Do You Travel to a CF Center in Another State to Get Good Care?

Lovett

I originally posted a similar question under "How Awesome is Your Doctor", but I'm hoping to get more response by giving it this post.
We're moving to Texas but considering the possibility of flying to a really good <em>ADULT</em> CF Center for appointments several times a year. I know others do this. What are the positives or negatives? What happens if you become ill and need help immediately? What about hospitalizations? I look at the CF Care Center Data over and over, but there are so many things to consider. Once you reach adulthood, there seems to be a big difference in the kind of care you receive and the depth of knowledge of the staff in hospital. Any advice?
P.S. We're considering Denver because it has been ranked as the #1 respiratory hospital in the country (but not with respect to CF), and we have close friends in Denver, and it is a quick nonstop flight on Southwest.

Lovett

I originally posted a similar question under "How Awesome is Your Doctor", but I'm hoping to get more response by giving it this post.
We're moving to Texas but considering the possibility of flying to a really good <em>ADULT</em> CF Center for appointments several times a year. I know others do this. What are the positives or negatives? What happens if you become ill and need help immediately? What about hospitalizations? I look at the CF Care Center Data over and over, but there are so many things to consider. Once you reach adulthood, there seems to be a big difference in the kind of care you receive and the depth of knowledge of the staff in hospital. Any advice?
P.S. We're considering Denver because it has been ranked as the #1 respiratory hospital in the country (but not with respect to CF), and we have close friends in Denver, and it is a quick nonstop flight on Southwest.

S

sdelorenzo

We live in Houston and have taken our children a few times to both Minnneapolis and Denver clinics. It is good
to see how the other clinics run and to get some different advice. But it is almost impossible to attend a clinic as your primary clinic so far away. The doctor close by is the one who makes the decisions when you are sick and that is what is important. We have found that the clinics don't work together. But I do recommend visiting other clinics. We learned a lot.
Sharon, mom of Sophie, 10 and Jack, 8 both with CF, Grant, 3 and Paige, 1 both without CF

S

sdelorenzo

We live in Houston and have taken our children a few times to both Minnneapolis and Denver clinics. It is good
to see how the other clinics run and to get some different advice. But it is almost impossible to attend a clinic as your primary clinic so far away. The doctor close by is the one who makes the decisions when you are sick and that is what is important. We have found that the clinics don't work together. But I do recommend visiting other clinics. We learned a lot.
Sharon, mom of Sophie, 10 and Jack, 8 both with CF, Grant, 3 and Paige, 1 both without CF

D

Deb

I had an NTM I went to Denver because they specialize in this. I have been there twice (almost twenty years apart) I ended up having a pneumonectomy at University of Denver in 2010--again because they are the best. I now return to National Jewish once a year for follow ups. It is great to have another opinion. Denver is great about working with your local physicians but sometimes the local physicians act like they don't appreciate another opinion. (At least that is my experience). It's my health so I figure they can deal with it.
BTW...I travel 3 hours to my clinic appointments in another state because it is better.

D

Deb

I had an NTM I went to Denver because they specialize in this. I have been there twice (almost twenty years apart) I ended up having a pneumonectomy at University of Denver in 2010--again because they are the best. I now return to National Jewish once a year for follow ups. It is great to have another opinion. Denver is great about working with your local physicians but sometimes the local physicians act like they don't appreciate another opinion. (At least that is my experience). It's my health so I figure they can deal with it.
BTW...I travel 3 hours to my clinic appointments in another state because it is better.

dramamama

I live in Dallas and have been going to National Jewish for 6 years. I would never go to any other clinic. ever.
I had HORRIBLE experiences with the Dallas clinic (the nurses were HORRIBLE at getting back to you (3 days for a hemoptysis issue,) I sat in the hospital at UT SOUTHWESTERN with a collapsed lung for 2 days before I could convince them to do an x-ray, my doctor was AWOL all the time, they didn't use email...I could go on and on and on and on.
Thankfully, that doctor left and went to Baylor, the nurses were fired or left last year and they are SLOWLY rebuilding that clinic. The director of the clinic (my God-father) retired in the fall... He understood the issues with the adult clinic and 100% supported me leaving to do to Denver and still advocates that I continue with Denver... I hate to say it, but if you are an adult and are capable of traveling...well, you can get where I am going with this.
PM me if you need a more detailed answer about the issues with the DALLAS ADULT CLINIC...

dramamama

I live in Dallas and have been going to National Jewish for 6 years. I would never go to any other clinic. ever.
I had HORRIBLE experiences with the Dallas clinic (the nurses were HORRIBLE at getting back to you (3 days for a hemoptysis issue,) I sat in the hospital at UT SOUTHWESTERN with a collapsed lung for 2 days before I could convince them to do an x-ray, my doctor was AWOL all the time, they didn't use email...I could go on and on and on and on.
Thankfully, that doctor left and went to Baylor, the nurses were fired or left last year and they are SLOWLY rebuilding that clinic. The director of the clinic (my God-father) retired in the fall... He understood the issues with the adult clinic and 100% supported me leaving to do to Denver and still advocates that I continue with Denver... I hate to say it, but if you are an adult and are capable of traveling...well, you can get where I am going with this.
PM me if you need a more detailed answer about the issues with the DALLAS ADULT CLINIC...

mikorankin

Yes, an involved CF care center is an absolute as an adult. There is no care center that is going to care more about your health than you will. That being said, it's good to know that teaching hospitals typically have better care centers because they are driven by results...and there is something to be said about the staff physicians that are employed there- they take those positions via deliberate decisions to do the very best they can.

I started feeling neglected some years ago at my previous care center in West Palm Beach and decided to check out Emory in Atlanta. The two are night and day. Emory is a true teaching hospital with an incredible staff at every level.
My understanding is that the culprit of apathetic care is now gone from St. Mary's and replaced with somebody extremely capable. I will not switch back however, since I have witnessed a staff and system of care that is perhaps, second to none. Also, I do hold my previous physician accountable to for a decline in health that could have been avoided had I undergone some of the diagnostic tests in years prior, that I did undergo at my first visit to Emory University's CF care center. I can not be secretive and sparing of feelings and add any value to a response without pointing out the vast differences in care centers. I went through everything from unreported labs to no labs at all from my previous center. At my first visit to Emory, they were shocked that my records were so thin and that I was completely missing certain diagnostic tests that they had been running of their adult population for years. To learn that I had moderate to sever osteoporosis (upon my first ever bone scan) simply due to a calcium deficiency, caused a rage that will impact trust in my previous center for a very long time.
There are drawbacks, but let me say that they are minor when you realize that you need to always put health first. As a sidenote, I realize that people typically have 3-4 items rank filed as the most important things in their life: Their family; their religion; their health; and their finances. With CF, we have the responsibility of keeping health toward the top- or at least recognizing that it is always most salient. It's almost ironic that I manage the financial lives of others, yet I know that my clients love the fact that my life is about discipline....that spills over into how I handle my business.
The dynamic between health and family has several issues already, and one more when you factor in "an away" care center: You will not have them around as much as you would like should you need to be hospitalized. It's important to recognize since spouses and kids can not put everything on hold to be with you for the duration of a stay. And most importantly, you would not want to check in to your local hospital if you are deliberately attending a different care center for superior care, i.e. if you don't trust them for check-ups, you don't want them in a time of distress.
If I turned an objective response into a vent, I can at least double back and give an outdated but very astute observation about Texas. I will preface it by dating it to 25 years ago: I attended the Children's Medical Center in Dallas 25 years ago for multiple years and felt that they were fantastic (as much as an mildly affected child/adolescent could discern from attendence. However, I also attended CF camps in San Antonio back then and clearly witnessed remarkable and superior health differences in the attendees from the Houston CF Clinic. Again, I believe to be the fact that the Houston Clinic was tied to a teaching hospital back then and Dallas was not. I believe that Dallas Childrens' Medical Center may be tied to Baylor Dallas now but not sure. I also understand UAB Birmingham to be a great center and a little closer to you. Lastly, if you love plane trips, consider the research and transplant meca of Duke in NC. It seems that all the best infomation and CFF protocol comes from there. It was my next stops if Emory had not been so incredible.
Hope that helps the decision process.

mikorankin

Yes, an involved CF care center is an absolute as an adult. There is no care center that is going to care more about your health than you will. That being said, it's good to know that teaching hospitals typically have better care centers because they are driven by results...and there is something to be said about the staff physicians that are employed there- they take those positions via deliberate decisions to do the very best they can.

I started feeling neglected some years ago at my previous care center in West Palm Beach and decided to check out Emory in Atlanta. The two are night and day. Emory is a true teaching hospital with an incredible staff at every level.
My understanding is that the culprit of apathetic care is now gone from St. Mary's and replaced with somebody extremely capable. I will not switch back however, since I have witnessed a staff and system of care that is perhaps, second to none. Also, I do hold my previous physician accountable to for a decline in health that could have been avoided had I undergone some of the diagnostic tests in years prior, that I did undergo at my first visit to Emory University's CF care center. I can not be secretive and sparing of feelings and add any value to a response without pointing out the vast differences in care centers. I went through everything from unreported labs to no labs at all from my previous center. At my first visit to Emory, they were shocked that my records were so thin and that I was completely missing certain diagnostic tests that they had been running of their adult population for years. To learn that I had moderate to sever osteoporosis (upon my first ever bone scan) simply due to a calcium deficiency, caused a rage that will impact trust in my previous center for a very long time.
There are drawbacks, but let me say that they are minor when you realize that you need to always put health first. As a sidenote, I realize that people typically have 3-4 items rank filed as the most important things in their life: Their family; their religion; their health; and their finances. With CF, we have the responsibility of keeping health toward the top- or at least recognizing that it is always most salient. It's almost ironic that I manage the financial lives of others, yet I know that my clients love the fact that my life is about discipline....that spills over into how I handle my business.
The dynamic between health and family has several issues already, and one more when you factor in "an away" care center: You will not have them around as much as you would like should you need to be hospitalized. It's important to recognize since spouses and kids can not put everything on hold to be with you for the duration of a stay. And most importantly, you would not want to check in to your local hospital if you are deliberately attending a different care center for superior care, i.e. if you don't trust them for check-ups, you don't want them in a time of distress.
If I turned an objective response into a vent, I can at least double back and give an outdated but very astute observation about Texas. I will preface it by dating it to 25 years ago: I attended the Children's Medical Center in Dallas 25 years ago for multiple years and felt that they were fantastic (as much as an mildly affected child/adolescent could discern from attendence. However, I also attended CF camps in San Antonio back then and clearly witnessed remarkable and superior health differences in the attendees from the Houston CF Clinic. Again, I believe to be the fact that the Houston Clinic was tied to a teaching hospital back then and Dallas was not. I believe that Dallas Childrens' Medical Center may be tied to Baylor Dallas now but not sure. I also understand UAB Birmingham to be a great center and a little closer to you. Lastly, if you love plane trips, consider the research and transplant meca of Duke in NC. It seems that all the best infomation and CFF protocol comes from there. It was my next stops if Emory had not been so incredible.
Hope that helps the decision process.

Lovett

Thanks for sharing your experiences. When our daughter was first diagnosed, 22 years ago, it seemed so sensible to seek care at the children's CF Center we were close to. And lucky for us, I think if was a good one. But now as adults, the game is different. We just want to do what is best.

Lovett

Thanks for sharing your experiences. When our daughter was first diagnosed, 22 years ago, it seemed so sensible to seek care at the children's CF Center we were close to. And lucky for us, I think if was a good one. But now as adults, the game is different. We just want to do what is best.