation in the lungs -- the sourced of so many problems. And there is a little talked about but critical asthma component to C.F.
<br />
<br />And not to disregard anyone else's experiences, but my doctor always tells me when someone says something doesn't bother them, she says that that is only evident when the yearly Pulmonary Function Tests are taken. If there is a decline, then you can't for sure that something isn't affecting you. A lot of triggers aren't felt at all, but they are quietly doing their damage.
<br />
<br />Since you are lucky enough to have a choice, I'd say pick the one that will definetely NOT cause any kind of lung damage. Your boyfriend is lucky to have someone like you who is trying to help him.