Doing cayston on the go

Kristen

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>LouLou</b></i> Two things: The original manufacturer of the Eflow said not to use antibacterial because of residue issue I believe. I do not steam sterilize the head in the steamer? Do you all? Why do that...isnt' that the point of the alcohol bath we all are directed to leave the head in when it is not in use?</end quote>
This is my understanding about the soap as well. Only clear dish soap because other stuff may clog the head.
I use the steam sterilizer instead of the alcohol bath. CF services actually sent me a sterilizer with my first month of Cayston, and the instructions for cleaning/sterilizing do not mention alcohol at all.

Kristen

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>LouLou</b></i> Two things: The original manufacturer of the Eflow said not to use antibacterial because of residue issue I believe. I do not steam sterilize the head in the steamer? Do you all? Why do that...isnt' that the point of the alcohol bath we all are directed to leave the head in when it is not in use?</end quote>
This is my understanding about the soap as well. Only clear dish soap because other stuff may clog the head.
I use the steam sterilizer instead of the alcohol bath. CF services actually sent me a sterilizer with my first month of Cayston, and the instructions for cleaning/sterilizing do not mention alcohol at all.

LouLou

Interesting Kristen. I guess my instructions are old from pre Altera days of the Trio. I thought if you left the head out in a clean state it would clog that it needed to literally "live" in alcohol. Let me ask you this how long do you get out of a head? Mine last around 6 months.

LouLou

Interesting Kristen. I guess my instructions are old from pre Altera days of the Trio. I thought if you left the head out in a clean state it would clog that it needed to literally "live" in alcohol. Let me ask you this how long do you get out of a head? Mine last around 6 months.

Kristen

I started Cayston last May and I think all of my heads still work - I get a new one with each treatment cycle and I haven't been good about keeping track of which one is which, if that makes sense. How do you know if one still works? My RT said that I should toss them if they treatments start taking longer than five minutes. My treatments still take 2-3 minutes, however, hardly any of the heads "communicate" that they are empty anymore - i.e. the eFlow never beeps that the med is finished. I just have to notice when the med isn't coming out anymore. This always seems to happen within a couple of uses of a new head. Do you know if this could be a sign of clogging? I may call CF services to ask about this.

These are the instructions I am following for cleaning:
http://www.cff.org/treatments/Therapies/Respiratory/Cayston/#How_do_I_clean_my_Altera_Nebulizer?

Kristen

I started Cayston last May and I think all of my heads still work - I get a new one with each treatment cycle and I haven't been good about keeping track of which one is which, if that makes sense. How do you know if one still works? My RT said that I should toss them if they treatments start taking longer than five minutes. My treatments still take 2-3 minutes, however, hardly any of the heads "communicate" that they are empty anymore - i.e. the eFlow never beeps that the med is finished. I just have to notice when the med isn't coming out anymore. This always seems to happen within a couple of uses of a new head. Do you know if this could be a sign of clogging? I may call CF services to ask about this.

These are the instructions I am following for cleaning:
http://www.cff.org/treatments/Therapies/Respiratory/Cayston/#How_do_I_clean_my_Altera_Nebulizer?