Does Cf and Food Alleries go together?

Gnome

So my kids have no food allergies. But to me I seem to be asked if my kids have food allergies a lot more than other parent's ofkids without CF.I thinking of one casewhere the preschool teacher askeda classof parentsif their child had allergies to peanutsandshe looked at me when she said it. Expecting my child with CF to be the one allergic to something. I think situations like this happen to me more than it happens to other parents without CF kids.
Is this just me? Is this common to every other CF parent too? Is there even a scientific basis for CFers having more allergies than most.

Gnome

So my kids have no food allergies. But to me I seem to be asked if my kids have food allergies a lot more than other parent's ofkids without CF.I thinking of one casewhere the preschool teacher askeda classof parentsif their child had allergies to peanutsandshe looked at me when she said it. Expecting my child with CF to be the one allergic to something. I think situations like this happen to me more than it happens to other parents without CF kids.
Is this just me? Is this common to every other CF parent too? Is there even a scientific basis for CFers having more allergies than most.

CJPsMom

I wish we had been asked about allergies more. After FTT at 7 months and the feeding tube insertion...we found out about a milk/soy allergy. Everyone thought he wasn't eating because of the CF...might not have been eating because it made his throat hurt. *sigh*
So, we have allergies, but I don't know if it's related to CF.

CJPsMom

I wish we had been asked about allergies more. After FTT at 7 months and the feeding tube insertion...we found out about a milk/soy allergy. Everyone thought he wasn't eating because of the CF...might not have been eating because it made his throat hurt. *sigh*
So, we have allergies, but I don't know if it's related to CF.

Gnome

CJPsMom sorry to hear about that. And I didn't know that lactose intoloerance is high in the CF populations. Just hasn't been my experience I guess.

Gnome

CJPsMom sorry to hear about that. And I didn't know that lactose intoloerance is high in the CF populations. Just hasn't been my experience I guess.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
I have not seen the research studies in which there is a direct correlation between lactose intolerance and CF. I think people assume if you have respiratory issues you also have allergies. My daughter drinks milk. I remember our nutritionist saying anecdotally some people think milk increases mucus production but there is not research to back it up.

CF has a huge inflammatory component so foods that cause inflammation, some people with CF avoid. White sugar and I think milk. The flip side is to eat food that decrease inflammation like salmon, fish oil, almonds,I know there are alot more, like dark leafy greens spinach, spices like curcumin.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
I have not seen the research studies in which there is a direct correlation between lactose intolerance and CF. I think people assume if you have respiratory issues you also have allergies. My daughter drinks milk. I remember our nutritionist saying anecdotally some people think milk increases mucus production but there is not research to back it up.

CF has a huge inflammatory component so foods that cause inflammation, some people with CF avoid. White sugar and I think milk. The flip side is to eat food that decrease inflammation like salmon, fish oil, almonds,I know there are alot more, like dark leafy greens spinach, spices like curcumin.

meteoras69

My son is allergic to dairy, soy, and peanuts. No one else in either my husband's family or my family have any of these food allergies. He had a severe allergic reaction the first time he was exposed to any of these foods and needs an epipen in case of accidental exposure. We have been told this may be related to his CF/pancreatic insufficiency, but there is just not enough research in the area to determine if this is certainly the case or how/why that might be so. I'd love to hear the perspectives of any others on this issue......

meteoras69

My son is allergic to dairy, soy, and peanuts. No one else in either my husband's family or my family have any of these food allergies. He had a severe allergic reaction the first time he was exposed to any of these foods and needs an epipen in case of accidental exposure. We have been told this may be related to his CF/pancreatic insufficiency, but there is just not enough research in the area to determine if this is certainly the case or how/why that might be so. I'd love to hear the perspectives of any others on this issue......

lilismom

We just had Lili tested for food allergies and intolerance. Her Naturopath said their was no correlation between CF and true food allergies. Her one true allergy is Beef. The list of food intolerance's is huge: Wheat, eggs, chicken, rice, grapes, soy, oatmeal... he said some of these could be a result of CF and may change over time if we are careful with her diet. Interestingly enough she had no reaction to Dairy. He also suggested we add a digestive enzyme which will help digest things in the stomach in addition to the Zen Pep.
In the couple of weeks she has cut out the above foods she says her stomach is feeling much better.

lilismom

We just had Lili tested for food allergies and intolerance. Her Naturopath said their was no correlation between CF and true food allergies. Her one true allergy is Beef. The list of food intolerance's is huge: Wheat, eggs, chicken, rice, grapes, soy, oatmeal... he said some of these could be a result of CF and may change over time if we are careful with her diet. Interestingly enough she had no reaction to Dairy. He also suggested we add a digestive enzyme which will help digest things in the stomach in addition to the Zen Pep.
In the couple of weeks she has cut out the above foods she says her stomach is feeling much better.

CJPsMom

What type of digestive enzyme do you add to the zenpep? We seem to have hit a weight wall. We're not sure if it was the switch to zenpep from creon or if something else is going on.

CJPsMom

What type of digestive enzyme do you add to the zenpep? We seem to have hit a weight wall. We're not sure if it was the switch to zenpep from creon or if something else is going on.

lilismom

I just ordered the enzyme from her Drs office yesterday and it hasn't been delivered yet, I'll give you the details when I get it. It is a nutritional supplement so it's OTC.

lilismom

I just ordered the enzyme from her Drs office yesterday and it hasn't been delivered yet, I'll give you the details when I get it. It is a nutritional supplement so it's OTC.

ehtansky21

I think a lot of CFers with pancreatic insufficiency suffer from symptoms of food intolerances more than food allergies. Their digestive systems just have difficulty digesting certain foods

CJPsMom, have you looked into adding sodium bicarbonate to all times you add enzymes??? We saw huge results with that addition. We do it on top of prilosec/prevacid to lower stomach acid...
We have had the most solid poops ever!!!

blessings,
missa

ehtansky21

I think a lot of CFers with pancreatic insufficiency suffer from symptoms of food intolerances more than food allergies. Their digestive systems just have difficulty digesting certain foods

CJPsMom, have you looked into adding sodium bicarbonate to all times you add enzymes??? We saw huge results with that addition. We do it on top of prilosec/prevacid to lower stomach acid...
We have had the most solid poops ever!!!

blessings,
missa