Double DF508

sierradavis

We are currently pregnant and my husband and I are both CF carriers so we opted to do the amnio. We got the results back in yesterday and she was confirmed to have cystic fibrosis. A double DF508 mutation. We are letting it sink in right now. I am 6 months pregnant and we have a few months but we want to make sure we are ready for the changes our lives are about to go through. We are both in the military and we are in contact with a CF specialty clinic here. They are going to meet with us to prepare us in what we need to know. We are a little worried with everything we read on the internet, I was curious if anyone has this same mutation and maybe could give us an idea of the basics that we will need to know from personal experiences.
The things running through our minds are:

We have dogs, should we find new homes for them now before the baby comes..Lab and Engish Springer..shed alot..

We did cord blood with our last child. Should we do it for this baby specifically because she has CF?

Were really worried about daycare, we both work..how do we trust someone with our child who has CF? We have over 16 years in the military, should one of us be thinking about getting out to take care of this baby..or getting orders closer to family so they can be able to help out??

And just what is the daily routine going to be? I know every child is different...how and when do you know how severe she has it?

Thanks everyone for the support!

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Dear dear Sierra,

I am so very sorry for the news. All the parents on here know exactly how you are feeling and the pain, worry, and concern you have. I'm going to try to respond as best I can and please do ask anything more you can think of:
1) We don't have pets and would never get them now but many CFers have them and have no issues. I'd ask the CF clinic for their opinion.
2) We didn't know our son had CF but did cord blood and we are very thankful we did. I would try to do just for the peace of mind because you never know what the science can do in the future and not ever second guessing that is well worth it, I think.
3) I work from home and after ds's diagnosis informed an employer I could not continue to teach a class which required travel and have declined other requests as well. That was my personal decision. Many though do continue to work and do day care and I'm sure they can help give you insight on their choice and how that works.
4) Our son has the same mutations. Even with the same mutations, though, everyone has a different experience. Our son's problems have been GI and not lung. Following is what his days are like from a treatment standpoint and then the first three years have entailed for us.
Typical Day: Wake up, change, dress, give Zantac for acid reflux which is more typical with CF and also needs to be controlled for enzymes to work. Put on vest and then do 30 minutes of a compression vest while watching videos and doing two nebulized inhaled medicines (Xopenex and hyper-tonic saline). (We do educational videos and our three year old is already learning to read. And I get 30 - 40 minutes of lovely snuggle time during treatments.) Breakfast time: 3.5 enzyme pills, vitamin, Miralax in water, high calorie drink, and yummy high-fat food. Usually a big poop. Then another inhaled treatment (Pulmozme). Then Play, play, play, play. Lunch and another 3.5 enzymes pills and more Miralax and water. Nap. Play, play, play, play. Zantac and Prilosac for acid reflux 30 minutes or so before dinner and then 3.5 enzyme pills with dinner. Another poop! And then play, play, play. Put on vest and then do 30 minutes of a compression vest while watching videos and doing two nebulized inhaled medicines (Xopenex and hyper-tonic saline). Books, change, bed.
Now that’s the medical routine. I didn’t mention the hugs, the kisses, the laughs, the “I love you mommy–that I got spontaneously for the first time tonight!!!

It sounds like a lot, but it’s now routine. The routine was different when he was a newborn–he didn’t do hypertonic saline and we did manual percussions and not the vest. And his acid-reflux meds were not right away. You’ll likely start just with Albuterol (it’s the cheeper version of Xopenex and if your baby has shakes/trouble as to be Xopenex) and percussions, enzymes and vitamins. After a few months then you might want to try to add Pulmozyme. The vest we started early at 6ish months and hyper-sal not until nearly 2. As you get through the first several months, do check back in and ask questions, etc. Keep an eye on his spit-ups and poops for both acid reflux and constipation–both that can cause problems for Cfers. Also, you’ll be feeding much more frequently as a newborn. (even now our 3x a day is RARE–our son just likes to pig out at breakfast, coast at lunch and do average at dinner and every time I try to add more meals it just becomes a battle and he doesn’t eat any more for the day). The first 6 months for me was really rough because I was nursing but our son wasn’t gaining enough so I then pumped and put formula with the breast milk so he got the benefit of the breast milk but the calories so it was like 2x the normal feedings because I had to pump and then feed!

For the first year, you go to the CF clinic every month. You’ll see the doctor, a nurse, a social worker, psychologist, and dietitian. They’ll culture your baby’s throat every 3 months to see if he has any bacteria and usually don’t treat the early ones (staph and h-influenza).

Health-wise our son has not had a sniffle, ear infection, cold, or flu, BUT we ended up in the hospital for DIOS (basically an intestinal obstruction) and ER another time from GI issues. Both could have been avoided had I know what to watch for. He has cultured staph since his first appointment and h-influenza on and off for 2 years.
I know this is a lot and I don’t mean it to be overwhelming–I just know I wish someone had told me all of this and you had asked. Also, there is another post that walks through the what to expect at the first CF appointment.

Three last things: I am not sure how your military insurance works but I’d strongly recommend finding out whether the CF Center you are scheduled to go to is an Approved Care Center. Go to the cff.org webpage and you can find that out and also search for approved care centers and if your center is not, I’d do everything possible to get to an approved care center. The cff.org webpage also has some great helpful information as does Lisa Green’s site (Lisa if you’re out there can you post the link??) I’d make sure you have ultrasounds to make sure meconium ileus (intestinal blockage) is not a concern. Finally, you might want to read up on the drugs underdevelopment at the cff.org webpage. There is a company called Vertex which has 2 great drugs in development that are designed to help Cfers with the mutations our dear children have. There is so much hope out there for a real treatment just around the corner.
Please let me know if there is anything I can help you with as you struggle through this. My prayers are with you and your family.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS has the same mutation. I had a normal pregnancy and we didn't know ds had CF until he was born. He had a bowel obstruction due to meconium illeus. That said, I would make sure that they monitor your child just in case. DS had to have surgery.

We had a dog, DH and I both worked full time and had arranged for DS to attend a daycare center after my 12 weeks of maternity leave. We did spend several weeks in the NICU while DS recovered. During that time we learned about doing chest physiotherapy, enzymes, medications, nebulizer treatments... Basically we took it one day at a time and got into a routine. DS does 3 cpt (vest) and nebulizer treatments a day to keep his lungs clear. Primarily has digestive issues, some sinus problems.

Being that DS did go to daycare, we made sure that all his vaccinations were up to date including flu and synagis shots for rsv. Also anyone in close contact with him got flu shots, anyone wanting to hold him as a baby had to wash hands first. The daycare was great about informing us about any illness going around, enforced their sick child policy, and was great about sanitizing areas, toys... The baby room was also separate from the general population (germy toddlers) DS was probably the healthiest of his friends in daycare. He did get a couple colds, ear infections, but nothing major that first year. In fact last fall he got a stomach bug -- normal childhood illness and DH and I really weren't sure what to do as we weren't used to dealing with something so common.

It's my understanding, that dogs are fine, unless there are allergy issues.

G

Gorf

I have DF508/twice, I found out I had it at 3 years old due to not gaining any weight for 18 months. I took pills at 3 years for digestion. My first lung problem was at 19 years of age with pnemonia. I am 47 now. At the time of diagnoses, parents where told I had the worst type of CF, proved the wrong on that count. The way I understand it, you can't know how bad it may be until birth and after. For me allergies are of animals, cows and trees, and your normal basic pollens. I never had problem with allergies until my 30's, except of animals, my dog slept with me when I found that part out at around 14 years of age. Go with the love in your heart, every person is different. God Bless an good luck!

sierradavis

Thanks everyone for your kind responses!
I will be getting a High frequency ultrasound every month to monitor the baby. We also have an appt next week with our CF clinic here where they will walk us through everything. We have till November (Fingers crossed) to get knowledgeable and prepare for this no matter how mild or severe. I guess were lucky in that aspect. I can't imagine having the baby and then finding out. I am your classic worrier that always likes to have a plan! I was worried about having the amnio but now I don't regret it at all bc it gives us time to prepare. Thanks everyone so much for giving me an idea of what to expect. I am now at the point where I need to stop feeling sorry for myself and be positive bc no matter what this child will be a blessing and we will give her all the love she deserves! Everyday prayer can't hurt either~ Thank you!

Alync91

You may think about taking out some special insurance plans pre-birth for your daughter. Also, my boyfriend with DDF508 (22 years) comes from a military family which has been very fortunate as he qualified for Tricare for Life---since he has a rare disease. This means he will always have insurance with Tricare and that he has the best insurance any CFer could ask for. Please look into this as I am sure there will be a lot of paperwork to fill out and the approval process can be difficult, as CFers have enormous medical expenses and so I think Tricare really doesn't like having to approve them for this program.

kitomd21

We knew we were carriers but opted out of the amnio for our children. Our second child has CF and is also dd508. We have five cats and two dogs - there is absolutely no reason why you cannot have pets. The only reason would be due to allergies. If you maintain a clean household, bathe your dogs when dirty, and keep pet dander down - there is not justifiable reason why you can't keep your dogs.

DD's (four years old) daily routine from birth has been CPT (by hand as an infant, vest once big enough) 2-3x daily for 20 mins each session (three sessions if sick), enzymes with meals (she's never been a big eater...usually three 550+ calorie Pediasure drinks/day with very small snacks throughout the day), usually one firm BM/day (you'll talk a lot about poop!!), SourceCF vitamins, Vit D3 (1-2,000 units/day), salt, Pulmozyme once/day (since about a year old), and hypertonic saline 3% twice/day since about three years old. She was on Zantac for reflux as an infant, but nothing since then. She was hospitalized at two weeks old with an exacerbation, but has been doing well since.

I work part-time, we've been blessed with a nanny when I do work. She had her synergis injections as an infant/toddler...hasn't been in daycare. I know this is the only option for many, but our first born never had more illnesses than when he was in daycare. We felt it was best to avoid it if possible. DD is starting pre-school this year...has had every cold her brother has brought home and (thank God!) has gotten over her illnesses faster than he has. We've banked cord blood for all of our children....CF or no CF.

Please feel free to ask away if you have more questions!