Drying out?

sdavis227

DS has been having a very crusty nose lately. To the point that I would have to pull crusties out of his nose with tweezers before administering saline spray. The nurse has said that he is "drying out" and we did just have an appt. last week for him and docs said to try some claritin because it might be from allergies.

I'm just wondering if anyone has went through this and what the outcome was? We live in a very humid area and am confused why he would start drying out when it's one of the most humid times of the year? Also, it's been 3 days with claritin and I'm just not certain that it is working like the docs thought it might.

If anyone has gone through this, please let me know. . . am also wondering if he is culturing something that would cause this?

sdavis227

DS has been having a very crusty nose lately. To the point that I would have to pull crusties out of his nose with tweezers before administering saline spray. The nurse has said that he is "drying out" and we did just have an appt. last week for him and docs said to try some claritin because it might be from allergies.

I'm just wondering if anyone has went through this and what the outcome was? We live in a very humid area and am confused why he would start drying out when it's one of the most humid times of the year? Also, it's been 3 days with claritin and I'm just not certain that it is working like the docs thought it might.

If anyone has gone through this, please let me know. . . am also wondering if he is culturing something that would cause this?

sdavis227

sdavis227

sdavis227

<br />
<br />I'm just wondering if anyone has went through this and what the outcome was? We live in a very humid area and am confused why he would start drying out when it's one of the most humid times of the year? Also, it's been 3 days with claritin and I'm just not certain that it is working like the docs thought it might.
<br />
<br />If anyone has gone through this, please let me know. . . am also wondering if he is culturing something that would cause this?
<br />
<br />

MicheleGazelle

I went through something similar for a time. Switching to sea salt and eating differently helped gradually resolve it. Initially, more gunk came out of my sinuses as my system began clearing things out. Eventually, I had less gunk coming out of my sinuses.

Good luck with this.

MicheleGazelle

I went through something similar for a time. Switching to sea salt and eating differently helped gradually resolve it. Initially, more gunk came out of my sinuses as my system began clearing things out. Eventually, I had less gunk coming out of my sinuses.

Good luck with this.

MicheleGazelle

Good luck with this.

MicheleGazelle

Good luck with this.

MicheleGazelle

<br />
<br />Good luck with this.

RonnieSharpe

I remember having those same crusties in my nose when I was a kid (I used to have so much fun picking them!). To be honest, I don't remember doing anything for them and they just eventually went away. If there was a change in medication, I certainly didn't know about it. Does he have a fan running above his head by chance (or under an air vent)? That still does it to me to this day...

Ronnie

RonnieSharpe

I remember having those same crusties in my nose when I was a kid (I used to have so much fun picking them!). To be honest, I don't remember doing anything for them and they just eventually went away. If there was a change in medication, I certainly didn't know about it. Does he have a fan running above his head by chance (or under an air vent)? That still does it to me to this day...

Ronnie

RonnieSharpe

Ronnie

RonnieSharpe

Ronnie

RonnieSharpe

<br />
<br />Ronnie

sdavis227

You know, about a month ago we changed the direction of DS's head when he sleeps and he is quite a bit closer to the vent in his room. Would never have thought about that - thank you!

He's been doing better, not as crusty with the extra saline we are giving him, but he still has tons of thick mucous coming out. Is this just a natural progression? Is this what you all live with every day or should we be trying to thin out the mucous?

sdavis227

You know, about a month ago we changed the direction of DS's head when he sleeps and he is quite a bit closer to the vent in his room. Would never have thought about that - thank you!

He's been doing better, not as crusty with the extra saline we are giving him, but he still has tons of thick mucous coming out. Is this just a natural progression? Is this what you all live with every day or should we be trying to thin out the mucous?

sdavis227

sdavis227

sdavis227

<br />
<br />He's been doing better, not as crusty with the extra saline we are giving him, but he still has tons of thick mucous coming out. Is this just a natural progression? Is this what you all live with every day or should we be trying to thin out the mucous?