Eating without enzymes

Fancy

Are there any types of food we can eat without having to take enzymes? I only ask because every now and then (not often) I forget to bring my tablets to work, and it would be nice to know there was still some food I could eat...

Jo20784

i am doing a experiment wit my enzymes att eh moment cos when i never took them i put on loads more weight then wen i do take them so i am giveign that ago again from Jo w/cf

anonymous

Enzymes are needed to breakdown fats and protienes. So anything that doesn't have them, i.e. fruits and veggies.
Debbie
24 w/ CF

anonymous

I was always told by my doctor that the higher the fat content the more pills you should take, so I would assume that anything without fat could be ingested without the need of enzymes.

anonymous

Ditto the last poster. I have a 7 month old that wants to eat everything all the time so I just saw the nutrtionist yesterday and she said anything with no fat and in my daughters case being only 7 months anything with fat that she cant eat close to the serving size of. So she said any fruits and veggies plain, cherrios, apple jacks ect, with no milk. So I guess there are really alot of things you can eat with no enzymes, look in the fat free section!

Fancy

Ummm, I think you should speak to the nutritionist again. People who are enzyme defiicient cant break down any long chain molecules, which include fats AND protiens. Whilst there may not be any fat in this type of food there is protien, and she will not be getting any of this protien from these foods which is exrtemely important in kids growing up.

The problem is, only short chain molecules can be absorbed through the large intestine walls. The enzymes in our food break down long chain molecules so that they can be absorbed. With out these enzymes, fats, oils, protiens and complex carbohydrates (not entirely sure about the carbs) are not absorbed and the patient suffers from malnutrition. It is especially important for kids growing up to get all the essential fatty acids and protiens they require, or they will suffer from stunted growth and all sorts of related problems.

Fancy

By the by, people with CF need twice as much fat and protien as normal people so these foods should NEVER be avoided and infact should be eaten more than any other.

serendipity730

I take enzymes with everything, I always have. Unless you really can't afford to pay for enzymes, is it really worth the potential consequences (drinking that disgusting Go-Lytely stuff.) Besides, enzymes have more than just lipase (the enzyme that breaks down fat) in them. Fruits and vegetables are safe to have without enzymes, but I can't imagine any nutritionist (a reputable one at least) saying a person with CF can get away with only taking enzymes for meals with fat in them.
To the woman with the young daughter - it would really be best for your daughter to get used to taking enzymes with everything. She will grow better and be more properly nourished.