Do you clean the NUK?

BaylorCrew07

I use the NUK Baby Bottle Sterilizer that was sent to me from CF Service to clean my altera nebs. It has developed a brown/orange residue/deposits on the bottom metal part that you pour the water on. Should I try to clean this off, or just leave it?

Also, I know it says to use tap water, but for the advent sterilizer I was using previously, I used distilled water...should I be using distilled water for the NUK as well, or do you guys use tap water? I was thinking the distilled water might prevent the brown stuff from forming again, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance

BaylorCrew07

I use the NUK Baby Bottle Sterilizer that was sent to me from CF Service to clean my altera nebs. It has developed a brown/orange residue/deposits on the bottom metal part that you pour the water on. Should I try to clean this off, or just leave it?

Also, I know it says to use tap water, but for the advent sterilizer I was using previously, I used distilled water...should I be using distilled water for the NUK as well, or do you guys use tap water? I was thinking the distilled water might prevent the brown stuff from forming again, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance

BaylorCrew07

<br />
<br />Also, I know it says to use tap water, but for the advent sterilizer I was using previously, I used distilled water...should I be using distilled water for the NUK as well, or do you guys use tap water? I was thinking the distilled water might prevent the brown stuff from forming again, but I'm not sure.
<br />
<br />Thanks in advance

scanboyd

I use tap water to steam sterlize. Use 50% vinegar tap water mixture, soak over night to clean out the the rusty looking build up. Also, after each use of the sterilizer I wipe out the base with a paper towel, seems like this slows the build up process.

scanboyd

I use tap water to steam sterlize. Use 50% vinegar tap water mixture, soak over night to clean out the the rusty looking build up. Also, after each use of the sterilizer I wipe out the base with a paper towel, seems like this slows the build up process.

scanboyd

biz

hav the same exact problems with mine. actually got a call from the company who sent it all to me and askd bout the burt water on the metal plate she said same thing as above post use vinegar to clean it. i tried doesnt do the best job but it did help a little. as far as the cylander chamber that holds the bottle holder mine was gettin stained from the burnt water. i put that, the bottle holder, the blue tray in the dishwasher. didnt take the stain off. thinking bout takin my magic eraser to it.

when the rep called me i told her of the concerns i was having and she said they will send me a new one if i want. if u still hav the box i think number is on it or the direction pamphlet. so if u want u can call them and talk to them and im sure they will offer you a new one. let me knw how it goes and if u hav any good suggestions for cleaning it.
--------------------------------------
Elizabeth
mama to Aidan 5 w/cf

biz

hav the same exact problems with mine. actually got a call from the company who sent it all to me and askd bout the burt water on the metal plate she said same thing as above post use vinegar to clean it. i tried doesnt do the best job but it did help a little. as far as the cylander chamber that holds the bottle holder mine was gettin stained from the burnt water. i put that, the bottle holder, the blue tray in the dishwasher. didnt take the stain off. thinking bout takin my magic eraser to it.

when the rep called me i told her of the concerns i was having and she said they will send me a new one if i want. if u still hav the box i think number is on it or the direction pamphlet. so if u want u can call them and talk to them and im sure they will offer you a new one. let me knw how it goes and if u hav any good suggestions for cleaning it.
--------------------------------------
Elizabeth
mama to Aidan 5 w/cf

biz

<br />
<br />when the rep called me i told her of the concerns i was having and she said they will send me a new one if i want. if u still hav the box i think number is on it or the direction pamphlet. so if u want u can call them and talk to them and im sure they will offer you a new one. let me knw how it goes and if u hav any good suggestions for cleaning it.
<br />--------------------------------------
<br />Elizabeth
<br />mama to Aidan 5 w/cf

K

kfw1963

I have only used distilled water and have not had the discoloration. I also wipe it dry with a paper towel after each use so no water sits in the tray overnight to air dry.

K

kfw1963

I have only used distilled water and have not had the discoloration. I also wipe it dry with a paper towel after each use so no water sits in the tray overnight to air dry.

K

kfw1963

triples15

Super Moderator
Hey Debra,

My first round of Cayston I used tap water for the first week or so and the base quickly started getting that buildup you describe. I used a vinegar/water solution just like others had mentioned and let it sit for about 20 mins, then wiped with a paper towel. It got most of the scale off, but a tiny bit remained.

Since then I've used distilled water in it and never had a problem with more scale buildup. Our water is VERY hard, so I'm sure that's what was causing the problem. If one has softer water I would imagine they could use tap water?

triples15

Super Moderator
Hey Debra,

My first round of Cayston I used tap water for the first week or so and the base quickly started getting that buildup you describe. I used a vinegar/water solution just like others had mentioned and let it sit for about 20 mins, then wiped with a paper towel. It got most of the scale off, but a tiny bit remained.

Since then I've used distilled water in it and never had a problem with more scale buildup. Our water is VERY hard, so I'm sure that's what was causing the problem. If one has softer water I would imagine they could use tap water?

triples15

Super Moderator
Hey Debra,
<br />
<br />My first round of Cayston I used tap water for the first week or so and the base quickly started getting that buildup you describe. I used a vinegar/water solution just like others had mentioned and let it sit for about 20 mins, then wiped with a paper towel. It got most of the scale off, but a tiny bit remained.
<br />
<br />Since then I've used distilled water in it and never had a problem with more scale buildup. Our water is VERY hard, so I'm sure that's what was causing the problem. If one has softer water I would imagine they could use tap water?

W

windex125

our water is very hard as well alot of minerals, I have to let the hot water run a few mins as rust comes out at first, Great Long Island Water AHHHH so I didn't take any chances I used distilled for a dollar a gal why not? But the vinegar rinse sounds good as well, I use that mixutre to clean my coffe pot once a month. Good luck Pat- 56/CF

W

windex125

our water is very hard as well alot of minerals, I have to let the hot water run a few mins as rust comes out at first, Great Long Island Water AHHHH so I didn't take any chances I used distilled for a dollar a gal why not? But the vinegar rinse sounds good as well, I use that mixutre to clean my coffe pot once a month. Good luck Pat- 56/CF