Dry Mouth

vinsmom

My 7 year old CFer has always had dehydration issues and drinks TONS of water and gatorade everyday. Recently he has developed a severe "dry mouth" with this gross sticky junk all over his teeth. It's ALWAYS there and he has to brush his teeth all the time. Has anyone ever had this? His dentist is holding some sort of toothpaste and gum for me to pick up to help stimulate his salivia production. I hope it helps cause this build up is gross and it can cause dental problems...just what we need on top of everything else.

ClashPunk82

Well when I had dry mouth and was thirsty all the time I went in for a docs appt because my mom thought it might be diabetes and sure enough it was. Now I am not saying that's it but it might be a possibility maybe you should talk to your doctor and bring that up to him/her.

thelizardqueen

I would agree with Nicole. It may not be diabetes, but it is something to look into and get tested for. Before I was diagnosed with CFRD I always had dry mouth, and extreme thirst.

coltsfan715

My first thought was diabetes as well. I would ask the doc about it.
That and is he on any medications that could cause the dry mouth. I know there are some meds that I have taken athat seem to make me thirstier than others.

Lindsey

Sid

I've definitely had that problem with some meds before. I've also had thrush, which was MUCH more severe dry mouth, almost like I had to be drinking constantly. Not fun. How long has it been going on, to this degree?