Echogenic bowel - when did you find out?

sdavis227

We are pregnant and I am going in for the first trimester screening at 13 weeks. We found out with DS at 20 weeks that he had a bright bowel. Just curious if they would be able to see this at 13 weeks or is it something that shows up later?

When did you find out or what is the earliest you have heard of an echogenic bowel?

D

DaraR

Hi there,
I really don't know the answer to your question, but I wanted to share our experience with echogenic bowel. We found out that our youngest had echogenic and dilated bowel at around 30 weeks. I hade been getting monthly u/s starting at around 20 weeks since my oldest had MI, but nothing showed up until later. We then had an amnio to confirm the CF diagonsis, though it was a little silly to get it in retrospect. Our LO's bowel was hardly echogenic, though. Depending on which doctor I saw for the U/S, they would not even say it was echogenic. The main thing we saw was the dilated loop. That was very evident at around 30 weeks and continued to get worse until it perferated and I was induced at 37 weeks. So, I do have a point, and that is some times the echogenicity isn't the whole picture. And, depending on which doctor I saw, my LOs bowel wasn't echogenic. I think echogenicity is a very subjective thing and not always consistent between techs or even doctors.
Good luck and I hope all goes well.
Dara

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
When I had my U/S around 5 months the tech never saw it and I sometimes wonder if they missed it. DS had meconium illeus, was born about 3 weeks early.

B

bigsur

We are pregnant and I am going in for the first trimester screening at 13 weeks. We found out with DS at 20 weeks that he had a bright bowel. Just curious if they would be able to see this at 13 weeks or is it something that shows up later?

When did you find out or what is the earliest you have heard of an echogenic bowel?

Hello, I found out at 17 weeks that both of us were carriers and then in the same week (happened to have high resolution ultrasound scheduled) we found out his bowel was echogenic and indicative of CF. They stated sometimes if a woman has bleeding or spotting in early pregnancy you can see echogenic bowel but it usually will resolve. There are also varying grades of echogenic bowel. Kian was diagnosed at 8 days old.