Does mucinex work?

Emer76

Does anyone take mucinex(genric) ?Was told I could take 1200mg bid by cf nurse pract. Just wondering if it works for you or I'm I wasting my money? Thanks.

G

Gorf

I don't think where supposed to, I will ask today, I go for checkup.

Lena Bean

Honestly, I only took it in the past when I wasn't able to get my normal CF meds, because it was better than nothing. I've heard of a lot of CF women taking it to help them get pregnant though.

scanboyd

I take 1200 mg. guaifensin expectorant daily, 800 am and 400 pm. Need all the help I can get to thin my mucous. Drink plenty of h2o.
400 tablets cost about $10.00 at Sam's. It helps me!!

scarecrow

Active ingredient is Guafinicin? the same thing as cough syrup. Other things probably work better but as long as you don't have high blood pressure it shouldn't do any harm and it will help some to loosen up phlegm. I take just 1 400mg. w/ all my other goodies every morning.

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
It is a little like attending church. If you feel better through the experience, why not? Water seems to be necessary for any success with guafinicin. I have tried it from time to time and it makes me nauseas above all so it isn't in my arsenal. When the topic of thinning mucus was posted about a year ago, guafinicin was trotted across the forum with mixed reviews as today. I went through a thought experiment, weaving the story of mucus from the specialized cells that make it, the membrane of cells that the mucus coats and so on through the elimination of the soiled mucus.

In CF if the malfunction occurs right at the mucus procuction point, all mucus produced will be thick. That said, in the lungs and oral cavities like the sinuses, mucus humidifies dry air and protects delicate membranes from drying out. As mucus drys, more fresh mucus forms beneath. Guafinicin encourages mucus production. It has no impact on the quality of that mucus.

LL

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Interesting! I was about to write that my boys both take 600 mg twice a day. We started it once and haven't stopped. Now Im curious. I'm going to have them go off for a month to see if there us a change. It's expensive, so if they don't really need it, we'll save some money!

running4life

I buy the generic kind at Walmart ($6 fo 60 pills, I believe). Well worth it. I notice a different. I drink a LOT of water every single day. It helps me a bunch, but my lung function is in high 80s so maybe that has something to do with it??