E-Flow (sp) with Hypertonic Saline

ccsalema

Had lovely son's quarterly appt. yesterday at MGH. Went in with a couple of questions for good doc. One of which was can my son use an eFlow to do saline and could he write us a scrip for it...was told it is physically possible to use it for saline but that Foundation Care won't let you buy one--even if you're prepared to pay out of pocket. What?
I was then told that it's not approved for use with saline by the FDA...huh? When people mix Cayston (in the Trio as opposed to the Eflow--but basically same device) in a Trio they put in the Cayston and then they put in saline, so saline is being used in the Trio...
Help? Anybody know how to lighten the burder of a 13 yr old who has every right to be tethered to a device for a shorter amount of time than when using a traditional nebulizer...
Thoughts? Help? Thanks!

ccsalema

Had lovely son's quarterly appt. yesterday at MGH. Went in with a couple of questions for good doc. One of which was can my son use an eFlow to do saline and could he write us a scrip for it...was told it is physically possible to use it for saline but that Foundation Care won't let you buy one--even if you're prepared to pay out of pocket. What?
I was then told that it's not approved for use with saline by the FDA...huh? When people mix Cayston (in the Trio as opposed to the Eflow--but basically same device) in a Trio they put in the Cayston and then they put in saline, so saline is being used in the Trio...
Help? Anybody know how to lighten the burder of a 13 yr old who has every right to be tethered to a device for a shorter amount of time than when using a traditional nebulizer...
Thoughts? Help? Thanks!

Incomudrox

Back before the eFlow was popular I was using it. I did try using HTS in it but it will clog the heads and destroy them very quickly. Even using an ultra-sonic jewelry cleaner it could get clogged with salt and become slow. That being said, a side from that the eFlow makes HTS RIDICULOUSLY harsh. Your son I guarantee will not be able to handle it, if people think the coughing fits and bronchio-spasms that happen with HTS in a PARI-LC+ are bad, you haven't seen ANYTHING yet, try it in a eFlow.

The way the eFlow/Trio works is by making the resulting particles extremely small, in some cases so small it can enter the blood stream. Which is why certain medications can not and should not be used in different devices. The laser drilled holes in the discs are different sizes depending on the medication.

HTS is NOT the same as Normal Saline (what's with Cayston (Aztreonam)). Further more when the saline is added to the Cayston (Aztreonam) it becomes a molecularly different substance. Like I stated above, the Cayston discs are different the holes are smaller than the other eFlow/Trio discs which is why they say right on the side of the Altera NOT to use ANYTHING besides Cayston in it.

In conclusion, it's not worth your time because your son likely will not be able to handle the potency of the HTS concentration when used in a Trio/eFlow. If you want to save time look into the PARI Sprint.

Incomudrox

Back before the eFlow was popular I was using it. I did try using HTS in it but it will clog the heads and destroy them very quickly. Even using an ultra-sonic jewelry cleaner it could get clogged with salt and become slow. That being said, a side from that the eFlow makes HTS RIDICULOUSLY harsh. Your son I guarantee will not be able to handle it, if people think the coughing fits and bronchio-spasms that happen with HTS in a PARI-LC+ are bad, you haven't seen ANYTHING yet, try it in a eFlow.

The way the eFlow/Trio works is by making the resulting particles extremely small, in some cases so small it can enter the blood stream. Which is why certain medications can not and should not be used in different devices. The laser drilled holes in the discs are different sizes depending on the medication.

HTS is NOT the same as Normal Saline (what's with Cayston (Aztreonam)). Further more when the saline is added to the Cayston (Aztreonam) it becomes a molecularly different substance. Like I stated above, the Cayston discs are different the holes are smaller than the other eFlow/Trio discs which is why they say right on the side of the Altera NOT to use ANYTHING besides Cayston in it.

In conclusion, it's not worth your time because your son likely will not be able to handle the potency of the HTS concentration when used in a Trio/eFlow. If you want to save time look into the PARI Sprint.

LouLou

I use 7% in a trio but I also am on Colistin (the medication that is used with a Trio) and also have the Altera for my Cayston prescription. The Trio is a lease situation with no option to buy. The Altera is loan as long as I'm taking Cayston. There are other ultrasonic nebs on the market. You may want to look to one of those.

LouLou

I use 7% in a trio but I also am on Colistin (the medication that is used with a Trio) and also have the Altera for my Cayston prescription. The Trio is a lease situation with no option to buy. The Altera is loan as long as I'm taking Cayston. There are other ultrasonic nebs on the market. You may want to look to one of those.

G

gunelle

I use the saline in my e-flow, my doctor has not advised me against it. I doesn't give me coughing fits, but helps me clear out a lot of junk, especially when I have an exerbation. I had to pay out of pocket for it, but it's worth it for me. I've had it for a couple a years now, and it does get slower, but still is a lot faster than the loud sloe machine Ihad before. I am waiting for a delivery of replacements parts to arrive any day now, ordered it a few days ago and expect the e-flow to work faster then. I recommend one.

G

gunelle

I use the saline in my e-flow, my doctor has not advised me against it. I doesn't give me coughing fits, but helps me clear out a lot of junk, especially when I have an exerbation. I had to pay out of pocket for it, but it's worth it for me. I've had it for a couple a years now, and it does get slower, but still is a lot faster than the loud sloe machine Ihad before. I am waiting for a delivery of replacements parts to arrive any day now, ordered it a few days ago and expect the e-flow to work faster then. I recommend one.

ccsalema

Interesting...I posted the same question on cysticlife.org and heard back from several ppl not here in the US that all they use abroad is Eflow with saline and all meds...well, good info and thank you for the replies...guess we'll just continue on with what we've been doing...

ccsalema

Interesting...I posted the same question on cysticlife.org and heard back from several ppl not here in the US that all they use abroad is Eflow with saline and all meds...well, good info and thank you for the replies...guess we'll just continue on with what we've been doing...