Don't have allergies?

NoExcuses

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Foody</b></i>

If the bacteria is not causing an issue or there is no infection (overgrowth), wouldn't the body not react as described? </end quote></div>

Yes, of course.... but most CF patients are chronically colonized with bacteria, so speaking about what might happen if bacteria isn't causing an issue is speaking to about 5% of the CF population.... I don't see your point here....

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote> Or if there were antioxidents (such as GSH) or bioflavonoids (like Quercetin) available to help reduce the antihistamine response during times of bacteria infection or a part of preventative care treatment, wouldn't that help in a more supportive way. </end quote></div>

OK, no, anti-oxidents don't reduce histamine production.... neither do bioflavanoids. They may reduce subsequent <i> inflammation </i>, but they won't prevent histamines from being released....

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>One might assume that antihistamines prevent or lower the production of histamine. Actually, they don't --- antihistamines merely block the action of histamine at receptor sites. </end quote></div>

OK, the histamine cannot become effective unless it binds to the H1 receptor site. So you can have a billion histamines floating around in your body, but if it can't bind to any H1 receptor sites, the body will not experience subsequent events that histamines can produce such as inflammation.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote> Antihistamines also often produce side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and even depression. </end quote></div>

I would brush up on the package inserts of anti-histamines if I were you. Drowsiness occures prodominently with the 1st generation of anti-histamines such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl in the US). Zyrtec can produce drowsiness as well although impairment is more of a concern there. Allergra does not cross the blood brain barrier and therefore does not produce impairment. Claritin at some doses has similar side effects to Allegra. Dizziness occures at a similar rate to placebo with Zyrtec, Allegra and Claritin as well.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>the solution does not seem to be antihistimines however.</end quote></div>

Odd conclusion.....

NoExcuses

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>65rosessamurai</b></i>

Second, as I understand it, taking particular antihistimines will eventually develop a resistance to the medication.

</end quote></div>

That is incorrect my friend. Many recent peer reviewed articles published in the AAAAI or the ACAAI state that a tolerance does not occur with years of use of anti-histamines.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote> don't some of those antihistimines contain steroids? </end quote></div>

NO, and they never have in the US.... maybe in Japan ,but not here....

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote> so that's why I'd like to see more info before having to take more meds just to increase my white blood cells.</end quote></div>

What medication increases white blood cells????

NoExcuses

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>65rosessamurai</b></i>

Second, as I understand it, taking particular antihistimines will eventually develop a resistance to the medication.

</end quote></div>

That is incorrect my friend. Many recent peer reviewed articles published in the AAAAI or the ACAAI state that a tolerance does not occur with years of use of anti-histamines.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote> don't some of those antihistimines contain steroids? </end quote></div>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote> so that's why I'd like to see more info before having to take more meds just to increase my white blood cells.</end quote></div>

NoExcuses

</end quote></div>

lightNlife

Yikes!

Although that may be true for the general population, CFers have to be VERY careful when it comes to things like antihistamines.

An antihistamine prevents the body's histamines from connecting to a receptor in the body cells, thereby telling it to stop making things squishy and moist and, well, snotty. Basically antihistamines are drying agents. For CFers who are already drowning in our own thick, sticky, somewhat dry mucus, making things dryer makes it even more difficult for us to expel offending bacteria.

In my own experience, I have a MUCH more difficult time coughing things out after sleeping off an antihistamine or other cold medication with similar properties (like some antidepressants). My educated guess would be that people with lower FEV1 numbers would have even more difficulty.

lightNlife

Yikes!

Although that may be true for the general population, CFers have to be VERY careful when it comes to things like antihistamines.

An antihistamine prevents the body's histamines from connecting to a receptor in the body cells, thereby telling it to stop making things squishy and moist and, well, snotty. Basically antihistamines are drying agents. For CFers who are already drowning in our own thick, sticky, somewhat dry mucus, making things dryer makes it even more difficult for us to expel offending bacteria.

In my own experience, I have a MUCH more difficult time coughing things out after sleeping off an antihistamine or other cold medication with similar properties (like some antidepressants). My educated guess would be that people with lower FEV1 numbers would have even more difficulty.

lightNlife

Yikes!

lightNlife

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>

What medication increases white blood cells????</end quote></div>

Corticosteroids (Advair, Prednisone)

lightNlife

lightNlife

NoExcuses

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>lightNlife</b></i>

Yikes!

.</end quote></div>

Yikes! your information is out-dated.

Older anti-histamines do have anti-cholinergic affects (such as drying)...

But newer anti-histamines, such as Claritin and Allegra, do not (Diphenhydramine is Zyrtec, to a lesser extend, are). And this is stated by the FDA in their package insert.

So no, not all anti-histamines have a drying effect! Allegra & Claritin are perfectly save for CFers are take!

NoExcuses

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>lightNlife</b></i>

Yikes!

.</end quote></div>

But newer anti-histamines, such as Claritin and Allegra, do not (Diphenhydramine is Zyrtec, to a lesser extend, are). And this is stated by the FDA in their package insert.

So no, not all anti-histamines have a drying effect! Allegra & Claritin are perfectly save for CFers are take!

NoExcuses

Yikes!

.</end quote></div>

NoExcuses

Corticosteroids (Advair, Prednisone)</end quote></div>

and that relates to the article i posted or the discussion we were having how....??????

NoExcuses

and that relates to the article i posted or the discussion we were having how....??????

NoExcuses

65rosessamurai

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>What medication increases white blood cells???? </end quote></div>
In the first sentence,
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>In a surprise finding, scientists have discovered that histamine, the inflammatory compound released during allergic reactions that causes runny nose, watery eyes, and wheezing, can be produced in large amounts in the lung by neutrophils, the white blood cells that are the major component of pus.</end quote></div>
That was the interpretation I had concluded in, since "Causes", "Produces" preceeded "white blood cells".
I had to re-read it several times after your post to my reply, to see that it really suggests white blood cells were only related to being a major component of puss, and I'm still not sure whether that's the right conclusion, the sentence has too many commas to follow along to.

As for steroids, my sister gave me a sample of an allergy medicine (from the U.S.), and had cautioned me that it contained steroids in it, so I questioned about antihistimines which also contain steroids.

Second, my dear, I had been told that using the same antihistamine for allergies will eventually not work (which happened), so changing brands was suggested (which helped).

65rosessamurai

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>What medication increases white blood cells???? </end quote></div>
In the first sentence,
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>In a surprise finding, scientists have discovered that histamine, the inflammatory compound released during allergic reactions that causes runny nose, watery eyes, and wheezing, can be produced in large amounts in the lung by neutrophils, the white blood cells that are the major component of pus.</end quote></div>
That was the interpretation I had concluded in, since "Causes", "Produces" preceeded "white blood cells".
I had to re-read it several times after your post to my reply, to see that it really suggests white blood cells were only related to being a major component of puss, and I'm still not sure whether that's the right conclusion, the sentence has too many commas to follow along to.

As for steroids, my sister gave me a sample of an allergy medicine (from the U.S.), and had cautioned me that it contained steroids in it, so I questioned about antihistimines which also contain steroids.

Second, my dear, I had been told that using the same antihistamine for allergies will eventually not work (which happened), so changing brands was suggested (which helped).

65rosessamurai

In the first sentence,

NoExcuses

In the first sentence,

I had to re-read it several times after your post to my reply, to see that it really suggests white blood cells were only related to being a major component of puss, and I'm still not sure whether that's the right conclusion, the sentence has too many commas to follow along to. </end quote></div>

Are we reading the same thing?????

White blood cells, according to the article, produce histamines.

No where does it says that any medication, including anti-histamine, will increase white blood cells.........

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Second, my dear, I had been told that using the same antihistamine for allergies will eventually not work (which happened), so changing brands was suggested (which helped).</end quote></div>

Ya clearly you were told that. But just because someone told you something doesn't make it true, as you know. And yes, the placebo affect is alive and well. I'll post articles by allergists that refute what you are saying....