ear infections/congestion

babyluke

I think this is probably along the subject of when to call, when to go in, etc. but I am not sure what to ask when I do call.
Luke has had two double ear infections this winter. He always has increased congestion/junkiness along with them. He has been on oral antibiotics twice-amox. the first time and just recently augmentum. He is always fine for about 5-7 days after we stop the antibiotic( more than fine, perfectly clear in fact) and then he starts to get congested again (not bad, mostly upper airway, but more coughing and junkiness for sure). He finished the antibiotic a few days ago and now he is junky again today--just started yesterday and is mild still today. We have increased treatments. He is playing/eating fine. His brothers are just getting over bronchitus and I have tried so hard to keep them out of his face, keep everything disinfected, keep their hands washed, but it is really hard with small kids. So is he getting that now? Do I just go to the regular pediatrician? And I don't know--is the congestion the cause of the ear infections or vice versa.
Anyway, we have our clinic appt. next week (our quarterly visit) and I am just not sure what to do. He has never cultured positive for anything since his diagnosis so I am not sure what that would "look" like or what symptoms to look for. I know they will culture him next week. So do I wait? Do I call? Do I go to his pediatrician? He is not in any type of distress--I do know what that looks like for him. I am so confused.
Any advice would be great!
Angela, Mommy to 7 terrific kids, including Luke--19 months old w/CF

babyluke

I think this is probably along the subject of when to call, when to go in, etc. but I am not sure what to ask when I do call.
Luke has had two double ear infections this winter. He always has increased congestion/junkiness along with them. He has been on oral antibiotics twice-amox. the first time and just recently augmentum. He is always fine for about 5-7 days after we stop the antibiotic( more than fine, perfectly clear in fact) and then he starts to get congested again (not bad, mostly upper airway, but more coughing and junkiness for sure). He finished the antibiotic a few days ago and now he is junky again today--just started yesterday and is mild still today. We have increased treatments. He is playing/eating fine. His brothers are just getting over bronchitus and I have tried so hard to keep them out of his face, keep everything disinfected, keep their hands washed, but it is really hard with small kids. So is he getting that now? Do I just go to the regular pediatrician? And I don't know--is the congestion the cause of the ear infections or vice versa.
Anyway, we have our clinic appt. next week (our quarterly visit) and I am just not sure what to do. He has never cultured positive for anything since his diagnosis so I am not sure what that would "look" like or what symptoms to look for. I know they will culture him next week. So do I wait? Do I call? Do I go to his pediatrician? He is not in any type of distress--I do know what that looks like for him. I am so confused.

babyluke

babyluke

babyluke

<br />Luke has had two double ear infections this winter. He always has increased congestion/junkiness along with them. He has been on oral antibiotics twice-amox. the first time and just recently augmentum. He is always fine for about 5-7 days after we stop the antibiotic( more than fine, perfectly clear in fact) and then he starts to get congested again (not bad, mostly upper airway, but more coughing and junkiness for sure). He finished the antibiotic a few days ago and now he is junky again today--just started yesterday and is mild still today. We have increased treatments. He is playing/eating fine. His brothers are just getting over bronchitus and I have tried so hard to keep them out of his face, keep everything disinfected, keep their hands washed, but it is really hard with small kids. So is he getting that now? Do I just go to the regular pediatrician? And I don't know--is the congestion the cause of the ear infections or vice versa.
<br />Anyway, we have our clinic appt. next week (our quarterly visit) and I am just not sure what to do. He has never cultured positive for anything since his diagnosis so I am not sure what that would "look" like or what symptoms to look for. I know they will culture him next week. So do I wait? Do I call? Do I go to his pediatrician? He is not in any type of distress--I do know what that looks like for him. I am so confused.
<br />Any advice would be great!
<br />Angela, Mommy to 7 terrific kids, including Luke--19 months old w/CF

T

tammykrumrey

Hi Angela! My daughter Hannah had so many ear infections as a baby. She seemed to always have congested upper airways and ear infections. I, too, felt like she was constantly on oral antibiotics. When she was about 2 years old, she had tubes put in her ears, and she never had another ear infection. She is now 9 1/2 years old.

I don't think it would hurt to call clinic and find out if they think you should have him seem by the ped. or just wait until next week.

T

tammykrumrey

Hi Angela! My daughter Hannah had so many ear infections as a baby. She seemed to always have congested upper airways and ear infections. I, too, felt like she was constantly on oral antibiotics. When she was about 2 years old, she had tubes put in her ears, and she never had another ear infection. She is now 9 1/2 years old.

I don't think it would hurt to call clinic and find out if they think you should have him seem by the ped. or just wait until next week.

T

tammykrumrey

T

tammykrumrey

T

tammykrumrey

<br />
<br />I don't think it would hurt to call clinic and find out if they think you should have him seem by the ped. or just wait until next week.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS had 4-5 the first year. Once it was because a doctor put him on Amoxicillan and shortly after he was done, he ended up getting another or never really got over the one he had. Augmentin seemed to work best for him. He also seemed to have a constant sinus infection/stuffy nose, too .

I guess I'd call the clinic even though you have an appointment next week. We once got chastised for not bringing him in sooner because he had an appointment toward the end of the week and we waited.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS had 4-5 the first year. Once it was because a doctor put him on Amoxicillan and shortly after he was done, he ended up getting another or never really got over the one he had. Augmentin seemed to work best for him. He also seemed to have a constant sinus infection/stuffy nose, too .

I guess I'd call the clinic even though you have an appointment next week. We once got chastised for not bringing him in sooner because he had an appointment toward the end of the week and we waited.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />I guess I'd call the clinic even though you have an appointment next week. We once got chastised for not bringing him in sooner because he had an appointment toward the end of the week and we waited.

babyluke

Thanks so much. I think this is one of the hardest things to figure out as a parent. Even with my kids who don't have CF I am always wondering when to go to the doctor-- and when it is just a virus and I will be wasting a trip and exposing them to worse stuff sitting in the waiting room.
That is interesting that DS got another ear infection after the Amox. b/c that is what happened to Luke, too. He was barely finished the Amox. when we noticed he was sounding horrible again and not wanting to sleep at night.
I think I am going to call his pediatrician in the am. She is really good about double checking everything with the clinic. We live over 2 hours from the clinic and it is so hard for them to work me in because I need so much notice just to get there. Hopefully they will just consult with the pediatrician and let us keep our appt. for next week.
Thanks again!
Angela

babyluke

Thanks so much. I think this is one of the hardest things to figure out as a parent. Even with my kids who don't have CF I am always wondering when to go to the doctor-- and when it is just a virus and I will be wasting a trip and exposing them to worse stuff sitting in the waiting room.
That is interesting that DS got another ear infection after the Amox. b/c that is what happened to Luke, too. He was barely finished the Amox. when we noticed he was sounding horrible again and not wanting to sleep at night.
I think I am going to call his pediatrician in the am. She is really good about double checking everything with the clinic. We live over 2 hours from the clinic and it is so hard for them to work me in because I need so much notice just to get there. Hopefully they will just consult with the pediatrician and let us keep our appt. for next week.
Thanks again!
Angela

babyluke

Thanks again!
Angela

babyluke

Thanks again!
Angela

babyluke

<br />That is interesting that DS got another ear infection after the Amox. b/c that is what happened to Luke, too. He was barely finished the Amox. when we noticed he was sounding horrible again and not wanting to sleep at night.
<br />I think I am going to call his pediatrician in the am. She is really good about double checking everything with the clinic. We live over 2 hours from the clinic and it is so hard for them to work me in because I need so much notice just to get there. Hopefully they will just consult with the pediatrician and let us keep our appt. for next week.
<br />Thanks again!
<br />Angela
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />