Dr Appt Today

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I too thought that with Tobi, it's not a one shot deal -- you're put on it for several months, if not a year despite clear cultures because of concerns with developing antibiotic resistance.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I too thought that with Tobi, it's not a one shot deal -- you're put on it for several months, if not a year despite clear cultures because of concerns with developing antibiotic resistance.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

T

tammykrumrey

I would request every three month cultures. I think that 6 months is way to long and too many things can happen in that amount of time. When my nephew was little, they only did one time a year cultures, and I think that is part of the reason why his disease has progressed much quicker than the average 16 year old. Things were not caught quick enough and then they couldn't get rid of the bugs that he had.

As for the Tobi...my younger daughter Hannah, has cultured PA, and she is only on Tobi as she has a positive culture, not every other month. That is probably because I allowed for her to go into the EPIC study which is a PA study, and it takes different routes, one way being on one month/off one month or culture basis. She obviously fell culture basis. That was a year and a three months ago, and I think she is almost done with the study, possibly in the beginning of the year. She has cultured PA three times, the first time she took two rounds, back to back and then again six months later. Her PA is still non muciod when it does pop up. I am curious as to how he will treat it after the study is over.

T

tammykrumrey

I would request every three month cultures. I think that 6 months is way to long and too many things can happen in that amount of time. When my nephew was little, they only did one time a year cultures, and I think that is part of the reason why his disease has progressed much quicker than the average 16 year old. Things were not caught quick enough and then they couldn't get rid of the bugs that he had.

As for the Tobi...my younger daughter Hannah, has cultured PA, and she is only on Tobi as she has a positive culture, not every other month. That is probably because I allowed for her to go into the EPIC study which is a PA study, and it takes different routes, one way being on one month/off one month or culture basis. She obviously fell culture basis. That was a year and a three months ago, and I think she is almost done with the study, possibly in the beginning of the year. She has cultured PA three times, the first time she took two rounds, back to back and then again six months later. Her PA is still non muciod when it does pop up. I am curious as to how he will treat it after the study is over.

T

tammykrumrey

T

tammykrumrey

T

tammykrumrey

Heidi

The clinic we go to does cultures every three months.

Whenever my seven year-old, Jake, has cultured positive for pseudomonas, he does two months back-to-back of Tobi (along with a course of cipro), then there usually is a few weeks off, then he would go to his clinic visit and get another culture done.

Heidi

Whenever my seven year-old, Jake, has cultured positive for pseudomonas, he does two months back-to-back of Tobi (along with a course of cipro), then there usually is a few weeks off, then he would go to his clinic visit and get another culture done.

Heidi

Heidi

Heidi

scrapper1264

Thanks everyone for your responses! Dr (pulmonary) is now doing the paperwork to transfer my son to a CF Center so I'm sure their schedules are totally different. I will be sure and question the 6 mo throat culture schedule because that doesn't make sense even to me, and I'm new at this!

scrapper1264

Thanks everyone for your responses! Dr (pulmonary) is now doing the paperwork to transfer my son to a CF Center so I'm sure their schedules are totally different. I will be sure and question the 6 mo throat culture schedule because that doesn't make sense even to me, and I'm new at this!

scrapper1264

scrapper1264

scrapper1264