Does anyone know about these mutations?

moongoddess176

My one year old son was recently diagnosed with CF. His mutations are df508 which I understand is the most common and G542x. Does anyone have these mutations or know anything about this combination. Thanks in advance!!

moongoddess176

My one year old son was recently diagnosed with CF. His mutations are df508 which I understand is the most common and G542x. Does anyone have these mutations or know anything about this combination. Thanks in advance!!

moongoddess176

moongoddess176

moongoddess176

jaimers

Super Moderator
you can google them or if you type them in in the search bar on the left side of the page there are some old forum discussions on at least the G542x

jaimers

Super Moderator
you can google them or if you type them in in the search bar on the left side of the page there are some old forum discussions on at least the G542x

jaimers

Super Moderator

jaimers

Super Moderator

jaimers

Super Moderator

CFHockeyMom

Five mutations--delta F508, G542X, W1282X, N1303K, and 3849 + 10kb C-->T--account for 97% of the CF alleles in the Ashkenazi Jews.

DF508 is a Class II gene and G542X is a Class I gene.

Class I mutations lead to defects in the synthesis of stable CFTR mRNA transcripts resulting in absence of the CFTR protein. About half of all mutations in CFTR (encompassing premature termination, exon skipping, aberrant mRNA splicing, and frameshifts) are thought to fall into this class and result in complete loss of CFTR protein/function.

Class II mutations complete protein translation but produce an abnormal protein that fails to escape the endoplasmic reticulum. Little or no CFTR reaches the plasma membrane, and the absence of all surface CFTR results in a severe phenotype. It is being increasingly recognized that mutations in unrelated genes can create defective proteins, which fail to traffic properly through the cell. Classically, missense mutations creating an abnormal protein were thought to be relatively benign or less consequential than nonsense mutations (null) or large deletions. This is no longer strictly the case because examples from CF and other inherited disorders demonstrate that a synthesized protein that fails to mature along the normal biosynthetic pathway often becomes quite destructive.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>1: Thorax. 2005 Jul;60(7):558-63. Links
Genotype-phenotype correlation for pulmonary function in cystic fibrosis.de Gracia J, Mata F, Alvarez A, Casals T, Gatner S, Vendrell M, de la Rosa D, Guarner L, Hermosilla E.
Department of Pneumology, Hospital general Vall d'Hebron, Barcelona, Spain. jgracia@separ.es

BACKGROUND: Since the CFTR gene was cloned, more than 1000 mutations have been identified. To date, a clear relationship has not been established between genotype and the progression of lung damage. A study was undertaken of the relationship between genotype, progression of lung disease, and survival in adult patients with cystic fibrosis (CF). METHODS: A prospective cohort of adult patients with CF and two CFTR mutations followed up in an adult cystic fibrosis unit was analysed. Patients were classified according to functional effects of classes of CFTR mutations and were grouped based on the CFTR molecular position on the epithelial cell surface (I-II/I-II, I-II/III-V). Spirometric values, progression of lung disease, probability of survival, and clinical characteristics were analysed between groups. RESULTS: Seventy four patients were included in the study. Patients with genotype I-II/I-II had significantly lower current spirometric values (p < 0.001), greater loss of pulmonary function (p < 0.04), a higher proportion of end-stage lung disease (p < 0.001), a higher risk of suffering from moderate to severe lung disease (odds ratio 7.12 (95% CI 1.3 to 40.5)) and a lower probability of survival than patients with genotype I-II/III, I-II/IV and I-II/V (p < 0.001). CONCLUSIONS: The presence of class I or II mutations on both chromosomes is associated with worse respiratory disease and a lower probability of survival.</end quote></div>

In short, a Class I-II/I-II combination is typically associated with a poor clinical outcome (i.e. lower PFT, PI, and a lower probability of survival). Where as someone with a I-II/III, I-II/IV or I-II/V is typically associated with less severe symptoms and in general a more favorable clinical outcome.

Of course, we have plenty of people on the forum here that have the same genotypes but completely different clinical outcomes. Environment, compliance, quality of care, and luck all contribute to clinical outcome.

CFHockeyMom

Five mutations--delta F508, G542X, W1282X, N1303K, and 3849 + 10kb C-->T--account for 97% of the CF alleles in the Ashkenazi Jews.

Class I mutations lead to defects in the synthesis of stable CFTR mRNA transcripts resulting in absence of the CFTR protein. About half of all mutations in CFTR (encompassing premature termination, exon skipping, aberrant mRNA splicing, and frameshifts) are thought to fall into this class and result in complete loss of CFTR protein/function.

Class II mutations complete protein translation but produce an abnormal protein that fails to escape the endoplasmic reticulum. Little or no CFTR reaches the plasma membrane, and the absence of all surface CFTR results in a severe phenotype. It is being increasingly recognized that mutations in unrelated genes can create defective proteins, which fail to traffic properly through the cell. Classically, missense mutations creating an abnormal protein were thought to be relatively benign or less consequential than nonsense mutations (null) or large deletions. This is no longer strictly the case because examples from CF and other inherited disorders demonstrate that a synthesized protein that fails to mature along the normal biosynthetic pathway often becomes quite destructive.

Genotype-phenotype correlation for pulmonary function in cystic fibrosis.de Gracia J, Mata F, Alvarez A, Casals T, Gatner S, Vendrell M, de la Rosa D, Guarner L, Hermosilla E.
Department of Pneumology, Hospital general Vall d'Hebron, Barcelona, Spain. jgracia@separ.es

BACKGROUND: Since the CFTR gene was cloned, more than 1000 mutations have been identified. To date, a clear relationship has not been established between genotype and the progression of lung damage. A study was undertaken of the relationship between genotype, progression of lung disease, and survival in adult patients with cystic fibrosis (CF). METHODS: A prospective cohort of adult patients with CF and two CFTR mutations followed up in an adult cystic fibrosis unit was analysed. Patients were classified according to functional effects of classes of CFTR mutations and were grouped based on the CFTR molecular position on the epithelial cell surface (I-II/I-II, I-II/III-V). Spirometric values, progression of lung disease, probability of survival, and clinical characteristics were analysed between groups. RESULTS: Seventy four patients were included in the study. Patients with genotype I-II/I-II had significantly lower current spirometric values (p < 0.001), greater loss of pulmonary function (p < 0.04), a higher proportion of end-stage lung disease (p < 0.001), a higher risk of suffering from moderate to severe lung disease (odds ratio 7.12 (95% CI 1.3 to 40.5)) and a lower probability of survival than patients with genotype I-II/III, I-II/IV and I-II/V (p < 0.001). CONCLUSIONS: The presence of class I or II mutations on both chromosomes is associated with worse respiratory disease and a lower probability of survival.</end quote></div>

In short, a Class I-II/I-II combination is typically associated with a poor clinical outcome (i.e. lower PFT, PI, and a lower probability of survival). Where as someone with a I-II/III, I-II/IV or I-II/V is typically associated with less severe symptoms and in general a more favorable clinical outcome.

Of course, we have plenty of people on the forum here that have the same genotypes but completely different clinical outcomes. Environment, compliance, quality of care, and luck all contribute to clinical outcome.

CFHockeyMom

CFHockeyMom

BACKGROUND: Since the CFTR gene was cloned, more than 1000 mutations have been identified. To date, a clear relationship has not been established between genotype and the progression of lung damage. A study was undertaken of the relationship between genotype, progression of lung disease, and survival in adult patients with cystic fibrosis (CF). METHODS: A prospective cohort of adult patients with CF and two CFTR mutations followed up in an adult cystic fibrosis unit was analysed. Patients were classified according to functional effects of classes of CFTR mutations and were grouped based on the CFTR molecular position on the epithelial cell surface (I-II/I-II, I-II/III-V). Spirometric values, progression of lung disease, probability of survival, and clinical characteristics were analysed between groups. RESULTS: Seventy four patients were included in the study. Patients with genotype I-II/I-II had significantly lower current spirometric values (p < 0.001), greater loss of pulmonary function (p < 0.04), a higher proportion of end-stage lung disease (p < 0.001), a higher risk of suffering from moderate to severe lung disease (odds ratio 7.12 (95% CI 1.3 to 40.5)) and a lower probability of survival than patients with genotype I-II/III, I-II/IV and I-II/V (p < 0.001). CONCLUSIONS: The presence of class I or II mutations on both chromosomes is associated with worse respiratory disease and a lower probability of survival.</end quote>

CFHockeyMom

BACKGROUND: Since the CFTR gene was cloned, more than 1000 mutations have been identified. To date, a clear relationship has not been established between genotype and the progression of lung damage. A study was undertaken of the relationship between genotype, progression of lung disease, and survival in adult patients with cystic fibrosis (CF). METHODS: A prospective cohort of adult patients with CF and two CFTR mutations followed up in an adult cystic fibrosis unit was analysed. Patients were classified according to functional effects of classes of CFTR mutations and were grouped based on the CFTR molecular position on the epithelial cell surface (I-II/I-II, I-II/III-V). Spirometric values, progression of lung disease, probability of survival, and clinical characteristics were analysed between groups. RESULTS: Seventy four patients were included in the study. Patients with genotype I-II/I-II had significantly lower current spirometric values (p < 0.001), greater loss of pulmonary function (p < 0.04), a higher proportion of end-stage lung disease (p < 0.001), a higher risk of suffering from moderate to severe lung disease (odds ratio 7.12 (95% CI 1.3 to 40.5)) and a lower probability of survival than patients with genotype I-II/III, I-II/IV and I-II/V (p < 0.001). CONCLUSIONS: The presence of class I or II mutations on both chromosomes is associated with worse respiratory disease and a lower probability of survival.</end quote>

moongoddess176

Thank you both for the information! It is nice to know what class his mutations are and I guess I am back to the one day at a time philosophy!

moongoddess176

Thank you both for the information! It is nice to know what class his mutations are and I guess I am back to the one day at a time philosophy!

moongoddess176

moongoddess176

moongoddess176