Dried out hands

G

gunelle

<P>I've read here about people with hands/feet that look like they have been in water forever. I've tried to find that topic but without luck, so I'm posting another one. My hands are extremely dried out, I've had this over the last years. Sweating in my palms, and my palms as a result are dried out. This summer has been very hot, and I'm sweating more, and my hands are evern more dry, and I've noticed that my fingertips have these white areas. It's like a popsicle with all the juice sucked out. Little white spots. And they are sore. When I come out of the shower, my hands are all wrinkled ans sore. I've been losing salt this summer, and have been suplementing my diet with salt, and maybe my hands are also losing salt? And therefore look like they do? I don't know, or what to do, to make them look normal again. My normal doctor advised me to put creme on my hands to aid the dryness... </P>
<P> </P>
<P>Anyone out there with the same issue? What would you do/have done?</P>
<P> </P>
<P>Thanks</P>
<P> </P>
<P>G.</P>

G

gunelle

<P>I've read here about people with hands/feet that look like they have been in water forever. I've tried to find that topic but without luck, so I'm posting another one. My hands are extremely dried out, I've had this over the last years. Sweating in my palms, and my palms as a result are dried out. This summer has been very hot, and I'm sweating more, and my hands are evern more dry, and I've noticed that my fingertips have these white areas. It's like a popsicle with all the juice sucked out. Little white spots. And they are sore. When I come out of the shower, my hands are all wrinkled ans sore. I've been losing salt this summer, and have been suplementing my diet with salt, and maybe my hands are also losing salt? And therefore look like they do? I don't know, or what to do, to make them look normal again. My normal doctor advised me to put creme on my hands to aid the dryness... </P>
<P></P>
<P></P>
<P>Thanks</P>
<P></P>
<P>G.</P>

G

gunelle

<P><BR>I've read here about people with hands/feet that look like they have been in water forever. I've tried to find that topic but without luck, so I'm posting another one. My hands are extremely dried out, I've had this over the last years. Sweating in my palms, and my palms as a result are dried out. This summer has been very hot, and I'm sweating more, and my hands are evern more dry, and I've noticed that my fingertips have these white areas. It's like a popsicle with all the juice sucked out. Little white spots. And they are sore. When I come out of the shower, my hands are all wrinkled ans sore. I've been losing salt this summer, and have been suplementing my diet with salt, and maybe my hands are also losing salt? And therefore look like they do? I don't know, or what to do, to make them look normal again. My normal doctor advised me to put creme on my hands to aid the dryness... </P>
<P></P>
<P></P>
<P>Thanks</P>
<P></P>
<P>G.</P>

patderouen

<P>Yes, my son has the exact same issues. The skin even peels from his hands and then they will go back to normal and within a few days it happens again. He has also increased his salt intake. He says it seems to get worse when he's on Tobrymicin.</P>
<P> </P>
<P>Hunter'sMom</P>
<P>Son Diagnosed with CF in February</P>
<P>at 17 years of age!!</P>

patderouen

<P>Yes, my son has the exact same issues. The skin even peels from his hands and then they will go back to normal and within a few days it happens again. He has also increased his salt intake. He says it seems to get worse when he's on Tobrymicin.</P>
<P></P>
<P>Hunter'sMom</P>

patderouen

<P><BR>Yes, my son has the exact same issues. The skin even peels from his hands and then they will go back to normal and within a few days it happens again. He has also increased his salt intake. He says it seems to get worse when he's on Tobrymicin.</P>
<P></P>
<P>Hunter'sMom</P>

P

pencf

G,
My 16 yr old daughter with CF is having the EXACT problem you are having. I keep telling her not to worry about it, and in her case they don't hurt.

I hope others who have experienced this symptom respond with helpful advise.

Thank you for posting this issue, and I am anxious to hear the responses and hopefully ANSWERS to this problem.

Bethann
Mom of Madeline w/CF (DeltaF508 x2)
Pat w/out CF

P

pencf

G,
My 16 yr old daughter with CF is having the EXACT problem you are having. I keep telling her not to worry about it, and in her case they don't hurt.

I hope others who have experienced this symptom respond with helpful advise.

Thank you for posting this issue, and I am anxious to hear the responses and hopefully ANSWERS to this problem.

Bethann
Mom of Madeline w/CF (DeltaF508 x2)
Pat w/out CF

P

pencf

G,
<br />My 16 yr old daughter with CF is having the EXACT problem you are having. I keep telling her not to worry about it, and in her case they don't hurt.
<br />
<br />I hope others who have experienced this symptom respond with helpful advise.
<br />
<br />Thank you for posting this issue, and I am anxious to hear the responses and hopefully ANSWERS to this problem.
<br />
<br />Bethann
<br />Mom of Madeline w/CF (DeltaF508 x2)
<br />Pat w/out CF

M

MissAlexsBP

Hi! Yes! I have the same problem whenever I get my hands wet (which is obviously a bummer for showering...). I haven't had too much luck with completely "fixing" it, but I did talk with my dermatologist about it, and through internet searches it came up with Aquagenic Palmar Wrinkling (or something to that effect) and my dermatologist prescribed me essentially a special aluminum deodorant type thing to put on my hands every night before bed. While it hasn't completely cleared the issue, it has helped!

I hope this helps some and Good luck!!

M

MissAlexsBP

Hi! Yes! I have the same problem whenever I get my hands wet (which is obviously a bummer for showering...). I haven't had too much luck with completely "fixing" it, but I did talk with my dermatologist about it, and through internet searches it came up with Aquagenic Palmar Wrinkling (or something to that effect) and my dermatologist prescribed me essentially a special aluminum deodorant type thing to put on my hands every night before bed. While it hasn't completely cleared the issue, it has helped!

I hope this helps some and Good luck!!

M

MissAlexsBP

<br />
<br />I hope this helps some and Good luck!!

E

edan

Here is a response I gave on this site last winter:

"Except on occassion, the palm of her hand also puffs up as if water is pooling under her skin. Send me a private message with your email and I will send you an article/study done by a researcher in Ireland. To my knowledge, this is the only study done on AWP (aquagenic wrinkling of the palms) and it is not as informative as I would like. I am trying to figure out why my daughter has this, because before diagnosis (in May...she is now almost 4), this never happened to her to such a degree (well, I wasn't looking for it either), but then one day the hands swelled in addition and so now I am hypersensitive to it. For us, I believe it happens either when she has a day of not enough liquids OR after she has been on pulmozyme for an extended use of time. I have taken her off and on twice and after a few weeks it shows up, but I can't rule out the dehydration either. My guess is your doctor won't be able to tell you anything informative about it, but if he/she does, please let me know!! "

Anyway, since I have been focusing more on her hydration, it doesn't seem to happen that much anymore. In fact, she has been in the pool every day for the last few weeks and it hasn't happened once, whereas we would go through 2 weeks bouts of 2 minutes in the bath. She had been on alot of antibiotics/treatments during the time of her bouts last fall/early winter, so I often wonder if her mineral counts just go too depleted from it all as well. It really is still a mystery to us though.

E

edan

"Except on occassion, the palm of her hand also puffs up as if water is pooling under her skin. Send me a private message with your email and I will send you an article/study done by a researcher in Ireland. To my knowledge, this is the only study done on AWP (aquagenic wrinkling of the palms) and it is not as informative as I would like. I am trying to figure out why my daughter has this, because before diagnosis (in May...she is now almost 4), this never happened to her to such a degree (well, I wasn't looking for it either), but then one day the hands swelled in addition and so now I am hypersensitive to it. For us, I believe it happens either when she has a day of not enough liquids OR after she has been on pulmozyme for an extended use of time. I have taken her off and on twice and after a few weeks it shows up, but I can't rule out the dehydration either. My guess is your doctor won't be able to tell you anything informative about it, but if he/she does, please let me know!! "

Anyway, since I have been focusing more on her hydration, it doesn't seem to happen that much anymore. In fact, she has been in the pool every day for the last few weeks and it hasn't happened once, whereas we would go through 2 weeks bouts of 2 minutes in the bath. She had been on alot of antibiotics/treatments during the time of her bouts last fall/early winter, so I often wonder if her mineral counts just go too depleted from it all as well. It really is still a mystery to us though.

E

edan

<br />
<br />"Except on occassion, the palm of her hand also puffs up as if water is pooling under her skin. Send me a private message with your email and I will send you an article/study done by a researcher in Ireland. To my knowledge, this is the only study done on AWP (aquagenic wrinkling of the palms) and it is not as informative as I would like. I am trying to figure out why my daughter has this, because before diagnosis (in May...she is now almost 4), this never happened to her to such a degree (well, I wasn't looking for it either), but then one day the hands swelled in addition and so now I am hypersensitive to it. For us, I believe it happens either when she has a day of not enough liquids OR after she has been on pulmozyme for an extended use of time. I have taken her off and on twice and after a few weeks it shows up, but I can't rule out the dehydration either. My guess is your doctor won't be able to tell you anything informative about it, but if he/she does, please let me know!! "
<br />
<br />
<br />Anyway, since I have been focusing more on her hydration, it doesn't seem to happen that much anymore. In fact, she has been in the pool every day for the last few weeks and it hasn't happened once, whereas we would go through 2 weeks bouts of 2 minutes in the bath. She had been on alot of antibiotics/treatments during the time of her bouts last fall/early winter, so I often wonder if her mineral counts just go too depleted from it all as well. It really is still a mystery to us though.

lilywing

It's called aquagenic wrinkling of the palms.  And it is a CF thing.  Although the doctors at my accredited CF clinic are clueless about it.  They told me it might be a symptom of depression l o l

lilywing

It's called aquagenic wrinkling of the palms. And it is a CF thing. Although the doctors at my accredited CF clinic are cluelessabout it. They told me it might be a symptom of depression l o l