Ear infections

damiensmom

Damien has been on antibiotcs 3 times for a ear infection in 7 months and he just has done a round of ziromax. Our cf doctor prescribed that. I feel it was easier on him than amoxicillan and alot less of it. He is pulling hes ears and grabbing hes head, I mean hes starting to I do belive that it takes alot out of him whitch doesnt help our striving to be at our best potential health wise weight being my biggest concern. I mean he drinks alot of pediasure in a day and when hes ears hurt he doesnt feel like sucking or swallowing. I dont feel as if the antibiotics are working to well being as we keep getting ear infections. I will probebly not have to bring it up to hes doc she will address it im sure. I would like to know anyway to make him feel better and if anyone has any good advice on precautionary methods.

damiensmom

Damien has been on antibiotcs 3 times for a ear infection in 7 months and he just has done a round of ziromax. Our cf doctor prescribed that. I feel it was easier on him than amoxicillan and alot less of it. He is pulling hes ears and grabbing hes head, I mean hes starting to I do belive that it takes alot out of him whitch doesnt help our striving to be at our best potential health wise weight being my biggest concern. I mean he drinks alot of pediasure in a day and when hes ears hurt he doesnt feel like sucking or swallowing. I dont feel as if the antibiotics are working to well being as we keep getting ear infections. I will probebly not have to bring it up to hes doc she will address it im sure. I would like to know anyway to make him feel better and if anyone has any good advice on precautionary methods.

damiensmom

eli

Hi Aria,

One thing i know for sure, is that its common for young chn to suffer from ear infection's regularly.
If you find the anti-biotics aren't helping, why not try a natural alternative like
( ear candling). I alway's suffered as a kid and mum said it helped.

Also, keep him indoors when his ears are sore and if you do have to go out make hime wear a scarf or beanie that covers his ears. Tha helps alot too.

Another old fashined remedy that grandama used on me and my mother in-law still uses is. You get some shallot and cut off the green ends and toast them over an electric stove top. Once they begin to become moist, take them off and then twist and squeeze 2-3 drops of the juice/oil that comes out.

Hope this helps. They won't hurt to try them.

Good luck and i hope Damien feels better soon.

eli

Hi Aria,

One thing i know for sure, is that its common for young chn to suffer from ear infection's regularly.
If you find the anti-biotics aren't helping, why not try a natural alternative like

Also, keep him indoors when his ears are sore and if you do have to go out make hime wear a scarf or beanie that covers his ears. Tha helps alot too.

Another old fashined remedy that grandama used on me and my mother in-law still uses is. You get some shallot and cut off the green ends and toast them over an electric stove top. Once they begin to become moist, take them off and then twist and squeeze 2-3 drops of the juice/oil that comes out.

eli

Hi Aria,

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
For DS, Amoxicillan never worked all that well for his ear infections. Would treat him and end up having to go back a couple weeks later for augmentin. A couple of times, I'd stress to the urgent care doctor that I'd prefer augmentin and they'd refuse -- two weeks later we'd be back. Was talking to DH's cousin who used to have the same peds doctor we had about 10 years ago. Said the SAME thing happened to her non-cfer child.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
For DS, Amoxicillan never worked all that well for his ear infections. Would treat him and end up having to go back a couple weeks later for augmentin. A couple of times, I'd stress to the urgent care doctor that I'd prefer augmentin and they'd refuse -- two weeks later we'd be back. Was talking to DH's cousin who used to have the same peds doctor we had about 10 years ago. Said the SAME thing happened to her non-cfer child.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

izemmom

Emily also had several ear infections in the last few months. We did the augmentin thing, but then our pediatrician (Who is very well versed in cf and in Em's history with TOBI, etc...) prescribed rocefin (SP?). It is an injected antibiotic, given in the leg, one dose at a time over three consecutive days. It did the trick the first time, but then the infections came back...the ped. actually said her ears were the worst she'd seen ("Hours away from a rupture" YIKES!!!!) The tricky part was that Emily had not been tugging at her ears or acting sick!!! Anyway, after another dose of the rocefin, she got tubes 2 weeks ago. She goes tomorrow to see how they look. But, she definately feels better...she is all smiles, eating like a horse, sleeping through the night...and her balance and babbling are better! The tubes had worked wonders for m;y older daughter, so I"m hopeful that they will be without complication for EM, too.

One thing to consider as far as prevention, some docs feel there is a link between pacifier use/bottle feeding past 1 year and ear infection. Something about the sucking motion trapping fluid, I guess. I don't know, we never withheld either from her, but the peditrician mentioned it at our last appt. Maybe someone else on here had more info or a better explanation.

I do hope Damien feels better!

izemmom

Emily also had several ear infections in the last few months. We did the augmentin thing, but then our pediatrician (Who is very well versed in cf and in Em's history with TOBI, etc...) prescribed rocefin (SP?). It is an injected antibiotic, given in the leg, one dose at a time over three consecutive days. It did the trick the first time, but then the infections came back...the ped. actually said her ears were the worst she'd seen ("Hours away from a rupture" YIKES!!!!) The tricky part was that Emily had not been tugging at her ears or acting sick!!! Anyway, after another dose of the rocefin, she got tubes 2 weeks ago. She goes tomorrow to see how they look. But, she definately feels better...she is all smiles, eating like a horse, sleeping through the night...and her balance and babbling are better! The tubes had worked wonders for m;y older daughter, so I"m hopeful that they will be without complication for EM, too.

One thing to consider as far as prevention, some docs feel there is a link between pacifier use/bottle feeding past 1 year and ear infection. Something about the sucking motion trapping fluid, I guess. I don't know, we never withheld either from her, but the peditrician mentioned it at our last appt. Maybe someone else on here had more info or a better explanation.

izemmom

katyf13

This is right up my alley! (I'm a speech-language pathologist and I work in early intervention). If the infections are recurring, tubes are the best way to go. It's a really simple procedure and one the fluid is able to drain, the bacteria can't linger.

I would NOT try to put any home remedies into the ear. Ear infections occur in the middle ear. Anything put into the outer ear just sits in the ear canal, making nice little breeding ground for an outer ear infection (Swimmer's ear).

The best person to help you with ear concerns is an ENT. Better to get it cleared up soon! They can be really uncomfortable and he won't feel like eating.
(Also pacifier and bottle use does contribute to ear infections. The sucking motion closes the eustachian tubes which are the only way the middle ears naturally drain into the back of the throat). Kiddos with constant fluid/ear infections have fluctuating hearing loss as well, making learning speech difficult for some kids.

Everyone I've ever known to get tubes as seen improvement right away. Good luck!

katyf13

This is right up my alley! (I'm a speech-language pathologist and I work in early intervention). If the infections are recurring, tubes are the best way to go. It's a really simple procedure and one the fluid is able to drain, the bacteria can't linger.

I would NOT try to put any home remedies into the ear. Ear infections occur in the middle ear. Anything put into the outer ear just sits in the ear canal, making nice little breeding ground for an outer ear infection (Swimmer's ear).

The best person to help you with ear concerns is an ENT. Better to get it cleared up soon! They can be really uncomfortable and he won't feel like eating.
(Also pacifier and bottle use does contribute to ear infections. The sucking motion closes the eustachian tubes which are the only way the middle ears naturally drain into the back of the throat). Kiddos with constant fluid/ear infections have fluctuating hearing loss as well, making learning speech difficult for some kids.

Everyone I've ever known to get tubes as seen improvement right away. Good luck!

katyf13

damiensmom

Thank you. I wont put anything in hes ears I was told by my cf doc not to. Damien is over a year and our cf doc wants us to drink most of our calories so I need to get rid of the bottels. Yikes ! I will talk to our doc at clinic see about some tubes. I need to get this taken care of it for him.

damiensmom

Thank you. I wont put anything in hes ears I was told by my cf doc not to. Damien is over a year and our cf doc wants us to drink most of our calories so I need to get rid of the bottels. Yikes ! I will talk to our doc at clinic see about some tubes. I need to get this taken care of it for him.

damiensmom

bmombtoo

How about PE tubes? Josh just got some this summer: when they did his sinus surgery the plan was to drain the fluid from behind his ears (lots of fluid). However, the fluid was so abundant and sticky that he decided to tube him. Josh's CF symptoms are chest and sinus and ears.Seems to help. My older boys also had PE tubes but they were very young, like 3 or 4. I think you siad your CF doctor didn't want tubes, why? I'd be interested to know the reasoning there?

hopes he gets to feeling better.

bmombtoo

How about PE tubes? Josh just got some this summer: when they did his sinus surgery the plan was to drain the fluid from behind his ears (lots of fluid). However, the fluid was so abundant and sticky that he decided to tube him. Josh's CF symptoms are chest and sinus and ears.Seems to help. My older boys also had PE tubes but they were very young, like 3 or 4. I think you siad your CF doctor didn't want tubes, why? I'd be interested to know the reasoning there?

hopes he gets to feeling better.