Duocal

CJPsMom

Is anyone using Duocal for their toddlers? We're struggling with increasing his volume and wondering if this is a possible option. He also has a milk allergy, so many of the easier options are off the table.
Just wondering if anyone has used this with toddlers.
Thank you!

CJPsMom

Is anyone using Duocal for their toddlers? We're struggling with increasing his volume and wondering if this is a possible option. He also has a milk allergy, so many of the easier options are off the table.
Just wondering if anyone has used this with toddlers.
Thank you!

jendonl

We used Duocal with our dd since from before she turned two until she was about 6yo. She was also allergic to milk and Soy. It is expensive but it was a good supplement. It mixes easily and does not have much taste. We added it to her Rice milk (and later Soy milk when her Soy allergy went away) along with some syrup. We also added it tosoups, oatmeal and just about anything else that it could be mixed in.
Our dd is 8 now and since she is no longer allergic to cow's milk, we just use cream and olive oil as supplements.

jendonl

We used Duocal with our dd since from before she turned two until she was about 6yo. She was also allergic to milk and Soy. It is expensive but it was a good supplement. It mixes easily and does not have much taste. We added it to her Rice milk (and later Soy milk when her Soy allergy went away) along with some syrup. We also added it tosoups, oatmeal and just about anything else that it could be mixed in.
Our dd is 8 now and since she is no longer allergic to cow's milk, we just use cream and olive oil as supplements.

schmj4910

Yes, we have been using Duocal for over a year now. I have trouble finding things to mix it with. But, I do use it daily in YoBaby yogurt. I put 3 scoops in a 4 oz container. It does not mix well with Pediasure, applesauce, cottage cheese, juice. But, we always do well with the yogurt.
I have to be honest and say that I haven't noticed any weight gain. If anything, it helps maintain the weight he already has. I had high hopes of him packing on the pounds with it, but that didn't happen. It has 25 calories per scoop (roughly 1/2 tablespoon). My rationale is: it's better than nothing. And, in our case, it is better than butter or oil, because he just poops that out. At least the Duocal doesn't cause diarrhea.
I have thought about adding it to his feeding bag overnight, but thought it would gunk up. So, I haven't tried that yet.
I was able to get his insurance (Medicare) to cover it, but it took some work. Otherwise, I believe the cost is $80 per case. Each case has 4 cans (the size of baby formula cans). Once opened, a can is fresh for 30 days.

schmj4910

Yes, we have been using Duocal for over a year now. I have trouble finding things to mix it with. But, I do use it daily in YoBaby yogurt. I put 3 scoops in a 4 oz container. It does not mix well with Pediasure, applesauce, cottage cheese, juice. But, we always do well with the yogurt.
I have to be honest and say that I haven't noticed any weight gain. If anything, it helps maintain the weight he already has. I had high hopes of him packing on the pounds with it, but that didn't happen. It has 25 calories per scoop (roughly 1/2 tablespoon). My rationale is: it's better than nothing. And, in our case, it is better than butter or oil, because he just poops that out. At least the Duocal doesn't cause diarrhea.
I have thought about adding it to his feeding bag overnight, but thought it would gunk up. So, I haven't tried that yet.
I was able to get his insurance (Medicare) to cover it, but it took some work. Otherwise, I believe the cost is $80 per case. Each case has 4 cans (the size of baby formula cans). Once opened, a can is fresh for 30 days.