Does people with CF process fats differently?

knowitall

Banned
Absorb/process same difference really. Your Dad is correct. You don't absorb fat normally that is, if you take enzymes, if you don't then you have little/no issue with fat. This is part of CF 101... how old are you? Start by reading some of the question and answer stuff on the CFF site, and then move on to more advanced stuff when you're ready. Knowledge is power.

Enzo2311

Absorb/process same difference really. Your Dad is correct. You don't absorb fat normally that is, if you take enzymes, if you don't then you have little/no issue with fat. This is part of CF 101... how old are you? Start by reading some of the question and answer stuff on the CFF site, and then move on to more advanced stuff when you're ready. Knowledge is power.
im almost 18. I knew that I didn't process fat differently if I don't take my enzymes, but I thought that I process fat the same if I do take them. My dad was saying that no matter what I process it differently.

albino15

I don't think enzymes are a perfect solution I mean based on what people here have written, it's like they help some people better than they help others. I think I understand what you said but it just reads funny to me.

You said: "I knew that I didn't process fat differently if I don't take my enzymes," I think you meant that you knew you didn't process fat differently if you do take your enzymes. It's just that the double negatives are making my head spin. Please clarify.

The other poster has also confused me. Maybe I just don't get it. Or my brain is running slow today. LOL

I thought it went like this:
If you have to take enzymes then you are not digesting things like fat, properly. (This would be called Pancreatic Insufficiency)

If you don't have to take enzymes then you are digesting things normally or normally enough. (This would be Pancreatic Sufficiency)

If you are a person who needs to take enzymes and you do take them like you're suppose to, then yes you are digesting things more normally but you’re probably not digesting things perfectly. I mean if enzymes enabled people with CF to digest things perfectly then why is it also highly recommended that people with CF take special vitamins? And if enzymes worked perfectly then people with CF would have virtually no weight problems. Right?

R

RytheStunner

You still process them differently if you take enzymes. Enzymes do not "cure" your pancreas while you're taking them, so your pancreas is not processing your food no matter what. They're simply replacing the enzyme that is missing.

G

goherbs87654

Yes, because thick mucus is blocking the channel in your pancreas that normal carries essential enzymes to your intestines to process foods. When this blockage happens your body cannot absorb or process nutrients like fats. Thus, people who have this condition can’t gain weight even if they do regular diet and have good appetite.

sugarcookie

Come on people. The person was asking a question and doesn't need condescending answers. Asking him how old he is, telling him fat processing is CF101, and complaining about his double-negatives is unacceptable. Isn't this forum supposed to help, not hurt.