Does Inhaled Tobi bring down 02 temporarily?

CFSanDiego

Hi Everyone. My daughter has had a chest cold for 7 days so I have been monitoring her 02 levels. Coincidentally she is taking inhaled tobi right now. My question is, can inhaled tobi bring down 02 levels? It appears it is reducing hers by 2-3 points (she is falling asleep on tobi, so I know sleep 02 is lower than awake 02, but she is reading 94-95 when it is normally 97 - 99).

Thanks,
Edan

triples15

Super Moderator
For me Tobi causes severe bronchospasms/shortness of breath. So my guess would be her airways are reacting a little to the Tobi, causing the lower 02. I think a lot of people have mild problems (reactive airways)with Tobi, but the benefits outweigh the negatives. For me it got so bad that I could hardly breath after a dose of Tobi, despite pre and post dosing of albuterol, so I can no longer use it. Maybe worth mentioning to her doc tho, just so it's noted. With me it started mild and got progressively worse, so if your daughter would happen to start becoming more short of breath/tight chested, you may know the culprit.

Good luck to you, I hope she gets better quickly!

Autumn 32 w/CF

Starfall99

Seconding Autumn here. I used to be able to tolerate Tobi, but over time I gradually became more reactive to it. I stopped using it at all for a couple years because it induced such severe breathing problems and I was able to get by without it. I then started getting it through a compounding pharmacy, and seemed to tolerate that better than the actual name-brand Tobi, but over time I became reactive to that too. Currently I can tolerate it for almost a week, then I need to take Predisone to control the bronchspasms and get me through the next few weeks. I have a feeling that eventually I may not be able to tolerate it at all, but it's really effective so I'll keep using it as long as I can. It's worthwhile to keep an eye on how your daughter reacts and maintain communication with her doctor about this issue.

Good luck!

Eliana
34 w/ CF