Do I need to go to ER?

running4life

I am not very good at telling when I need to go to the doctor or ER. I have only been hospitalized once for my CF. The time I went to the ER, I had been working 50+ hours a week and working out 5-6 days a week up until the day I went. I realized it was time to go, when I couldn't make it up my stairs without taking a break and being completely out of breathe. With that said, I'm not very good at knowing when it's time to go to ER.

Anyway, my lungs are very tight right now. I did the vest for only 20 minutes with HTS and then Pulmozyme this morning. Was feeling VERY tight in my chest and back. I took Foradil before my AM treatment and did Albuterol inhaler after. I still didn't feel right. Few hours later I was feeling better and I did a pretty hard workout at gym and did my usual coughing session after it was over. Immediately, I felt the tightness and pain in my back return. That was about 4-5 hours ago and it hasn't gotten any better.

I think it could be allergies too as the glands in my throat are swollen now too. I have taken a hot shower and that didn't help. I've taken my PM Foradil, Advil, and Tylenol. My breathing is a bit shallow and my chest is tight.

The local hospital is not my CF center and they don't know what to do with me. My CF Center is 90 minutes away. Would you go to ER?

Melissa75

Administrator
I think it has been an hour or more since you posted this question... I have a bad habit of getting worse on weekends, so I can relate.

I think you should call your CF center and speak to the on-call doctor, explain what you are experiencing and have him/her help you make this decision--also they could call the local hospital ahead if that is where they tell you to go.

On a side note, have you neb'ed some albuterol? That makes a big different imo in lung tightness. Better than albuterol inhaler or long-acting meds like foradil. Also, do you have a pulse oximeter? And when you look in the mirror, do you see retractions: the skin pulling into your ribs and the base of your throat when you breathe?