does anyone do IV saline hydration while on meds?

kittencaitlin

Hi,

I know often inpatient we get IV saline on a drip, but do any of you do IV saline drip at home while you are on IV antibiotics?

This time around I seem to be incredibly dehydrated and the only thing that makes me able to clear, and to feel better is, IV hydration. No matter how much water I am drinking.

My docs seem to think this is very odd (and it is, i guess, for me), but it doesn't seem odd to me that I would be so dehydrated with these meds as I am on 2 strong IV ones and 2 strong oral ones and am pretty sick

Also - has anyone ever experienced harm from too much IV saline? I know it is possible but unlikely with CF patients

Caitlin

D

DebbieS

Absolutely! Whenever I had IV treatments at home, I insisted on having hydration because it made so much difference in the healing process. The meds dry you out. Winter dries you out. And doesn't everyone know one is supposed to flush all the sickness out with liquids, lots of 'em? And I'm not the only one who did that among the CF'ers I know.

Have a quick and easy recovery! Hope you feel better asap :)

Debbie, double lung transplant, cfrd, hypothyroid, ddf508

chris27rocker

I always found a lot of benefits to having IV hydration: mucus clearance was easier, I was able to eat more because I wasn't full of water, and my IV's seemed to last longer when I kept them open with fluids. However, as I got sicker (I recently had a transplant), I suffered with chronic swelling, and my doctors were reluctant to pump more fluid into me. Plus, while I was on the transplant waiting list, they didn't want to artificially increase my weight at all, so that I would appear healthier than I was. If you're able to process it, I feel that the fluid is always helpful!

D

DebbieS

And no, I didn't experience any harm or know anyone who did from IV hydratioon. One bag a day worked well for me. I used it during the nighttime; during the day I could drink sufficiently. Good luck Caitlin!

Debbie